Do German's just do it best?

They certainly make some nice production guns. But so do the Finns with SAKO. At least up the 85. I not not sure about the 95 and 100.

In 2017 I visited Ferlach in Austria, in particular Johann Fanzoi and Karl Hauptmann. Both visits were absolutely incredible, and both visits were with the owners, family members of course. In one case three generations. The level of craftsmanship and attention to detail and materials was very hard to even comprehend. They will both build exactly whatever you want, some want a functional piece of art, some want pure functionality. In one of them one wall had photos of past customers (With their consent). Many US presidents and other foreign leaders, Hollywood actors, etc..
Let me just say I could never afford such a rifle, but my good Austrian mate organised both visits for me. I remember one Fanzoi 98 was 600,000 euro. Covered in precious Ruby’s and diamonds. Most wouldn’t choose such options, but astonishingly they sell. One Hauptmann rifle was a triple rifle, cased in a 400 year old Scottish bible. And these two are just a small sample of what they do. My point is, that Austrian and German gun making in certain regions is not just about making a gun, it’s a huge part of their culture going back centuries. The whole town contributes in some way.
I will never forget those visits, as well as visiting the Gunsmith and Hunting museum the following day in Ferlach.
The funniest part was when I got back to my hotel, my wife says to me “did you buy a new gun today?”…

Attachments

• IMG_2303.jpeg
    IMG_2303.jpeg
    427.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2281.jpeg
    IMG_2281.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2299.jpeg
    IMG_2299.jpeg
    289.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2323.jpeg
    IMG_2323.jpeg
    316.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2309.jpeg
    IMG_2309.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2325.jpeg
    IMG_2325.jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 24
On a different but interesting note, Karl Hauptmann handed me a rifle at one stage, asking me what I thought of the trigger. I handled the rifle but couldn’t find the trigger. This rifle was a personal rifle of Kaiser Wilhelm, and was built for him when he had extremely bad arthritis in his hands, but still liked to hunt. On the top of the wrist grip was a button that was the trigger. There was no trigger guard or blade, just a button. The trigger feel was was precise and lovely to use.

In 2017 I visited Ferlach in Austria, in particular Johann Fanzoi and Karl Hauptmann. Both visits were absolutely incredible, and both visits were with the owners, family members of course. In one case three generations. The level of craftsmanship and attention to detail and materials was very hard to even comprehend. They will both build exactly whatever you want, some want a functional piece of art, some want pure functionality. In one of them one wall had photos of past customers (With their consent). Many US presidents and other foreign leaders, Hollywood actors, etc..
Let me just say I could never afford such a rifle, but my good Austrian mate organised both visits for me. I remember one Fanzoi 98 was 600,000 euro. Covered in precious Ruby’s and diamonds. Most wouldn’t choose such options, but astonishingly they sell. One Hauptmann rifle was a triple rifle, cased in a 400 year old Scottish bible. And these two are just a small sample of what they do. My point is, that Austrian and German gun making in certain regions is not just about making a gun, it’s a huge part of their culture going back centuries. The whole town contributes in some way.
I will never forget those visits, as well as visiting the Gunsmith and Hunting museum the following day in Ferlach.
The funniest part was when I got back to my hotel, my wife says to me “did you buy a new gun today?”…

Goodness me, a triple rifle!

If we are discussing factory rifles, in my opinion, Germany and Finland.

I had the opportunity to shoot many different rifles while I was a part-time gunwriter.

On a different but interesting note, Karl Hauptmann handed me a rifle at one stage, asking me what I thought of the trigger. I handled the rifle but couldn’t find the trigger. This rifle was a personal rifle of Kaiser Wilhelm, and was built for him when he had extremely bad arthritis in his hands, but still liked to hunt. On the top of the wrist grip was a button that was the trigger. There was no trigger guard or blade, just a button. The trigger feel was was precise and lovely to use.
Actually Kaiser Wilhelm II's left arm was crippled and withered from birth. Virtually all his photos and paintings will hide the arm or show him with the left hand in a pocket. I do not doubt the story, but it would be interesting to understand how that trigger arrangement helped.

This is one of the few photos showing the arm.

wilhelm.jpg

Actually Kaiser Wilhelm II's left arm was crippled and withered from birth. Virtually all his photos and paintings will hide the arm or show him with the left hand in a pocket. I do not doubt the story, but it would be interesting to understand how that trigger arrangement helped.

This is one of the few photos showing the arm.

View attachment 639602
Interesting, I never new that. If I spoke German and wasn’t relying on my Austrian mate to translate everything I may have learned more.

Goodness me, a triple rifle!
Yes, pretty different. It was nice to handle as well. That one was in 9.3x74r and another was being built while I was there in in .410 gauge.
They all came with one of these as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2340.jpeg
    IMG_2340.jpeg
    656.3 KB · Views: 10
If talking factory mass production rifles, it is hard to beat German or Finnish rifles. Especially considering that with most of them you do not need to tinker with them to get them to shoot reliably.

Yes, pretty different. It was nice to handle as well. That one was in 9.3x74r and another was being built while I was there in in .410 gauge.
They all came with one of these as well.

One of those triple barrel Hauptmann rifles in 9.3x74r just arrived last week in my usual gun shop, awaiting delivery to its final owner.

I got to hold it for a few seconds, it is surprisingly nimble in the hands, despite all the steel of three barrels.

I'll pull one of my fine German made rifles this weekend and post. Mauser (style) perfection in my Germanic rooted self.

germans got the mauser action going full steam ahead in the early 1900,s which is still the king today the English tweaked the style of the wood to suit there type of shooting , today the Italians produce actions that are made by CONCARI of Italy and used in germany by many top makers including RItterbusch with their takedown

Thanks for the post about Ferlach. That brings back fond memories! I, too, remember well the museum. In one display there was a rifle stock with a level of carving which approached the precision of metal engraving--but no pictures allowed. At the Guild, they told me that most of the town's Buchsenmachermeisters were encouraged from apprenticeship onward to speak English. I know that Karl Hauptmann was very fluent, as well as Borovnik and a few others. Borovnik's grandson is in full swing to learn the trade. Others are not so lucky to pass on the tradition... Many, like Jakob Koschat, are either gone or getting on in years. Peter Hoffmann has had his spread of wares at the last two DSC Conventions. EVERYONE with a shingle out in Ferlach is top 1% worldwide talent in all aspects and can build whatever your heart desires or pocketbook can afford! And they have walnut blanks to literally drool over.
I would encourage everyone on AH to google up the makers names and look at their websites, though it is almost more stimulation than many can bear. What a beautiful little town, and drop dead gorgeous guns, guns, guns.
If you visit, remember that you lose a full day getting there due to the time zone! And you will want at least two day for the visit, and the more, the better.
As Karl Hauptmann says, "Do you NEED a gun like this to go hunting? No--but it sure is fun!"

Last edited:
According to Jim Carmicheal, the whole world owes credit to American bench rest shooters for bringing up the standards of accuracy for all to strive for. I love Mannlicher Schoenauers for their function, but real accuracy was first developed over on our side of the pond. Now, even cheap guns do things that only the best could formerly achieve.

@Schroeder - very interesting details …thank you for posting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
homesflex

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.