Help with info on a Mannlicher Schoenauer rifle

What year was it proofed? Marking should be on underside of barrel just forward of chamber. Should be a 3 or 4 digit number a slash followed by 2 digit number denoting the year it was proofed.

Be sure to use proper fitting fine (thin) drivers.

MS Proof Marks.jpg

Rifle shown was the 711th arm to be 'Nitro Proofed' at Vienna (NPv) during calendar year 1907. It is an M1905 as identified by 'C 9.0' (9X56MS). The Steyr serial number is _1274_ which would be repeated on bolt, original stock.

I've never tried it, but have read (and viewed videos) that rubbing a bronze coin (pre 1982 U.S. Cent, old British Penny...) on those crusty spots may remove surface rust while leaving blueing intact.

Last edited:
What a neat rifle and thread. I drool over butter knife bolt handles. Thanks for starting the thread

Wow, thank you all for the replies and wealth of knowledge. I will get back to you on the proof date after work today. I managed to pick up some rounds for the rifle today so will be going onto the farm this afternoon to fire a few off for the first time in over 50 years.

Lovely old rifle, I’m after one of them myself, I have several 1903’s in 6.5x54.

Also a few Lee Speeds & Styer 93’s in 375Ex 2.5in, seem fairly powerful when you shoot them off as so light, I’m going to have a crack at a Scrub Bull with my Westley Richards when I finish this season, I hope ?

I don’t believe a lot of Taylor’s writing, if you read his stuff lots of errors in there, I think he made stuff up & learnt (or not) from others story’s ?

Mannlicher-Schoenauer are nice rifles, I also own two, but as far as the use of older rifles of various calibers is concerned, one always have to evaluate the opinions of all authors very critically, especially those from previous times. In the past, people could write whatever they wanted because it was difficult for readers to check that. Nowadays things look a little bit different and that's why I often don't understand why some people are still full of admiration for authors like Bell for example.

This applies also to the cartridge 9,5x57MS and its users. None of us were there when buffaloes and elephants were supposedly killed with it without any problems. How many rounds were necessary to kill this big game and how many game were wounded and not found is never mentioned. We use in our countries the cartridge 9,5x57MS primarily for wild boar hunting. You cannot make with this cartridge one suitable for big game hunting nowadays, despite what bullet or powder you use.

What year was it proofed? Marking should be on underside of barrel just forward of chamber. Should be a 3 or 4 digit number a slash followed by 2 digit number denoting the year it was proofed.

Be sure to use proper fitting fine (thin) drivers.

View attachment 617353
Rifle shown was the 711th arm to be 'Nitro Proofed' at Vienna (NPv) during calendar year 1907. It is an M1905 as identified by 'C 9.0' (9X56MS). The Steyr serial number is _1274_ which would be repeated on bolt, original stock.

I've never tried it, but have read (and viewed videos) that rubbing a bronze coin (pre 1982 U.S. Cent, old British Penny...) on those crusty spots may remove surface rust while leaving blueing intact.
I cannot seem to find any markings showing the proofing date. I see the Steyr serial number which is repeated throughout the rifle, there is a “V” logo, the only other number I see is the number 71 on the chamber. On the barrel is marked 375ex, NVp, and cordite 43 - 270 Max.

I’m battling to upload pictures at the moment but will post as soon as I can.

Fired off 10 rounds through her yesterday evening, what an amazing rifle to shoot, feels great and cycles brilliantly. All and all a very happy man.
IMG_8507.jpeg
IMG_8506.jpeg
IMG_8504.jpeg

Last edited:
These are British proof marks from proof house of London. I am not sure there is a date code for older rifles.

MS Proofs British.jpg

It is rather unusual (though not unheard of) for an M1910 to not have Austrian proofs as that is where they were manufactured. For Y1903 Military arms it would make sense, but not for a commercial arm.

Many (most) of the M1910 Take Down Model were marketed through British trade for which they were reproofed in England.

The 'Cordite 43 - 270 MAX .375 EX' is standard for a British proofed (reproofed) 9.5X57 and indicates a maximum load of 43 grains Cordite (roughly equivalent to IMR4895) pushing a 270 grain projectile of .375 inch diameter and is stamped on every 'Take Down Model' M1910 of which I have ever viewed images.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EMAValenti

Latest profile posts

matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Smo1127 wrote on duckfish's profile.
Neen doing Zelle or Venmo with other members, let me know if good for you and Ill give you my info. Im semding other orders out tomorrow so if paid today ill ship tomorrow
cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.
JG26Irish_2 wrote on 9412765's profile.
RE: Interarms Whitworth 375HH f/sale f/$850. If still available, I will buy it. I am in KY can do a face to face deal. My e-mail is:

kent.warco.llc@gmail.com or PM me here. Cell is: 606-923-3162

Your 5 hrs f/me. You travel to OH w/work. If you can be at Cincinnati, OH that 1/2 way. I can travel most days but Friday afternoons are best. Let's set up a date/time/location to meet up.
thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.