Help me pick my next R8 caliber

@nomspc my thinking has been running along the same lines as your suggestion. I’m a big fan of the 300 and I know it would cover me for out west and Namibian PG.

I do find myself hunting more in Europe and the eastern U.S. these days and that’s why 30/06 is tempting. But I don’t think it provides a big advantage over the 9.3 in terms of range for when I take the R8 out west or to Africa.

Do you hand load? The reason I ask is if you do not, I’d recommend .308 for availability of cheap practice ammo. Your 9.3mm will cover all your European/PG from both a ballistic and availability of ammunition perspective.
If you can hand load your own practice ammo, then go with ‘06.

@Lone Star Bluegrass - For a less expensive ammo option, the 223REM or better yet a 22lr would be the way to go. Shooting a .30 caliber (regardless of chambering) is always going to be more expensive than either of those.

Having a rifle with the exact same fit regardless of caliber is one of the things that make this platform so great.

@nomspc my thinking has been running along the same lines as your suggestion. I’m a big fan of the 300 and I know it would cover me for out west and Namibian PG.

I do find myself hunting more in Europe and the eastern U.S. these days and that’s why 30/06 is tempting. But I don’t think it provides a big advantage over the 9.3 in terms of range for when I take the R8 out west or to Africa.
In 2012, I was in the Khomas Hochland of Namibia chasing a wounded zebra. The shot I got was 400 yards, steeply downhill and he was a few seconds from cover. An ‘06 would probably have been fine, but I was very happy to have a 300WM.

In 2012, I was in the Khomas Hochland of Namibia chasing a wounded zebra. The shot I got was 400 yards, steeply downhill and he was a few seconds from cover. An ‘06 would probably have been fine, but I was very happy to have a 300WM.
No points deducted for making them dead more quickly.

If you're used to 308 or 30-06, check out the 300 win mag or Wby. There's a good reason why those 2 are used by serious world wide hunters on just about everything except DG. More speed helps out there at 400 plus...not common in Africa but fairly common in the mountains. More speed isn't really a problem at short range either. I took a bushbuck at 20 yards with my R8 300 win mag this month, no problem. The bullet that covers all that for me is a 180 TTSX at 3000fps.

What logic to choose calibers?

This is an age-old question, and there are several paths to follow.

For example...

Some will get a caliber that has captured their imagination

This was my case with the .340 Wby after the iconic article Leader of the Pack by Ross Seyfried in the September 1989 edition of Guns & Ammo, that I posted there before for AH members' pleasure:

Is this a valid criteria? Heck yes! Nothing beats getting what you desire...

Is it always a great rational choice? Not necessarily. In my case, the .340 Wby IS everything Ross Seyfried says it is, and one can veritably hunt anything anywhere with it, from gophers in the US to Elephant in Africa, through Argali sheep in Asia, but there is a downside: recoil is substantial...

Some will only get metric calibers

And why not if this is what tickles your fancy...

From 5.6 mm through 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, 8mm, 9.3mm, 11.2mm, to 12.7 mm, and everything in between, you can get whatever you want.

I share dchamp's love for the 8x68S, and one could think of a lot worse battery than 6.5x68; 8x68; 9.3x64 (OK 9.3x62 wins!); 12.7×70.

Note: the 9.3x64 more than makes up for the 9.3x62 limited reach/power, and is considered by folks in the know as the only mid-bore actually better than the .375 H&H, but it has sadly all but disappeared from the market. As to the 12.7×70mm Schuler, re-baptized .500 Jeffery by the Brits, it needs no introduction as a "stopper" cartridge.

Some will only get "classic" calibers

The 9.3x62 fully qualifies, although some may have a more limited definition of "classic" as "British".

In this vein, the .275 Rigby - which is nothing but the re-baptized 7x57, a legend in its own right - would go very well with the 9.3x62 on one side, and the .404 Jeffery on the other side. Aficionados are also familiar with its other designation: the 10.75x73, and whether Jeffery or Mauser designed the cartridge remains a little unclear...

And some only want American cartridge; and some only want belted cartridges, and some only want beltless cartridges, etc. etc.

A rational approach?

It seems to me that all the above considerations duly acknowledged, there can be a rational and easy way to consider calibers selection. My own rationale has evolved to consider diameter as a prime criterion, assuming that all other factors remain equal (e.g. not mixing black powder with smokeless powder, lead bullets with modern bullets; etc. etc.

I have come to believe that a progression of ~0.05" or ~1mm makes sense and that a battery articulated on this make eminent sense, For example, .25" to .30" to .35" (OK, .375" wins!) to .40" to .45" to .50" is a strong rationale. And 6mm (OK, 6.5 wins!) to 7mm to 8mm to 9mm to 10mm (or 11mm) to 12.7mm is essentially similar.

