Help me pick my next R8 caliber

Based on my experience with the wonderful 9,3x 62 I would see no need for a 30-06 or 300 win mag at all.

I would definitely look at something smaller than 30 cal to get a wider difference in barrels- I would look at 280 rem/284 win or 270 win if you want a bit more versatility. As mentioned a 6.5x55 is classic and very effective for recoil. For a flat shooter hard to beat the 25-06.

The next step up has to be a .375cal + for sure. That would justify the mag bold head

Last edited:
Based on my experience with the wonderful 9,3x 62 I would see no need for a 30-06 or 300 win mag at all.

I would definitely look at something smaller than 30 cal to get a wider difference in barrels- I would look at 280 rem/284 win or 270 win if you want a bit more versatility. As mentioned a 6.5x55 is classic and very effective for recoil. For a flat shooter hard to beat the 25-06.

The next step up has to be a .375cal + for sure. That would justify the mag bold head
I agree, the 9.3 will do everything a 30 cal can do and more, I vote for the 6.5x55 or 25-06 or even a 22-250, for roe and varmints.

We currently have a 22lr, 375H&H and two 300WM (his & her's) barrels. If I were to go for a smaller caliber, I'd most likely stay with the MA bolt head and go for a 257WBY or 6.5PRC.

If you want to stay with the ST bolt head, 30-06 and 6.5x55 would be great additions to a 9.3x62.

Ah, forgot to mention a 7x57 Mauser! Now that is another historic cartridge for sure.

If a main goal was cheaper ammo to practice then consider reloading. That way you can get the cool kids cartridges and not worry about finding loaded ammo and price!

My persoanl pref is non magnum with non magnum
Then u dont even have to change mags or bolt head
9.3 with any of those 3 would be great i have 9.3 and the 6.5 never looked back

Ah, forgot to mention a 7x57 Mauser! Now that is another historic cartridge for sure.

If a main goal was cheaper ammo to practice then consider reloading. That way you can get the cool kids cartridges and not worry about finding loaded ammo and price!
I wish they did barrels for the R8 in that caliber, I may be wrong but I don’t think they do. It would be my first choice.

Does anyone know if that’s an offered caliber?

I wish they did barrels for the R8 in that caliber, I may be wrong but I don’t think they do. It would be my first choice.

270WIN or 7x64 is as close as it gets without going to J Sip or Pale Horse Zero.

1720567744240.png

I'm also a fan of the .30 caliber boolits.
If practicality is the order of the day, I recommend the 30-06 or 300WM as ammo will be readily available if you have that need.

Your thoughts on combinations using the same bolt head are very valid for reducing complexity or confusion during travel.

As an aside, I put a tbac ultra 7 on my r8 300WM barrel cut to 22.5"
It lost no velocity and groups the same with TTSX in 168 and 180 grain sizes.
The bonus is the length increased by 3.5", it balances quite well, and my subjective shoulder feel seems to me like shooting a 150 gr 308. Quite tame and still moving at speeds to accomodate 6-800 yards.

My favorite R8 caliber is the 8x68s. But it takes a ME medium bolt head not a ST standard bolt head and finding ammo may be a problem depending what part of the world you are in. If you can get components I think you’ll find it’s easy to get a load developed.

My all time favorite caliber and second choice for the R8 is the 8x57. Think of it as a 30-06 only better.:) dang I can’t get the smiley I want to pop up.

Last edited:
I
Last year I bought an R8 with 9.3x62 barrel from another AH member. I have been enjoying greatly ever since, it’s just hard to beat. I think the time has come to add another barrel and would appreciate some input.

My thinking is to go in one of two directions. Given I already have a medium bolt head get a less expensive to shoot but still very capable caliber such as…
30-06
6.5x55

Or, pick up a magnum bolt head and a 300 WM barrel. The thinking is the 9.3 and 300 would get me a pretty good one rifle two barrel battery.

As I said I would appreciate the input, what do you all think?
I wish I had bought a .300 decades ago. It can just bout do it all!

I have a 375/300WM combo and IMHO it's great. I would love to add a '06 and 223.

Where are you guys getting your barrels threaded? I have a TBAC as well as a couple of other suppressors that I would like to try on the R8

I have a 375/300WM combo and IMHO it's great. I would love to add a '06 and 223.

Where are you guys getting your barrels threaded? I have a TBAC as well as a couple of other suppressors that I would like to try on the R8
I have one 300WM barrel that came threaded from the factory. The 22lr barrel was threaded by a machinist that does work for Top Dog Guns Global, but I'm not sure who Van uses.

There's a blazer authorized machinist with a little shop just Northeast of San Antonio on the Eastern side of canyon lake.
Tip Burns
210 508 7961

I believe but am not certain that Blaser USA (in San Antonio) sends them to this guy as well.
Warranty and such still good after work done by him.

He actually cut the piece of the barrel removed for length with a matching ID thread and cold blued it for a thread protector when a can is not installed. Turn time was 1 business day.

Last year I bought an R8 with 9.3x62 barrel from another AH member. I have been enjoying greatly ever since, it’s just hard to beat. I think the time has come to add another barrel and would appreciate some input.

My thinking is to go in one of two directions. Given I already have a medium bolt head get a less expensive to shoot but still very capable caliber such as…
30-06
6.5x55

Or, pick up a magnum bolt head and a 300 WM barrel. The thinking is the 9.3 and 300 would get me a pretty good one rifle two barrel battery.

As I said I would appreciate the input, what do you all think?
If it was me, I'd go with the new bolt head and .300 WM barrel. I used a .300 for PG on my last safari. Worked every bit as well as I hoped it would. If the 9.3 and .300 seem to.be too close in performance for you the .30-06 is something everyone should own.

Pale Horse Zero makes good barrels. I would check with them to see if they have a 7x57 reamer.

The Blaser barrels are pretty straight forward to do.
For various reasons, we've had to resort to making our own here in SA.
Just off the top of my head I can recall 25-06, 284 Win, 243 AI, 7x64 AI, 300H&H etc.

One of them was a 26" 7mm RM with a slightly longer than standard freebore.
Good luck trying to out perform the old classic with a 7PRC.

I think the decision on your next caliber should be driven by your likely hunting requirements. My first R8 caliber was also the 9.3X62 and I’ve used that for lots of game under 300 yards. If elk is on the menu, I would go for the 300WM due to the edge it gives you regarding unpredictability of range, angle, weather and a very tough animal. For the most part, any of the 3 standard calibers you mention are great, versatile choices, although the .30-06 will allow you to drive heavier bullets than the others, if that’s important to you. Most of my R8 hunting has been 300WM, followed by .375 H&H, followed by .308.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frydge6939

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available