Health and Wellness PSA

M
Pneumonia took my brother and nearly my wife too. It is not to be taken lightly. We get the vax regularly.
Add a colonoscopy to the old boy list. On the positive side you get a whole morning off work and lose a kg or two.
The anesthesia they use for colonoscopy in the states is propofol. Now I see why Michael Jackson was addicted to the stuff. :-). I think I’m going to have a colonoscopy on a monthly basis. :-)

As long as I sat up in my chair, it was 94-95, if I slouched down a bit, it would creep down to 92-93, and if I lay down, it went to 90-91 pretty quickly. If you lie down, the liquid gunch can cover more surface area of lung.
I mentioned this post to the wife and she said that was exactly how it worked.

I hope you are getting better and beating this pneumonia!

At 50 years old the following should be begun if not sooner.
Visit and begin your Cardiology life. Most will benefit from being placed on a Statin and Baby Aspirin
Colonoscopy
Yearly PSA test as part of your yearly(Every 6 months is better) blood work
All the latest vaccines that are not experimental.

Obviously in it's time to take control of your health.

HH

I would a
Visit and begin your Cardiology life. Most will benefit from being placed on a Statin and Baby Aspirin
Colonoscopy

HH
Colonoscopy

HH
I would add a yearly dermatologist visit if you have spent a substantial amount of time in the sun.

I would a

I would add a yearly dermatologist visit if you have spent a substantial amount of time in the sun.
Some of us already see a derm every 6 months. ;)

I would a

This is very important. I have had to deal with multiple melanomas in my life, they are no fun and every time is an extremely dangerous situation.

mine backed off to once a year after a few years of every 6 months, hope your still on the mend from your pneumonia!
I had a pretty big (and deep) precancerous one removed from my scapula a couple years ago, and quite a number of others besides.

Colonoscopy

HH
Current research and data on cardiovascular disease says...maybe not.

The newer research shows that the best predictor of cardiovascular health is the ratio between triglycerides and HDL - 2 : 1 or lower is a strong indicator for little or no coronary arterial calcium (arterial plaque). There are a number of different molecules classified as "LDL," so an overall LDL number doesn't indicate very much, one way or another.

Personally, having gone nearly carnivore, my triglycerides are down in the low 70s (from over 200 a couple years ago) and my HDL is in the upper 50s, for a ratio of about 1.2 : 1. During that time, I've also been able to go off my BP meds entirely.

The older I get, the more I become convinced that most of the chronic issues we deal with in the west are diet-related, and the food pyramid (in all its iterations) is the big contributor to that poor state of health.

Cut way back on carbs, watch your triglycerides plummet.

One of my biggest gripes about statins, even if they do what they're purported to do, is they deprive the male body of the building blocks for testosterone production. Cholesterol is a fundamental component of testosterone. Not a coincidence that STERO is the root of both words.

Current research and data on cardiovascular disease says...maybe not.

The newer research shows that the best predictor of cardiovascular health is the ratio between triglycerides and HDL - 2 : 1 or lower is a strong indicator for little or no coronary arterial calcium (arterial plaque). There are a number of different molecules classified as "LDL," so an overall LDL number doesn't indicate very much, one way or another.

Personally, having gone nearly carnivore, my triglycerides are down in the low 70s (from over 200 a couple years ago) and my HDL is in the upper 50s, for a ratio of about 1.2 : 1. During that time, I've also been able to go off my BP meds entirely.

The older I get, the more I become convinced that most of the chronic issues we deal with in the west are diet-related, and the food pyramid (in all its iterations) is the big contributor to that poor state of health.

Cut way back on carbs, watch your triglycerides plummet.

One of my biggest gripes about statins, even if they do what they're purported to do, is they deprive the male body of the building blocks for testosterone production. Cholesterol is a fundamental component of testosterone. Not a coincidence that STERO is the root of both words.

I’ve been in Cardiology for 30 years. Do as you please as I won’t argue with what you feel is best.

HH

It is well documented that, cardiovascular disease is mostly pre-determined by our individual genetic inheritance.
IE: If our family history suffered from it then, we are very likely to suffer from clogged arteries as well.
That said, we can cheat fate, at least a little bit, by avoiding the four cornerstones of early death, “sugar, yeast, starch and grease”.
This plus, if we exercise well and exercise often, we can potentially blow out the crust that otherwise literally glues itself to our vascular system.

