Halloween rifle survey! (What would you choose to finally save Haddonfield from Michael Myers?!)

clockwork_7mm_gator

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Gents,

I tried this on a different forum a couple weeks back and things didn't go all that well. It was partly my own fault for posting a survey with complicated directions and partly because folks just didn't read the directions in the first place. (It's the internet, after all...) But I love Halloween movies, so I'm going to give this another shot! Here goes:

In Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers, it's Halloween night in 1988 when residents of Haddonfield learn that Michael is on the loose again, grab rifles, and go off looking for him in their trucks. At the end of the movie [SPOILER ALERT!] the local rednecks help the sheriff blast Michael into an abandoned mine shaft. The shooting starts at about 1:32 in this clip:

So, if someone banged on your door and said "Michael Myers is back, grab a rifle and get in the truck!" ... the question is what single rifle would you choose?

Here are the rules:
1. It has to be a rifle. (I know lots of people who grab a 12 gauge but that's not very fun!)
2. It has to be a rifle that existed in 1988.
3. It does NOT have to be a rifle that you owned in 1988 -- but it DOES have to be a rifle that you've owned at some point in your life. (I.e., I was 2 years old in 1988, so I didn't own any rifles, but I currently own rifles that existed in 1988. The point is to make sure you aren't selecting technology that didn't exist in 1988 or that the rifle it was/is impossible for civilians to own... for instance, an M2 machine gun.)

Given that criteria, what would you choose and why?

My choice: a mid-1980s JM Marlin 336 in 30-30 with 170 grain cup and core ammo. Certainly not the most powerful rifle in the safe, but at such close quarters, seems like plenty of oomph and a higher rate of fire than a bolt gun. It feeds perfectly, so I wouldn't have to be the guy who *almost* gets him in every movie only to have the gun jam...

Westley Richards 12 bore droplock Explora - strictly speaking, it’s a rifle….

Mini gun......yeah.....definitely a mini gun.
1457975707-oldpainless.gif

Last edited:
Westley Richards 12 bore droplock Explora - strictly speaking, it’s a rifle….
Win 1886 45-70 full length mag with 405 gr sp.

Well my M14 rifle wasn't actually made until the mid-2010s, or at least the receiver wasn't. But it's USGI configuration and the platform existed in '88. So let's call it there.

Reactions: jpg
That SPAS 12 in the video clip seemed pretty hard core for a small town police department, but its never-ending tube mag seemed to do the trick. ;-)

As for myself, I'd probably grab my M1 Garand. They had those by 1988, didn't they?
;)

I second the marlin 30-30 of corse Jm stamped and preferably without the safety. I own a jm marlin but unfortunately mines got the lawyer safety.

Marlin 1895 S/S guide gun in 45/70!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blaubeerchen44

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg