Help Me Build My Rifle

My Savage action Barreled in 338-06 at 200 meters using a standard trigger . The barrel is a 24" Heavy Sporter from Apache Arms. As you can see I haven't invested in one of the High Priced scopes
P1010027.JPG

I don't know. You did pretty good with that scope and your choice of rings is spot on. (y)

My 7-08 also on a Savage 110 action with a Apache Arms 24"heavy sporter barrel shoots just as good

The 9.3x62 would be a cartridge that would work with very little work needed to the action. Cases are easy to get and there are various bullet weights. The heavy bullets work for your North Carolina wooded terrain and they would do a nice job for bear or wild hogs.

The only disadvantage I can see in the 35 Whelen is some countries in Africa allow the 9.3 to be used on DG and not the 35 caliber.
If you’re planning to eventually get a bigger caliber for DG, the 35 Whelen should do well on anything in North America using proper bullets.

9.3x63 is definitely on the short list now. Does everyone feel about the same about the .35 Whelen?
Love the Whelen

35 Whelen gets my vote with the 225 Acubond it will cover all NC game.
Shawn
And you can use existing 06 brass just need to stretch the neck to 35cal or just buy 35Whelen brass which is plentiful and recoil is no problem

well jake,

you know what opinions are like, heres mine. if i had m druthers, i would rather have the 9.3 x 62 than the whelen. i think it has more and better bullet options. also, i like the sectional density of the 9.3. i think the 35 with 250 a bit short of a bullet. i just like the 9.3 better. i think it is just a bit more of everything.

either way, it is bigger than an 06, a pretty substantial jump up in caliber and power.

my 2 cents,

don

Of course just one more opinion, but I’ve shot this thing since 1977. 358 Norma Mag 2800 fps 4350 ft lbs kenitic energy. 250 gr A-Frame. Or load the 225 Accubond & there’s a 280 gr out there as well. Load it up or down yourself, or Norma has great off the shelf ammo. And you can kill anything on this continent with it, not just NC.

And you can use existing 06 brass just need to stretch the neck to 35cal or just buy 35Whelen brass which is plentiful and recoil is no problem
^^ this ^^ is what I like most about the whelen..

In addition to: easy to find factory ammo.. easy to reload if you are so inclined.. and much of what I already have on hand for .30-06 (laser bore sighter, cartridge pouch, etc..etc..) also works perfectly for the whelen since they use the same parent case..

Gents, what I have is a older Savage long action, a timney trigger, and a nice walnut stock built to my LOP. What I don’t have is a barrel for this semi-custom rifle. I’m looking to take suggestions for what caliber my “new” rifle should be chambered in. It currently has a .470” bolt face on it, but that can be swapped with little difficulty.

For reference, I already have a .223 and a .270 in my safe and I have access to a .30-06 whenever I need it. So folks, tell me what I need.
JakeH
You NEED A 35 WHELEN mate, loaded properly it will do everything a 338 win mag will do out to any sane hunting range.
Bob

Gents, what I have is a older Savage long action, a timney trigger, and a nice walnut stock built to my LOP. What I don’t have is a barrel for this semi-custom rifle. I’m looking to take suggestions for what caliber my “new” rifle should be chambered in. It currently has a .470” bolt face on it, but that can be swapped with little difficulty.

For reference, I already have a .223 and a .270 in my safe and I have access to a .30-06 whenever I need it. So folks, tell me what I need.
Jake
20200201_135545.jpg

My savage Whelen.

I'm not sure if a Savage bolt will hold belted brass but if it does How about a 300HH ?
Rob404 you could cut the bolt in half and it would still contain the pressure. It's the lugs on the bolt that contains the backthrust not the diameter of the bolt. You could use a peice of fencing wire for a bolt body as long as you can lock the lugs into battery.
The savage will handle any 06 length magnum with a change of bolt head. That's why savage bolts are modular. Youcan change a bolt head in ten minutes.
The action is too short for the 300 and 375 H&H
Bob

9.3x63 is definitely on the short list now. Does everyone feel about the same about the .35 Whelen?
JakeH
Mate I took the Whelen to Namibia and flattened everything I shot.
The Whelen is under loaded by factories but if you reload that can turn it into a big hitter.
Speer reloading site list the 240grain hotcore at 2,700fps with CFE223
Nosler lists 225grain accubonds at 2,850 fps with Varget.
Both these loads give over 4,000fpe of muzzle energy
Iff you want even better the 225grain woodleigh PPSP with a good dose of cfe223 you can get 2,950 fps for 4,300fpe of muzzle energy .
These are the loads I use and have chronoed velocities I get. I use a 25 inch barrel with a 1 in 12 twist.
Bob.

well jake,
you know what opinions are like, heres mine. if i had m druthers, i would rather have the 9.3 x 62 than the whelen. i think it has more and better bullet options. also, i like the sectional density of the 9.3. i think the 35 with 250 a bit short of a bullet. i just like the 9.3 better. i think it is just a bit more of everything.

either way, it is bigger than an 06, a pretty substantial jump up in caliber and power.

my 2 cents,

don
1dirthawker.
You can get 280 swift Aframe, 275 and 310 grain RNSP and solid Woodleigh bullets and if you want the ultimate in penetration go the 225 grain hydrostatic stabilized projectiles. These are for the 35 mate so we have plenty of selection for it from 125 to 310 grains. Should cover everything you need.
Bob

And we still have that Secret Handshake going for us

My next Custom build I am really kicking around the idea of an 8mm Remington mag. So, since its been on my mind lately, just giving you something to think about as an unusual option.
Obviously, only IF the action is long enough.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottUnpak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.