An interesting anomaly is that, my mother’s parents both died in their 70’s from strokes (clogged arteries / serious blockage) in their necks).
Yet my mother, has very high cholesterol (around 400 total numbers) but today is alive and well at age 98.
She does not have a “sweet tooth” and remained thin, if not “skinny” all her life.
She never ate much animal fat or very salty foods (some but not much).
Furthermore, she has always remained quite active, mostly walking and bicycling until recently.
My father died at age 91 of cancer but, lived similar to my mother.
If it were not for the cancer (bone marrow), I suspect he’d have made it a lot longer.
His mother died, also from a stroke at age 89.
She definitely had a “sweet tooth” and was fat.
My father’s father died in his 50’s, due to sepsis from a botched gall bladder surgery.

Yours Truly

It is well documented that, cardiovascular disease is mostly pre-determined by our individual genetic inheritance.
IE: If our family history suffered from it then, we are very likely to suffer from clogged arteries as well.
That said, we can cheat fate, at least a little bit, by avoiding the four cornerstones of early death, “sugar, yeast, starch and grease”.
This plus, if we exercise well and exercise often, we can potentially blow out the crust that otherwise literally glues itself to our vascular system.

An interesting anomaly is that, my mother’s parents both died in their 70’s from strokes (clogged arteries / serious blockage) in their necks).
Yet my mother, has very high cholesterol (around 400 total numbers) but today is alive and well at age 98.
She does not have a “sweet tooth” and remained thin, if not “skinny” all her life.
She never ate much animal fat or very salty foods (some but not much).
Furthermore, she has always remained quite active, mostly walking and bicycling until recently.
My father died at age 91 of cancer but, lived similar to my mother.
If it were not for the cancer (bone marrow), I suspect he’d have made it a lot longer.
His mother died, also from a stroke at age 89.
She definitely had a “sweet tooth” and was fat.
My father’s father died in his 50’s, due to sepsis from a botched gall bladder surgery.

Yours Truly
I ranted quite a bit more on this subject but, my edits ran over the time limit.
Ooopsie.

I’ve been in Cardiology for 30 years. Do as you please as I won’t argue with what you feel is best.

HH
Cool beans. It was a cardiovascular surgeon who put me on this track.

@Velo Dog
99% of my family on both sides died around 74.
If my brother dies at 74 at 73 I'm going to have the biggest party my wife has ever seen. But then it would be my luck to be like one aunty that lived to 85.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

Bob, you need to show them all up and live to a spry 90 and go out on a stalk of a buffalo or some other critter and leave this world happy. This is how I want to leave this world but unfortunately we don’t have much of a choice!

Add a colonoscopy to the old boy list. On the positive side you get a whole morning off work and lose a kg or two.
Just went through that for the third time last week. I took two days off…one day for the clean-out prep and the second for the procedure. Not much fun but a small price to pay.
Shingles scares me. I need to get that vax.

Bob, you need to show them all up and live to a spry 90 and go out on a stalk of a buffalo or some other critter and leave this world happy. This is how I want to leave this world but unfortunately we don’t have much of a choice!
@Hunt anything
No mate die at 90 with a Bundy in one hand, my Whelen in the other while making love to a 20 year old while on safari.
That's my way to go. My luck will be die of a hearty reminiscing of Africa.
Bob

Are there different types of shots for pneumonia prevention? I have had pneumonia 2 times since getting the vaccine about 6 years ago. Perhaps there is a better one than whatever it was I took!

I will try to answer this.

Pneumococcus is another name for the bacteria Streptococcus pneumonea. There are multiple serotypes, or different strains of this one bacterium, and the Pneumococcal vaccine provides fairly good protection against 23 strains or serotypes of this one bacterium.

Pneumonia is a term for a clinical disease meaning infection of the lungs. By far the most common culprit to cause this is Streptococcus pneumonea, and hence the logic behind vaccination. However there are multiple other genuses and species of bacteria that can cause pneumonia, as well as viruses and fungi. The vaccine does not do anything to prevent these infections.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jubrin023

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?