Good Gun Deals This Week

Attachments

Attachments

It's multiple things @Red Leg . I completely concede that for a non-dangerous game double rifle, ejectors-only (rimless) is not a big deal. You don't die if your ejector jams.

The bigger issue with 375HH is that it is a bolt action cartridge by design. That means that its speed, powder type, and grain weight of the bullets have dynamically changed significantly since 1911. The 375 Flanged has not, since its a double rifle cartridge that had to remain static, using the ICI/Kynoch 1926 specifications for service pressure, powder (cordite), and grain weight (270 and 300gr). This gives to ease of regulation compared to 375HH where any vendor can and does make any velocity, using any powder, with grain weights of 235, 250, 270, 300, and 350gr bullets.

Postscript specific to this point: "For the same period of time in Austria and Germany gunmakers have been building .375 chambered rifles of absolute reliability." I don't agree. A good friend and member bought a lightly used best Heym 375HH and 470NE two barrel set recently at auction. Lovely gun, easily $75000-$80,000 replacement cost. The 375HH barrels were pretty screwed up. It took a couple of hours of prudent gunsmithing advice via phone call to get kroil into the ejector pins as they were seized, to irrigate out all the hardened grease in the ejector spurs, and a sturdy push on the end of a wood table to re-cock the ejector dogs in the forend. Will it be a fine rifle in 375HH for eland or a leopard out of a blind? Sure it will. Do they have the reliability and ease of service of his 470NE barrels that worked, even caked with hardened grease? Not even close. Rimless ejector spurs and pins are sensitive, delicate machinery. Reloaded belted magnum cartridges that expand on the sidewalls with resizing adds to the risk factors over time.
My experience with .375's built by quality Continental gunmakers is that they work beautifully in a double. You stated that the barrels were "pretty were screwed up." But you only described the need to degrease the ejector tabs? I will certainly agree that proper maintenance of a firearm is really a good idea.

My experience has also been that a .375 double has been no more difficult to regulate than any other. Indeed because of the wide range of possible components it is very easy to develop a combination that works spectacularly in a specific rifle. As I have note here numerous times my S2 with 375 barrels in place has both 300 gr A Frame and 300 gr TSX loads that are MOA out of each barrel and sub 2-2.5" four shot groups at 100 yards. It is a very improper double indeed. I bet that Heym with the right loads and a useful sighting system would do exactly the same thing time after time after time. A scoped Borovnik that I owned for several years would demonstrate the same accuracy and reliability.

I'll go reread what I wrote, but don't believe that I ever said a .375 was a .470. What a properly set up .375 double can do is anything a .375 bolt action can do with a little bit faster second shot. That second shot also makes it perhaps marginally better if a .375 is used on a follow up.

Many of us would like to use a double in Africa. Most traditional double calibers are a pretty marginal one rifle choice for hunting that continent. Very few of us are going to hunt enough elephant to actually justify the expense of a quality .470, 500, or frankly even a .450. But with a properly set up double in .375, a hunter can take a double to Africa and hunt anything he would with a bolt action .375. In short, He can use and enjoy it a lot. It would absolutely be the double I would recommend for anyone without limitless disposable income and perhaps a couple of buffalo or elephant in his future along with lots of plains game. The same rifle will also work brilliantly on North American bear.

As I have note here numerous times my S2 with 375 barrels in place has both 300 gr A Frame and 300 gr TSX loads that are MOA out of each barrel and sub 2-2.5" four shot groups at 100 yards. It is a very improper double indeed. I bet that Heym with the right loads and a useful sighting system would do exactly the same thing time after time after time.

I can fully confirm this point on my Heym in 375H&H:
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/look-what-ah-made-me-buy.65185/post-1133290

If I do my part, a Right-Left-Right-Left will see each barrel with 1MOA accuracy and between the two barrels about 2-2.5MOA at 100 meters.

But I also would agree with @rookhawk on the value retention proposition where 1 single v double trigger , 2 O&U v SxS and 3 rimmed v rimless cartridge , will impact resale value. Therefore if one has a choice, a rimmed cartridge should be preferred. (But perhaps just with the exception of the 375H&H… just because you’ll find this ammo much easier than it’s rimmed sister)

Attachments

I can fully confirm this point on my Heym in 375H&H:
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/look-what-ah-made-me-buy.65185/post-1133290

If I do my part, a Right-Left-Right-Left will see each barrel with 1MOA accuracy and between the two barrels about 2-2.5MOA at 100 meters.

