Good Gun Deals This Week

Attachments

Mitchell Supply in Great Falls MT has a CZ in 375 H&H. They say it's new and the break is factory. The stock has some scratches but for the price you can't beat it if you are in the market.

This a nice Rigby rifle in .416 Rem I have for sale.

Its a fine rifle and would rather go to an AH member-open to offers for AH members only.
Thanks

I agree with PHILIP MASSARO who wrote the article from the lower link above. Massaro, if anyone doesn't know, edits Gun Digest
https://gundigest.com/author/philip-massaro
He also writes many factful articles about firearms and ballistics.

The above article states,
"So, with the ballistics being equal and the pressure differences posing no problem
(Note: due to modern temperature stable powders)

Magazine capacity is my first reason. The Rigby case measures 0.5949″ at its widest, while the Remington (and all the H&H family) measures .0.532″ at the belt; that difference allows for greater magazine capacity for the slimmer cartridge. When it comes to dangerous game, more is better.

Length is also an issue. The Rigby cartridge requires a longer (read heavier) action than the Remington does, which adds weight and expense. There are fewer of these actions made, and therefore they are less-readily available. The .416 Remington rifles can be made more affordably.

Thirdly, there is the cost of ammunition. Rigby ammunition is expensive, roughly 30 percent more than .416 Remington ammo. When you take into consideration the cost of a dangerous game safari, it’s a minimal investment, but the Remington represents a better value for identical ballistics.

I’ve also found the recoil of the Rigby cartridge to exceed that of the Remington cartridge.
...I give the edge to the .416 Remington"

1722684246705.png

My table above shows for a 10.5 lb. rifle, the 416 Rigby develops 16% more recoil.

For anyone in the market for a Rigby-made rifle, this would be a rare Ribgy being chambered in 416 Remington. It will also be more functional with less recoil and more readily available cartridges.

1722684571228.png

I have no connection to this rifle, its sale, or anything else.
I have conversed with AH member @flyfishdoc a few times and he is good to go.

I agree with PHILIP MASSARO who wrote the article from the lower link above. Massaro, if anyone doesn't know, edits Gun Digest
https://gundigest.com/author/philip-massaro
He also writes many factful articles about firearms and ballistics.

The above article states,
"So, with the ballistics being equal and the pressure differences posing no problem
(Note: due to modern temperature stable powders)

Magazine capacity is my first reason. The Rigby case measures 0.5949″ at its widest, while the Remington (and all the H&H family) measures .0.532″ at the belt; that difference allows for greater magazine capacity for the slimmer cartridge. When it comes to dangerous game, more is better.

Length is also an issue. The Rigby cartridge requires a longer (read heavier) action than the Remington does, which adds weight and expense. There are fewer of these actions made, and therefore they are less-readily available. The .416 Remington rifles can be made more affordably.

Thirdly, there is the cost of ammunition. Rigby ammunition is expensive, roughly 30 percent more than .416 Remington ammo. When you take into consideration the cost of a dangerous game safari, it’s a minimal investment, but the Remington represents a better value for identical ballistics.

I’ve also found the recoil of the Rigby cartridge to exceed that of the Remington cartridge.
...I give the edge to the .416 Remington"

View attachment 623726

My table above shows for a 10.5 lb. rifle, the 416 Rigby develops 16% more recoil.

For anyone in the market for a Rigby-made rifle, this would be a rare Ribgy being chambered in 416 Remington. It will also be more functional with less recoil and more readily available cartridges.

View attachment 623727

I have no connection to this rifle, its sale, or anything else.
I have conversed with AH member @flyfishdoc a few times and he is good to go.
A rigby rifle in 416 remington, must be the rarest of rigby's !

I don’t believe there’s a nickles worth of difference between the Rigby, Remington or Ruger 416s. All 3 send a 400 gr bullet at 2,400 fps. Any other difference between them are just difference’s….not plus or minus really.

The Remington got a bad rap initially because it operates at higher pressure and was at first chambered in the push feed Remington 700. When things got hot, the cases could get stuck because the extractor on a 700 wasn’t up to the job. Later, when CRF actions were chambered for the Remington round, they never had this issue.

That’s my opinion, but I’m sure the fellows at Rigby have a strong preference for their namesake cartridge!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
riki003

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available