Good Gun Deals This Week

I didn't see anything at Holt's sealed bid sale that struck my fancy as a "good gun deal" this go around, but I do have some observations from the main sale from two weeks ago.

1.) There were tremendous values to be found on like-new British boxlock ejector 12 bores. If they had anything "wrong" with them as to desirability of their specifications, they went really really cheap. Examples of "defects" that created bargains: Short 25-26" barrels (perfect for quail and grouse). Mid-century or newer (some guns were like brand new), 12 bore (but 2.75" chambers for modern shells). At any rate, I thought the 12 bore boxlocks all went way under value.

2.) The magazine rifles hit record prices. I found the rifle that got all the attention to be a pretty ho-hum gun. A rigby mauser HV with the deluxe stock (cut down for a woman) with a vintage (fogged and unusable) piece of zeiss glass fetched a tremendous sum of money. Almost all the British bolt guns brought very high prices.

3.) A good value to be had on some best grade large bore falling blocks. Perfect place to pick up a nice DG single shot for a fraction of the construction costs.

4.) No interesting large bore double rifles in this sale or the prior few sales either. Some Borovnik Ferlachs bringing gigantic larger-than-British made prices I could not understand. Not seeing much turnover on British large bores in recent years, so hard to comment on pricing if none are running through the auctions.
that Rigby Mauser HV went stupid high...

I didn't see anything at Holt's sealed bid sale that struck my fancy as a "good gun deal" this go around, but I do have some observations from the main sale from two weeks ago.

1.) There were tremendous values to be found on like-new British boxlock ejector 12 bores. If they had anything "wrong" with them as to desirability of their specifications, they went really really cheap. Examples of "defects" that created bargains: Short 25-26" barrels (perfect for quail and grouse). Mid-century or newer (some guns were like brand new), 12 bore (but 2.75" chambers for modern shells). At any rate, I thought the 12 bore boxlocks all went way under value.

2.) The magazine rifles hit record prices. I found the rifle that got all the attention to be a pretty ho-hum gun. A rigby mauser HV with the deluxe stock (cut down for a woman) with a vintage (fogged and unusable) piece of zeiss glass fetched a tremendous sum of money. Almost all the British bolt guns brought very high prices.

3.) A good value to be had on some best grade large bore falling blocks. Perfect place to pick up a nice DG single shot for a fraction of the construction costs.

4.) No interesting large bore double rifles in this sale or the prior few sales either. Some Borovnik Ferlachs bringing gigantic larger-than-British made prices I could not understand. Not seeing much turnover on British large bores in recent years, so hard to comment on pricing if none are running through the auctions.
It would be nice to find a nice sidelock 12 or 20 with cut barrels or damaged muzzles that needed cut. For 20 yard grouse and woodcock

It would be nice to find a nice sidelock 12 or 20 with cut barrels or damaged muzzles that needed cut. For 20 yard grouse and woodcock

I don’t think you need to look that hard to find one with uncut barrels. Obviously a sidelock ejector is a lot more money than a boxlock, but if it was factory original with 25-26” barrels, they go for a serious deficit versus a 28-30” gun. A 20 bore will go for 3-4x more money than a 12 bore, so you’re going to get less gun for the money.

To give an example, a friend was able to get a near new, barely used, high grade boxlock ejector 12 bore with nearly perfect case colors, 25-26” barrels, case and accessories, post-war, mid-tier maker, for around 1000 GBP. If that gun were 30” barrels it would have been double the price. Had it been pre-war it would have been double the price. Had it been 20 bore it would have been 3x the price. Had it been a pre-war, near mint, 30” barreled, 20 bore, from same maker it would have been a 5000 pound gun.

For fun and quality, the Brit’s are certainly giving away 12 bores awfully cheap this season.

@rookhawk (first effort to tag someone). :-). I was outbid on the Terry Smith .470 that needed a little finishing by 500 pounds or so. It was different, gauche, and offended purists. For all of these reasons—I loved it! Haaaa. Outbid on the .470 single, but that was by over 1000 pounds.