But I also would agree with @rookhawk on the value retention proposition where 1 single v double trigger , 2 O&U v SxS and 3 rimmed v rimless cartridge , will impact resale value. Therefore if one has a choice, a rimmed cartridge should be preferred. (But perhaps just with the exception of the 375H&H… just because you’ll find this ammo much easier than it’s rimmed sister)
I have never looked at the guns I own from a resale perspective. If I am worried about return on investment, I go to the Fidelity site not this one. For me, guns should be appraised based on their utility. We can decorate them with better wood or engraving, but it should be utility that establishes the baseline of "value" to the owner.

For the average client hunting Africa, I can't imagine a rifle with less utility and hence value to them as a hunting firearm than a double that has a caliber beginning with a four. He may well shoot it at game half a dozen times in a lifetime? And half or more of those are anchoring shots at an already down buffalo? I am not sure how much nostalgia one can generate from such little use.

On the other hand, should he have made the decision to buy a quality .375, he has a double rifle that he can use every single day on whatever game he encounters at whatever practical range whether he is in the Limpopo, the Caprivi, or Cameroon. To me, that is a valuable firearm.

If someone is looking for a Left handed Ruger M77 Hawkeye African in .375 Ruger, this one seems in good shape. Buyer's premium is 15% which is not too bad.

https://hibid.com/lot/179985718/ruger-m77-hawkeye

Ive gotten a lot of really great deals off of Hibid auctions that are local to the DFW area.. but have to admit Ive never seen a firearm go for anything better than an "ok" price by the time the auctions are over.. for whatever reason around here people go nuts whenever they see any gun available locally.. Ive actually seen used, non collector items like glock pistols, etc. go for more than what you could walk into any LGS and pick one up any day of the week..

I did pick up a $300 deer feeder for $70 recently though.. got some really nice camping gear for well less than 50% of retail, etc..

I check them out pretty regularly..

I get weird about proverbial resale. They are tools to enjoy, but really surprised to see how much some things have went up.
Remington 22. & Ruger 30-06, I was going to ask $400 for both? .. Never/Hardly used. Mint
Swift 3x9.

22.jpg

22 2.jpg

ruger 30-06.jpg

I'll send you a check tomorrow for $400 if you'd take that. Screaming good deal.
Glad to know @ least! never know what tomorrow will bring.
"We're always looking for what's coming .. but no one ever sees that"

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 7.07.17 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 7.07.17 AM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 7.07.18 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 7.07.18 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 7.07.20 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 7.07.20 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 46
I get weird about proverbial resale. They are tools to enjoy, but really surprised to see how much some things have went up.
Remington 22. & Ruger 30-06, I was going to ask $400 for both? .. Never/Hardly used. Mint
Swift 3x9.

View attachment 575584

View attachment 575585
View attachment 575586
I always wanted a nice SpeedMaster ever since I shot a buddies. I you want to sell it, please let me know. I'll give you what 'it's worth". May have some things you might want for trade as well. Thanks

Now, idk. You be the judge, however, a member here has some nice 88's on GI.

That thing already sold? idk.

I am Not highly motivated @ the moment, however. Looking for an 88B 500?
Preferably, last Decade or so, 26's.
Many Thanks!!!

This will be gone fast...

Attachments

Not exactly a gun, but our friends over at @RAVEN ROCKS PRECISION are running a good sale on Norma Oryx bullets, with several around 50% off.

I just purchased 10 boxes of Norma .308 ammo loaded with Swift Aframes from Raven Rocks Precision. Super cheap price, ammo arrived quicker than a Jimmy John's delivery!! Merry Christmas to me!!

I just purchased 10 boxes of Norma .308 ammo loaded with Swift Aframes from Raven Rocks Precision. Super cheap price, ammo arrived quicker than a Jimmy John's delivery!! Merry Christmas to me!!
I took advantage of that same deal as well, and couldn't be happier. Merry Christmas indeed!

I'm chasing this one, hopefully not bidding against anybody on here as this is a little different from the usual big bores and double guns.

Attachments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sara29R474

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]