Going to Zimbabwe

To answer your question is this a booked leopard hunt or not the answer to that is no. A leopard hunt is not on the list for this hunt although I have often thought of hunting for one. The US Rep for the safari operator that I will be using informed me that the area that I will be hunting has leopard, cull, tusk-less elephant and sable available this year. He said there are lots of cats and in this area they're commonly seen in daylight. This was something for me to keep in mind when when planning my hunt. A by chance leopard would be considerably less cost than a dedicated leopard hunt. Thus my comment that "I might hunt a leopard" I want to be prepared if I decide to act on a chance opportunity.
Alarm bells go off for me when I hear something like this. I believe this agent is blowing smoke. All operators that I know of have very limited leopard quota and are booked up at least two years ahead. On all DG hunts you must book the desired Dangerous 7 species ahead of time and rarely can you add on one of the big animals when you get there. If you want a leopard you must put in the work starting by paying your PH for pre baiting. Then when you arrive your hunt is dedicated to the cat until You get him or the sun sets on your last day.
I just don’t want you to get your hopes up. You are not going to just shoot a leopard driving around in the truck. This is what it sounds like the US rep is indicating.
look forward to your hunt report!
Philip

So tell us who your PH/Outfitter is.
Sir, the reason that I'm not revealing the name of the P/H, outfitter at this time is because I'm detecting some slight negativity here. I do not have all of my facts as of yet and I do not want to be responsible for tainting a good outfitters name. It is their livelihood. All I was asking for in my post were ammunition and bullet grain weights. This is not my first Rodeo to Africa on safari, it will be my 4th. I will have this hunt in order before I leave.

Sir, the reason that I'm not revealing the name of the P/H, outfitter at this time is because I'm detecting some slight negativity here. I do not have all of my facts as of yet and I do not want to be responsible for tainting a good outfitters name. It is their livelihood. All I was asking for in my post were ammunition and bullet grain weights. This is not my first Rodeo to Africa on safari, it will be my 4th. I will have this hunt in order before I leave.

@R W Mack that’s fair and honorable that you err on the side of caution dragging things out here that may not be at all the nature of the offer or the hunt.

What I will tell you about Zim leopard hunting is that there is no such thing as ”stumbling into a leopard” anymore. The leopard could come into your blind, lick your face, pose for photos with you while playing a ukulele and no PH is going to let you shoot it. The liability to a PH and operator for killing a leopard that is the wrong sex or the wrong male age is tremendous. Tens of thousands of dollars in penalties, plus loss of future leopard quota, plus potentially losing their license, plus a tribunal with ZPHGA. A good PH that has a 180lb, 5 year old male coming to bait every day at 4:51pm, with camera photos of its balls every day on camera, will still glass that cat for 20 minutes in person with you holding the scope on the cat before he is 100% sure its legal And the same cat before he says “shoot it”. This is not the same level of care that was required just 5 years ago in Zim but the stakes are very, very high now.

On all DG hunts you must book the desired Dangerous 7 species ahead of time and rarely can you add on one of the big animals when you get there.
I agree with point you are trying to make to pre plan, but this isn’t accurate from my experience with late season hunts. I’ve been offered hippo/croc opportunities during hunt on every hunt they’ve been present in the area. Buffalo/elephant have still still on quota in area or adjacent areas. I was actually offered a problem lion hunt in Namibia but unfortunately had to turn it down (they found a hunter on short notice who was successful). I have been offered leopard too, but only in what I’d consider marginal areas, which was why they were still on quota. These things do happen.

I agree with point you are trying to make to pre plan, but this isn’t accurate from my experience with late season hunts. I’ve been offered hippo/croc opportunities during hunt on every hunt they’ve been present in the area. Buffalo/elephant have still still on quota in area or adjacent areas. I was actually offered a problem lion hunt in Namibia but unfortunately had to turn it down (they found a hunter on short notice who was successful). I have been offered leopard too, but only in what I’d consider marginal areas, which was why they were still on quota. These things do happen.

But @375Fox you must remember a few differences today:

1.) There isn’t “left over“ quota in February, this is brand new quota for the whole of 2022. Leftover quota exists at Halloween if at all.

2.) The animal must not only be on quota, it has to be on your hunting permit. The PH isn’t likely to put every living creature on your hunting permit Up at the Parks office On speculation you might shoot one of the things.

3.) IF you do put something on your permit at parks and start your hunt, the Parks office will demand a Ranger come with you at $70 a day before you can begin your hunts. This is required for elephant and leopard. You aren’t going to ride around with a park ranger while contemplating your plains game hunt. You can’t kill the leopard that walks by if you dont have that ranger and dont have the leopard on your permit already…so seeing a shootable leopard isn’t a sufficient condition to kill a leopard.