Last edited:

Attachments

@rookhawk (first effort to tag someone). :-). I was outbid on the Terry Smith .470 that needed a little finishing by 500 pounds or so. It was different, gauche, and offended purists. For all of these reasons—I loved it! Haaaa. Outbid on the .470 single, but that was by over 1000 pounds.

I was quite enamoured by his .22 double rifle in the sale. But definitely not the wisest or practical kind of rifle for sure.

The .318WR bolt action was my favourite though. But I refrained from bidding due to AH competition ;)

I was quite enamoured by his .22 double rifle in the sale. But definitely not the wisest or practical kind of rifle for sure.

The .318WR bolt action was my favourite though. But I refrained from bidding due to AH competition ;)
Yeah, I did not bid on that one, but it was super nice and from memory it was finished. The .470 could have been a money pit. . . but could have been a fun money pit. :-)

Never seen a Parker hale in this caliber I’m impressed
Way to much money in my book would be a few hundred quid in the uk I think
I think you are correct on pricing in the UK. As stated, it is a rebarrel, and they didn’t care to put irons on it when they did the work.

IMG_5453.jpeg

Bergara Highlander 6.5 Creedmor

Discontinued model. Price once you add it to your cart is $1,052.00. There isn’t anything that touches this rifle for the money. It has a great barrel, great action, trigger tech trigger, fiber glass stock, and is suppressor ready.

Newer models are going to lighter carbon fiber stocks.

I already have one in 6.5 prc. I picked one of these up just to add another suppressor ready rifle for the wife and kids. I couldn’t resist for the price.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-22 at 6.47.27 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-22 at 6.47.27 AM.png
    807.7 KB · Views: 15
Belgian made Browning .458 Win Mag barreled action. Great starter for a project. I’m sure a reasonably skilled ‘smith could bore it out to .458 Lott pretty easily.

Not the greatest deal given it’s just a barreled action, from a saltwood gun showing rust & pitting on the bottom half.

Complete rifles (non saltwood) in 95% condition can be had for $1000-1200.

Good Deals on gun broker (and other auction sites) will always have bids on them within 24 hours. If it’s a Safari caliber/gun you can almost guarantee one or more members of AH have bid or are watching it to bid. By posting gunbroker or other auctions, all you do is reduce the potential “good deal”, as you’ve likely increased competition from viewers and members who aren’t frequenting the auction sites every day or two. Essentially you’re advertising for the seller for free

I see.
Please provide a list of approved sources for “good gun deals this week” that do not violate your artificial standards.

I always reference BB and actual recent realized sales of that item to make sure it’s a good deal before posting. Since Covid those posts are few and far between. Presently most of the good deals aren’t on fixed price items (except in LGS). The good deals typically come from the auctions where an item slips through the cracks or is marked wrong (like an early 60’s M70 that was advertised as a Post64 New Haven made gun and sold for less than $600).

I’m not telling you not to post auctions, just letting you know that posting them on forums takes what could be a good gun deal for someone, and likely adds a lot more eyes to it. I’ve watched it happen on several GunBroker auctions posted here recently, and seen where a GB bidder name matched an AH name multiple times. There have been ample posts about a “new gun” where others have commented about seeing it, watching it, or bidding on it. I guarantee if I posted the M70 I referenced above about being titled wrong it would have went for a lot more than it did and several members/lurkers would’ve bid and the person who bought it who was hunting for a Pre64 wouldn’t have got the good deal they did.

I tend to post good gun deals if there is a buy-it-now on GB just as there always is on GI. I can’t really define to the group if its a “Good deal” when its an auction with lots of time remaining. $10,000 guns might be at a high bid of $200 an hour from auction close. Usually, Murphy’s law says those will fetch a price of $10,001 in the end.

So we should share good deals, and even auctions, just not ones that members of the forum might want because someone might already want them?
Complete guns (with a stock) that don’t have rust and pitting have recently sold for a few hundred dollars more than the one you posted. A stock is going to cost you at least the difference between that barreled action and the complete rifle, but then you’ve still got a gun with rust and pitting that you’re going to pay a smith to rechamber to 458 Lott and have to keep fighting the rust/pitting on the bottom.

You do you and keep posting what you think are good deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gustloff

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!