So, where to go after 9.3x62?

Why 9.3x62 to begin with?
If this was just an opportunity purchase, the next step can go in almost any direction.

But if this was a conscious choice for a reduced recoil mid-bore (and this is a very strong rationale, namely the reason why my wife shoots the 9.3x62 rather than the .375 H&H), then the rationale can be further embodied.

Going down with low recoil in mind... In this case, the .30/06 makes a lot more sense than the .300,

Later on, a .25/06 would be almost ideal if Blaser offered it. Sadly they do not, which is a shame if you ask me because it is a great caliber. But one can still find happiness in one of the six 6.5 that Blaser offers, including of course the 6.5x55, which, excuse my blasphemy, is every bit as practical for hunting purposes as the currently fashionable Creedmoor that really shines for long-range paper punching.

Therefore Shako Badhan, your thinking, either purely coincidentally, or based on the same low recoil rationale, and mine are in complete agreement, and to your question .30/06 or 6.5x55? I would answer: in time, both!

As to the .308, I see its value in military applications, but I entirely fail to see why someone would select it for hunting applications over the .30-06 that can carry a much bigger payload. The .308 will not do well with a 200 gr slug...

Going up with low recoil in mind... There are not too many options, because the concept of low recoil quickly fade above 9mm in a cartridge assumedly tasked with killing, and preferably "stopping" dangerous game. Stopping is a misnomer, because kinetically it would take something along the line of a howitzer to actually stop in its track a charging buffalo or elephant with anything else than a brain shot, but "stopper" is an accepted term for calibers designed to deal with charging DG...

Going up with relative low recoil in mind would lead logically to the .404, but Blaser does not offer it. I wonder why by the way, because I would expect sales to be brisk in the British and U.S. markets. But there is an interesting alternative: the new RWS 10.3x68. For lack of either. I guess that the .46 Rem or .458 Win are the default choice, and the Blaser .458 Lott will do as it can fire the .458 Win. But in truth either .416 Rem or .458 Win are substantially above what I would characterize as mild recoil.

After market barrels?

To each their own, by my own experience, and that of many others, trying to deal with J. Sip & Sons and Pale Horse has frozen my enthusiasm. And quality appears, well, let's say, uneven compared to Blaser.

To each their own, but right, wrong, or indifferent, only Blaser factory barrels find their way on my R8...

Last edited:
@Lone Star Bluegrass - For a less expensive ammo option, the 223REM or better yet a 22lr would be the way to go. Shooting a .30 caliber (regardless of chambering) is always going to be more expensive than either of those.

Having a rifle with the exact same fit regardless of caliber is one of the things that make this platform so great.

Agreed and valid.
I was working with the assumption that the OP could use those and not have to swap the bolt face. I didn’t even know that .22 LR was an option, TBH.

Last year I bought an R8 with 9.3x62 barrel from another AH member. I have been enjoying greatly ever since, it’s just hard to beat. I think the time has come to add another barrel and would appreciate some input.

My thinking is to go in one of two directions. Given I already have a medium bolt head get a less expensive to shoot but still very capable caliber such as…
30-06
6.5x55

Or, pick up a magnum bolt head and a 300 WM barrel. The thinking is the 9.3 and 300 would get me a pretty good one rifle two barrel battery.

As I said I would appreciate the input, what do you all think?

Add the’06 barrel to the mix and you’ll have North American hunting covered…..with style.

However, the 308 will work just as well if you’re a red neck.

@One Day... I appreciate your well reasoned post. It just the sort of dialogue that makes this forum what it is. I agree with your logic as well. I think I’m leaning strongly towards the 30/06 for a number of reasons including the points you raised.
Great choice. I think I end up using my 30/06 more than all the others except 223.

@One Day... I appreciate your well reasoned post. It just the sort of dialogue that makes this forum what it is. I agree with your logic as well. I think I’m leaning strongly towards the 30/06 for a number of reasons including the points you raised.
Still think a 257WBY makes more sense with a 300WM and 375H&H for a supporting cast. Then you can add a 458LOTT for your big boy rifle and still use the same bolt head.

But still keep a 223REM or 22lr for practice.

That’s exactly what I did after a lot of research. 257, 300, 375 and will add the 458 Lott. Also have the 22 rimfire. Very happy with it all.

257wby ammo is expensive with not a ton of bullet options.
Barnes 100 grain TTSX and done. LOL.

Yeah, not a cheap option…but it’s not exactly a cartridge made for volume shooting.

Weatherbys aren't made for plinking. If you don't reload, $2.50 a round for premium hunting ammo isn't bad. $50 in ammo is by far the cheapest part of a trip to Africa. Remember, it's the only thing that will drop the animal that we spend all this time and $ chasing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlenaDorri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.