But @375Fox you must remember a few differences today:

1.) There isn’t “left over“ quota in February, this is brand new quota for the whole of 2022. Leftover quota exists at Halloween if at all.

2.) The animal must not only be on quota, it has to be on your hunting permit. The PH isn’t likely to put every living creature on your hunting permit Up at the Parks office On speculation you might shoot one of the things.

3.) IF you do put something on your permit at parks and start your hunt, the Parks office will demand a Ranger come with you at $70 a day before you can begin your hunts. This is required for elephant and leopard. You aren’t going to ride around with a park ranger while contemplating your plains game hunt. You can’t kill the leopard that walks by if you dont have that ranger and dont have the leopard on your permit already…so seeing a shootable leopard isn’t a sufficient condition to kill a leopard.
You’re not wrong on anything you said. My point is things do happen occasionally especially at end of season, but this needs to come directly from outfitter/PH. The details can all be worked out. You’ll be required to pay for a parks ranger on a roan hunt in Zimbabwe also, the one exception on plains game.

As you have probably already noticed there are several members who have concerns of what you have been told. AH and its members is one of the best resources for advice of all kinds.
One being PH's/Outfitter/ Booking Agents. There are constant requests for advice on Outfitter and their areas. Very rarely do you see a post about a bad hunt, but it can happen. Obviously several members here picked up on the info you have been given and are concerned on the integrity of your PH or agent. The fact that you are so reluctant to post any names would lead me to believe you may already know there has been issues with your Agent/Outfitter. But it is your nickel, and you can spend it as you wish. Hope you have a good trip and a successful hunt!

As you have probably already noticed there are several members who have concerns of what you have been told. AH and its members is one of the best resources for advice of all kinds.
One being PH's/Outfitter/ Booking Agents. There are constant requests for advice on Outfitter and their areas. Very rarely do you see a post about a bad hunt, but it can happen. Obviously several members here picked up on the info you have been given and are concerned on the integrity of your PH or agent. The fact that you are so reluctant to post any names would lead me to believe you may already know there has been issues with your Agent/Outfitter. But it is your nickel, and you can spend it as you wish. Hope you have a good trip and a successful hunt!
You assume an awful lot. I told you the reason I wasn't divulging that information. I do not appreciate to be assumed a liar. If you are happy with your assumption than so be it.

From what I can see here there's an enormous amount of uneducated BS being spread. One genius spouting about prebaiting which is completely illegal on dedicated safari areas other piping in with no idea of Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Authority or Zimbabwe Forestry regulations. Anyone ask if this person is hunting on a Parks lease, Forestry ground, campfire area or private farm? NO just a lot of ignorance being displayed. In today's Zimbabwe most reputable companies have a game scout on all hunts including PG, companies with leases on dedicated safari areas own prepaid quota to use and sell as they see fit and there are endless other options for legal leopard hunts. Any hunter with a valid TR2 can take anything permit able in Zim as long as there is quota or a removal permit as would be the case on a private cattle farm. ALL Of these would be fully exportable. Because you lack even the most basic knowledge of Zimbabwe permitting and their system doesn't mean that someone who does is somehow doing something shady. There's plenty of cats available in Zim this year and many in Forestry's general quota. I seldom visit these forums because of attack posts like these, my advice is if you don't know what you are talking about don't publicly display your ignorance.

... Anyone ask if this person is hunting on a Parks lease, Forestry ground, campfire area or private farm? NO just a lot of ignorance being displayed. ...
Actually, I mentioned that on post #31 and stated that unless at a private area the leopard needs to be on the permit. And it does need to be on the TR2 for Parks' Safari areas. We had to add hippo and croc if I wanted to take advantage of a cancellation last year.

Are you the agent, seeing that you joined today to comment on this thread?

Last edited:
I'm no one's agent I'm Mike Blignauts partner and Martin Pieters USA office. This hunt was donated to KCSCI at Amundundamela a forestry area located at the south east corner of Hwange National Park. They have 2 cats on open quota. There's tons of plains game in the area and baiting is difficult so these permits are seldom used or filled. Since it's a forestry parks boundary area we always have a game scout. The last dedicated leopard hunt we did here was some time ago but yielded the current crossbow world record. I have personally seen leopard in the day including an enormous male standing in the 2 track my last visit so a "by chance" opportunity is possible given the high numbers of cats living in the area. My point is why do so many of you always jump straight to the bad side of this business? Nothing to do just be negative armchair quarterbacks?

