Help me pick my next R8 caliber

Shako Badhan

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Last year I bought an R8 with 9.3x62 barrel from another AH member. I have been enjoying greatly ever since, it’s just hard to beat. I think the time has come to add another barrel and would appreciate some input.

My thinking is to go in one of two directions. Given I already have a medium bolt head get a less expensive to shoot but still very capable caliber such as…
30-06
6.5x55

Or, pick up a magnum bolt head and a 300 WM barrel. The thinking is the 9.3 and 300 would get me a pretty good one rifle two barrel battery.

As I said I would appreciate the input, what do you all think?

I am pretty happy with .300RUM as my longer distance cartridge. So, .300 WM should work well for you as well.

There's nothing wrong with those 3 classic calibers to match up with your 9.3 barrel. I just got back from a trip with a R8 in 300 win mag and that's a pretty versatile caliber. Numerous plains game were taken cleanly with 180 TTSX. Most of your shots in Africa will be well under 200 yds...many under 100. You don't need a mag bolt head but get what's most interesting to you.

I started with a 9.3x62 as well. I added a .270 and .300 Wby.
I’d either add a DG round : .375 H&H or a flat shooting round: .300 mag

300 Win Mag for the win!

HH

Another vote for 30-06 to keep bolt the same.

30-06 and 168ttsx leaves me not wanting much. Good to 400 if you want.

270 if you want lighter and not be as close to 9.3

Swap barrel and go!

I’d be tempted to say .270 win to pair with a 9.3x62. But it depends on what you plan to use it for. The .308 would be an easy to feed relatively affordable option too.

Personally for my R8 I went with .22lr, 30-06, and .375 H&H. But that requires 3 bolt heads too.

Step up to the MA bolt head with a 300WM and (at least) a 375H&H. Although, once bitten by the mid-bore bug a proper big bore 416RM or 458LOTT could also be in the works. ;)

I do like the caliber and I’ve hunted (two legged) animals with it before. I think I want to go a big heavier as the smallest I’ll use it for is roe deer.
It’s weird to think about, but 223 is a great caliber for roe deer. Use a modern fragmenting bullet and you’re golden.

Also it’s just a great cheap practice round. You’ll shoot way way more. And, bc it’s an r8 it’s the exact same shouldering and feel as any other caliber

30/06 next is the practical choice of the options you listed. Talk about damning with faint praise…

It’s still what I’d go with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilomenaW

Latest profile posts

I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.
RLP wrote on professor's profile.
Good morning. I am a Ruger fan myself. Have you sold to anyone on the site before? How old is the ammo?

RLP
We have been very busy hunting! Lots of pictures and videos in process!

Grandpa Moose wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Thanks for the advice/help. Hope the kids get a good plug from my mis post. Rain like crazy here