Has it ever happened to you..

Yes, walked up on 4 lions after coming upon a dead kudu bull in Mozambique, coutada 9. Encounter was about 20 yards. If they hadn’t had full bellies it might have been dicey.

While searching for other PG in Limpopo we nearly stepped on a small pride of Lions sleeping after a Zebra kill. The old lioness was on the left, with two younger females and a juvenile male on the right. The lioness roused a little, raised her head and opened one eye to look at us. She bared one fang in a half-hearted snarl and then flopped back down and went to sleep. Too close for my comfort.

Lions2.jpg

While searching for other PG in Limpopo we nearly stepped on a small pride of Lions sleeping after a Zebra kill. The old lioness was on the left, with two younger females and a juvenile male on the right. The lioness roused a little, raised her head and opened one eye to look at us. She bared one fang in a half-hearted snarl and then flopped back down and went to sleep. Too close for my comfort.

View attachment 637967

Wow. I didn't realize there were lions in Limpopo. Was this on a private concession?

Wow. I didn't realize there were lions in Limpopo. Was this on a private concession?
I was in Limpopo close to where Botswana, Zimbabwe and South Africa come together. We were probably a half mile from the 3 borders and could hear loins well to the north in Zimbabwe or Botswana, I would think they could travel south and get into South Africa fairly easy I would think.

I was in Limpopo close to where Botswana, Zimbabwe and South Africa come together. We were probably a half mile from the 3 borders and could hear loins well to the north in Zimbabwe or Botswana, I would think they could travel south and get into South Africa fairly easy I would think.

Seems like they are more towards the extreme NE in Limpopo. We were around Lephalale. Probably just outside their range in that area.

Not that I wouldn't have liked to come across and at least seen them while I was there.

For me, Elephants do put the poo in your pants when they come for you :unsure: but lions have a way of putting that prime evil fear into you it’s hard to explain guess a caveman would understand

Closest I have ever come was having lion tracks in my morning boot tracks on the way out in the afternoon. I was able to follow the tracks where they came from and determined that cat was in a tree 20 yards off the trail when I walked by it that morning.

This year in Southern WY my uncle was sitting against a tree cow calling and caught movement to his left. It was a lion crouched down walking away from him. He was attentively watching for elk and has no idea how it got so close to him before he saw it.

.375 H&H with 300 grain barnes. 30 yards I think. One shot frontal brain. Her back feet went down so fast she left 10 feet of skid marks. She was doing over 30 miles per hour and breaking trees without slowing down. No question if it was a bluff charge. My P.H. was ready with a Heym 470 NE with 500 grain sledgehammers. It wasn't needed this time. Such a sad ending, it's been difficult to relay the story.
Did elephants are nothing to under estimate. I knew a PH slightly named Alan Lowe.He was caught and killed by a cow. Others here may have know him better than I did, but it made an impression on me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maybelle41

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]