I'm no one's agent I'm Mike Blignauts partner and Martin Pieters USA office....My point is why do so many of you always jump straight to the bad side of this business? Nothing to do just be negative armchair quarterbacks?

...Myself, and others have hunted leopard among other DG (elephant, lion etc.) in Zimbabwe and while you might have seen an "enormous male" from a truck a PH and ranger/game scout still have to give you the go ahead to shoot. A quick snap shot will not be possible unless the PH wishes to live on the edge.

So, an agent or an outfitter saying one could have a snapshot at one from a distance seems dodgy. Considering there are a lot of agents/outfitters around that exaggerate opportunities, if not outright dishonest, it makes sense to be cautious. Heck, there are at least a couple of those that advertise on this site that I know of.

My PH needed these pictures among others to determine it was shootable to set-up the blind last year. Got it the following morning.

1645057009567.jpeg

1645057029241.jpeg

Last edited:
In my experience it's more than enough and if you put the bullet in the right place it'll be dead in seconds.

….an enormous male standing in the 2 track my last visit so a "by chance" opportunity is possible given the high numbers of cats living in the area. My point is why do so many of you always jump straight to the bad side of this business? Nothing to do just be negative armchair quarterbacks?

I don’t think anyone was being negative, just frank and realistic. You, on the other hand, appear quite aggressive and condescending and your post had several errors of fact.

specifically, there is no such thing as a daytime opportunity on a cat in the two track as a “by chance” hunting opportunity. If you’ve ever told someone that is the case you should issue a retraction. You need to establish the leopard is male and of sufficient age to shoot. Those decisions by a PH have grave consequences financially and for their license so they take many, many minutes to figure that out and authorize a shot.

Secondly, you are confusing a game scout from a parks ranger. You must have a parks ranger brought with you when hunting leopard. That isn’t usually a person sitting on the truck unless you have an animal on quota and have the intention to hunt leopard. (There is a daily fee for their presence) Unless the client will be paying the approximately $1400 plus rations to have a ranger around for the full hunt, on the truck, ready to go?

No one said anything about taking a snap shot, again going straight to the most ignorant actions possible, the leopard I'm speaking of stood looking at us for some time then casually walked off through the mopanies taking no notice of us at all. Since I've lived, hunted and worked in Africa over 3 years of my life including driving from Windhoek to Vic Falls over 50 times I might possibly know what I'm doing. I've killed many cats in the day, in front of dogs, over bait in several countries why would anyone automatically think that the most ignorant, illegal activities are in play as a first assumption? Like my grandfather always said it's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought to be a fool than to open it and let everyone know you're a fool.

I don’t think anyone was being negative, just frank and realistic. You, on the other hand, appear quite aggressive and condescending and your post had several errors of fact.

specifically, there is no such thing as a daytime opportunity on a cat in the two track as a “by chance” hunting opportunity. If you’ve ever told someone that is the case you should issue a retraction. You need to establish the leopard is male and of sufficient age to shoot. Those decisions by a PH have grave consequences financially and for their license so they take many, many minutes to figure that out and authorize a shot.

Secondly, you are confusing a game scout from a parks ranger. You must have a parks ranger brought with you when hunting leopard. That isn’t usually a person sitting on the truck unless you have an animal on quota and have the intention to hunt leopard. (There is a daily fee for their presence) Unless the client will be paying the approximately $1400 plus rations to have a ranger around for the full hunt, on the truck, ready to go?
I'm not making any mistakes I know the laws and a parks employee is NOT REQUIRED 9n forestry seems you know nothing

I'm not making any mistakes I know the laws and a parks employee is NOT REQUIRED 9n forestry seems you know nothing
Can you quote me the law please? Last year I paid for a parks ranger and a game scout as I was traversing both communal and parks areas. This year I am paying for a parks ranger again for the full 14 days and of course if I don't have to I won't.

So, your specific help with the law where I can forward the info to CMS and not pay the ranger fee would be appreciated.

And the daily fee is 50 bucks a day not 1400 seems someone got in your pocket
I am paying $50, but some outfitters from Zim have been advertising $80 here (hence why some of us are skeptical about various claims).

50 bucks I have a recent invoice from forestry if you'd like to see it pm me. I'm not being evasive or combative I've had over 500 hunters 8n Zimbabwe since I started and I'm paying forestry directly I know and obey all laws and the reason I don't post here or on AR much anymore is all the negativity and widespread expressions of ignorance displayed by people that have spent a few weeks being held by the hand and led around hunting by a PH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonetteWin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with