Good Gun Deals This Week

I got out of the USMC 1/2/70 and went to visit family & friends in rural Iowa and Minnesota. while there the temp dropped to -38 F and hung around -20F during the day which was overcast for a week. then everything cleared and it was bright sunny & calm. As I sat at the counter of a cafe I looked out the window and across the street was a service station. the temp had warmed up to about 0 F- the gas station attendant was pumping gas and he was dressed in shirt sleeves- no coat- he would have been too hot. So much for people who need climate control. :<)

The last winter we were in Fairbanks it did not warm up to -40’ (F or C take your pick!) for four weeks. It hit -60’ three times in that time period. I’m Canadian and I like winter as much as the next guy, but that’s just stupid cold!

I don't understand why anybody lives in Fairbanks. Hot in the summer, cold in the winter, it's a friggin city with damn few of the benefitsand all the disadvantages thereof.

Even when @Red Leg tries to haze me, he understated his position. 4 months of the year? How about 7 months?

Weather up here is amazing now, pastoral landscapes, verdant pastures, lush native plants line the forest floor. Nonetheless, I moved in on November 12th and the snow dissipated by early May. Literally, I was here 7 months and only saw the color white.

If the garage wasn’t climate controlled (heterosexual three season room) it would be off limits 11 months of the year, 8 due to cold and 3 due to heat!

@Red Leg come up for a visit, but by all means do it in a month other than Jan-Apr.
Exactly. When I retired from the Army I had serious offers from ATK in Minneapolis and Northrop Grumman in Northern Va. We were looking at houses in the Minneapolis area the first week in June and it started to snow! Heated garages and extravagant basements were key selling points of all the homes. :oops: Took us a couple to understand why. We jumped at the Northrop offer.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 7.23.47 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 7.23.47 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 7.23.48 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 7.23.48 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 7.23.50 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 7.23.50 AM.png
    549.4 KB · Views: 62
There is a reason for that…I owned this same gun brand new…it is way too light and will kick the sh$& out of you

Indeed, with double rifles, you usually get less than what you paid for. There is no cutting corners about it, quality double rifles that people endorse start at the ~$15k used pricepoint with very few (lucky) exceptions.

As a huge fan of double rifles, my advice to most readers that have that $8000-$12,000 budget is this: don‘t do it. Buy an amazing magazine rifle for that budget. While a wonderful budget for a safari rifle, it isn’t a good budget for a quality double rifle.

Indeed, with double rifles, you usually get less than what you paid for. There is no cutting corners about it, quality double rifles that people endorse start at the ~$15k used pricepoint with very few (lucky) exceptions.

As a huge fan of double rifles, my advice to most readers that have that $8000-$12,000 budget is this: don‘t do it. Buy an amazing magazine rifle for that budget. While a wonderful budget for a safari rifle, it isn’t a good budget for a quality double rifle.
Great advice; thank you Mate!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 8.34.21 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 8.34.21 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 8.34.23 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 8.34.23 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 8.34.24 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 8.34.24 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
?????……….
I know about as much about nuclear warheads as I do this rifle. I know nothing about nuclear warheads. Following along to see what the think tank says. Cool rifle. Interested to see what value in unrestored condition would have been as well as perceived value with it being restored.

I know about as much about nuclear warheads as I do this rifle. I know nothing about nuclear warheads. Following along to see what the think tank says. Cool rifle. Interested to see what value in unrestored condition would have been as well as perceived value with it being restored.
I’m looking forward to learning about it as well. It SEEMS reasonably priced. Missing the flip up night sight. I’d be curious to know how much it weighs…

It was very crudely restored, and it was restocked. With those two things going on, its lost most of its value. I'm sure it will sell for that price to someone, but its throwing money away on something that has no originality nor collectibility remaining while at the same time not being an as-new best quality restoration to have the "new car" experience.

.458. I think they copied and pasted from Wikipedia or something..

I'm not a 450 expert, my knowledge starts and ends in that it was banned around 1900 to prevent uprising in India and the Sudan and as a consequence, Joseph Lang invented the 470NE to circumvent the British ban on 45 cal.

What I find odd, and perhaps an expert can correct me, is that the ad states its a 450 Nitro Express 3-1/2" in one section, and a 450 No. 2 elsewhere. Aren't those completely different calibers?

I'm not a 450 expert, my knowledge starts and ends in that it was banned around 1900 to prevent uprising in India and the Sudan and as a consequence, Joseph Lang invented the 470NE to circumvent the British ban on 45 cal.

What I find odd, and perhaps an expert can correct me, is that the ad states its a 450 Nitro Express 3-1/2" in one section, and a 450 No. 2 elsewhere. Aren't those completely different calibers?
Yea I don’t know why they did that. Looks like they did copy and paste a lot. As far as I know it is the 450 Nitro Express #2 3 1/2”. It could be referred to as the 450 ne no 2. Should always include the #2 designation. Similar to saying 450 ne or 450 ne 3 1/4”. They are one and the same. The ban happened in 1907

Last edited:
Yea I don’t know why they did that. Looks like they did copy and paste a lot. As far as I know it is the 450 Nitro Express #2 3 1/2”. It could be referred to as the former or just the 450 ne no 2. Similar to saying 450 ne or 450 ne 3 1/4”. They are one and the same. The ban happened in 1907

Not sure they're the same, the number 2 is a quarter inch longer along with many other differences:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelphiaHun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?