Has anyone actually lost ammo?

On 2 of my safaris my gun arrived but my luggage did not, then on another trip both my gun and checked luggage did not arrive. I do not think this happens often, but for me, given the past, I stick to taking my .308 and or .375H&H.
@Andrew62 - I’d rather an airline lose my luggage & clothes then my rifle….don’t need clothes (can always hunt in a “grass skirt” and bare feet) but NEED rifle & ammo

Yep....sure did, in Spain. Fortunately the PH got together with security and 2 hours later found my rifle AND ammo. Later discussions with him, the PH said he had rifles and ammo as a back up. Lesson: contact your PH prior to the hunt and discuss a Plan B (that also should include replacement clothing). Since then, I always traveled in my hunting clothes (no camo) in the event of lost luggage, so I can still hunt while baggage catches up.

On the way to Zambia in 2021 my rifle and luggage arrived just fine but my ammo didn't make it with the luggage.They had removed it in Joburg. Luckily Laura Duplooy wife of Johnny (Muchinga adventures) got on the phone with Bruce from Gracy and it was on the next flight.

Ill start by saying ive never flown for a hunting trip. My idea would be to just ship my gear or simply just ammo there a few weeks in advance. I was surprised to only see one other person mention this. Is there a reason this isnt common practice?

Ill start by saying ive never flown for a hunting trip. My idea would be to just ship my gear or simply just ammo there a few weeks in advance. I was surprised to only see one other person mention this. Is there a reason this isnt common practice?
You have to travel with your firearm and ammo and permits need issued or verified on arrival. I’d also suspect (if this was possible) shipping to African countries would result in many more lost and stolen firearms and ammo and other valuable items than flying with them as baggage.

Maybe more common than I thought. Just one of those things I was thinking on when debating between a 404 Jeffery and a 416 Rigby. Sounds like the 416 is probably the smarter choice. Easier to source ammo and components as well.

Since my Russia experience, I do try to pack more clothes in my carry on. On that hunt I had a rain jacket and a puffy jacket in my carry-on, and I was wearing my hunting boots and pants and shirt. So I ended up wearing the same clothes for 18 days straight. Now when I travel, I make sure and put an extra change of clothes in my carry-on, and I still wear clothes I can hunt in on the plane as well.

Good stuff. Thanks

Well one thing we can glean from this thread is that if you are traveling by air with checked luggage things can get lost !

My personal plan is to have enough in my carry on to survive at least a few days in camp. With a daily laundry service this should not be impossible.
Ammunition…. I am more familiar with Namibia and Windhoek has at least 3 well stocked gun shops. Johannesburg O. T. Safari Outdoors are close by.

If you use factory ammunition I would suggest it’s a good idea to contact some of these shops and ascertain if they have that same ammunition in stock. You have the choice of picking it up locally and saving yourself the added grief of checking ammo and contributing to the local economy.

Calibers.. I would plump for the most common 243,308, 30-06, 300 win Mag, 375 H&H, 275/7x57 is possibly more common in SA than Namibia. Mine went awol on a trip and eventually found 1 box of PPU in a tiny Mom and Pop store in Grootfontein.

15 trips .......not once ..,...but twice other people in camp came up short.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
baconmaker

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.