Gun choice for Tiny 10 and small night cats

Theses were taken with a 30-06 - using 150g super hammer head (bonded) bullets- also took Oribi - Vaal on same trip with minimal damage to the capes- by taking a larger calibre it gives you the opportunity to take something larger if the opportunity arises- as also took mountain zebra / oryx with same bullets.

IMG_3679.png
IMG_3676.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to be doing more tiny 10 and night cats in the next few years. I've thought about adding a barrel to my Blaser R8 or K95. I have two R8's and one K95 and could always setup one gun for little stuff and have the tracker carry it in case we run into something. My mind keeps going to the 22 Hornet. I've got a 257 Wby barrel but that's too fast for the fragile stuff. I could always shoot solids from my big game rifles and usually have some solids when hunting other things in case something pops up. That's a good practice in general as you never know what the Bush will offer each day.

If you were going to take a dedicated gun/caliber for the little stuff, what would you take?
.22 Hornet double rifle with quick release scope.

Well... I'm going to be vote that everyone hates! 6.5CM with Hornady 129SST superperformace ammo (@2850). Shot some really big animals to steenbok (at 45 yards). The Duiker was taken at 120, about a nickel size hole in both little guys. You would also have plenty of gun for anything you want to take. We did push the limits of the 6.5CM this trip, it handled the tasks small and tall.

Just a different option.
Screenshot_20240720_165941_Gallery.jpg
87257.jpeg

Well... I'm going to be vote that everyone hates! 6.5CM with Hornady 129SST superperformace ammo (@2850). Shot some really big animals to steenbok (at 45 yards). The Duiker was taken at 120, about a nickel size hole in both little guys. You would also have plenty of gun for anything you want to take. We did push the limits of the 6.5CM this trip, it handled the tasks small and tall.

Just a different option.
View attachment 620725View attachment 620726
Very surprised, not regarding the caliber, but the SST. They are considered on the soft side, so one would expect a larger exit hole. Just when we think we understand things....
Great Steenbuck and Common Duiker.

Use what calibre you feel comfortable with- in post no#61, I posted photos of a Klipspringer and a Steenbok taken with a 30-06 recently- I had forgotten I had taken a duiker previously with a 300 win mag, again very little damage , you would not notice on the finished taxidermy

Attachments

• IMG_4790.jpeg
    IMG_4790.jpeg
    549.3 KB · Views: 5
22 Hornet

Glad to know you like the 22 Hornet as this is the caliber I plan using on the smaller cats and critters up to badger and jackal.

FYI my results of range days 1 & 2 with factory ammo.

I am working on load development for my 22 Hornet. Regrettably I didn’t take photo's or do ballistics of my first range day with it shooting factory ammo, 45 grain soft points.

The end result was putting 2 plastic gallon jugs filled with water on the ground one behind the other a few inches and right of the 25 yard target, (NRA Silhouette B-27 with a Shoot-N-See 8 inch target covering the silhouette's center mass), the first shot into the jugs was under a inch of high and left of center mass. Both water jugs exploded as if I used a handgrenade, sending roughly a 1 inch x 3 inch chunk of plastic into the center mass of the 8 inch S-N-S target roughly at a high angle 30 inches left and 40 inches high to the jugs location. Another second smaller chunk of plastic 1/2 +/- wide and 2 +/- inches long was lodged 6 o'clock low center in the black outline of the silhouette. Other much smaller shards of plastic littered the ground as far as -4 feet away from the water jugs location.

Apples and Oranges per se

My second range day I used Hornady 35 grain V-MAX factory loads; when I purchased all three boxes of ammo I thought both brands were the same bullet weight. I shot 5 rounds through my chronograph to get an average MV of 3000 fps.

On paper target at 50 yards, with 50 yard zero from range day 1 using 45 grain bullets, the Hornady 35 grain V-MAX were clustered with lowest bullet hole 1 1/2 inches high and the highest bullet hole 2 1/8 inches high over the "X" ring.

Reloaded: For future testing: Sierra 45 grain soft points and unknown brand 45 grain FMJ HP bullets down loaded, according to the reloading manuals, to MV 2600 to 2700 fps.

Questions:

1. What type and weight bullets do you recommend?

2. At what velocity(ies) do you recommend?

Glad to know you like the 22 Hornet as this is the caliber I plan using on the smaller cats and critters up to badger and jackal.

FYI my results of range days 1 & 2 with factory ammo.

I am working on load development for my 22 Hornet. Regrettably I didn’t take photo's or do ballistics of my first range day with it shooting factory ammo, 45 grain soft points.

The end result was putting 2 plastic gallon jugs filled with water on the ground one behind the other a few inches and right of the 25 yard target, (NRA Silhouette B-27 with a Shoot-N-See 8 inch target covering the silhouette's center mass), the first shot into the jugs was under a inch of high and left of center mass. Both water jugs exploded as if I used a handgrenade, sending roughly a 1 inch x 3 inch chunk of plastic into the center mass of the 8 inch S-N-S target roughly at a high angle 30 inches left and 40 inches high to the jugs location. Another second smaller chunk of plastic 1/2 +/- wide and 2 +/- inches long was lodged 6 o'clock low center in the black outline of the silhouette. Other much smaller shards of plastic littered the ground as far as -4 feet away from the water jugs location.

Apples and Oranges per se

My second range day I used Hornady 35 grain V-MAX factory loads; when I purchased all three boxes of ammo I thought both brands were the same bullet weight. I shot 5 rounds through my chronograph to get an average MV of 3000 fps.

On paper target at 50 yards, with 50 yard zero from range day 1 using 45 grain bullets, the Hornady 35 grain V-MAX were clustered with lowest bullet hole 1 1/2 inches high and the highest bullet hole 2 1/8 inches high over the "X" ring.

Reloaded: For future testing: Sierra 45 grain soft points and unknown brand 45 grain FMJ HP bullets down loaded, according to the reloading manuals, to MV 2600 to 2700 fps.

Questions:

1. What type and weight bullets do you recommend?

2. At what velocity(ies) do you recommend?
I've only started using the Hornet for the last year, so still working through what works. Currently, I'm shooting the Game King in there over 11.2gr.
Surprisingly, it doesn't exit on a Common Duiker or a Steenbok at 70 yards.
Also leaves small exit holes on the Caracal which is great.
Recently had a hunter use Barnes TSX on Blue Duiker and Common Duiker which I was very impressed by the performance.
I like the 45gr. Even at the lower velocities, they get in there.
Very impressed with the round.

After multiple Safaris, using every sort of rifle and shotgun I have settled on the Tikka model 12-70 which is a 222 over 12 gauge. This covers short and long range quickly and easily. These guns are available on the secondary market at a very reasonable price +/- $1000

JES

If I could afford it I would get a Blaser BD 14.
1 set of barrels with 3 cartridge options.....
Mine would be 20ga/22 Hornet/6.5×57R.....

The ultimate Tiny ten rifle....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HuldaCash

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg