Rare Breed

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I am probably just stupid...I had my two Gemsbok horns made into really cool lamps complete with porcupine quill shades. My problem is I have never seen the attached type socket that holds the bulb. I have two questions please:
1. Do I remove the two posts shown in the picture so that a Haligen type bulb fits?
2. If not what type bulb fits?
3. Where can I buy them?...my local hardware store had no idea.

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Attachments

• Light Bulb.jpg
    Light Bulb.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 62
  • Gemsbok Light.jpg
    Gemsbok Light.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 65
it looks almost like some type of automotive light connection, but shouldn’t be too hard to replace with a standard style screw in fixture.

Looks like a twist/lock style base. Should be able to find halogen or LEDs that will work.

Very nice lamps @Rare Breed. Those are standard South African bayonet fittings. I suppose you can have them changed to rather work with some readily available USA bulbs, or have a hunter in RSA bring some bulbs back for you.

You should be able to order online though. Here are the specs:

IMG_3999.JPG

IMG_4002.JPG

IMG_4003.JPG

IMG_4004.JPG

It might also be a good idea to let the taxidermist know that threaded fittings are preferred in the States.

Very nice lamps @Rare Breed. Those are standard South African bayonet fittings. I suppose you can have them changed to rather work with some readily available USA bulbs, or have a hunter in RSA bring some bulbs back for you.

View attachment 623313
View attachment 623314
View attachment 623315
View attachment 623316

It might also be a good idea to let the taxidermist know that threaded fittings are preferred in the States.
Even if he gets bulbs, they are 220 volt whereas US houses are all wired with 110 volt outlets. I believe RSA also runs at 50 htz compared to our 60.

I had lamps made in RSA but sent the taxidermist lamp kits that included our sockets and lamp shade holders so he could make them US compliant.

I'm sure these can re done.

Good point. I forgot you guys run on 110V / 60Hz.

View attachment 623313
View attachment 623314
View attachment 623315
View attachment 623316

Thanks!!!

Even if he gets bulbs, they are 220 volt whereas US houses are all wired with 110 volt outlets. I believe RSA also runs at 50 htz compared to our 60.

I had lamps made in RSA but sent the taxidermist lamp kits that included our sockets and lamp shade holders so he could make them US compliant.

I'm sure these can re done.
I am having my electrition swapping out the sockets in both to US sockets

Thanks everyone!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkusRote

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?