Going to Zimbabwe

First talk to your PH, make sure you have a leopard hunt booked due to limited quotas. Your 300 will be fine but use a softer bullets than the barnes for cats.

7x57 is a smart and classic choice for plains game. But the 06 is a good all arounder for Leopard, Plains game and etc. Or so I have read. Some Countries have a minimum for leopard but a 375 h and h seems overkill for a 150 lb animal. But I have never had a leopard snarling at me either.

Hello all,

I will be going to Zimbabwe later this year and I "might" go for a Leopard. The rifle caliber that I would use is a .300 Win Mag. I will admit that the reason I'm considering this round is because my wife bought this rifle for me as a Christmas present and is unhappy that I do not hunt with it much. :Stop: ( Although I will be taking it on a elk hunt in Wyoming ) Unless I'm mistaken this caliber is legal on Leopard in Zimbabwe. I know that this cat is thin skinned and a big male will weigh around 200 pounds so it should be plenty of gun. please give me your opinion on this. I'm really partial to Barnes ammunition and have taken Cape Buffalo and many types of plains game with it. Now, I have read that when using a 300 Win Mag on leopard that 150 or 165 Gr. bullets should be used because of the cat not really being that big and having a thin hide. I was thinking 180 Gr. What are your thought's on using Barnes in say 165 Gr. on Leopard? What other brands and bullets should I look at?

Thank you all, Robert
Well that’s what I used on mine and the cat was dead before it hit the ground.

I’m dreaming of a Leopard hunt. Hope to go in a couple of years. I believe I’ll use my Winchester M70 in 30-06. The bullet will be a Sierra Pro Hunter round nose 180 grain. They’re very accurate out of my rifle. I think Leopard is one of the animals in Africa, and the only DG animal, for which a tough premium bullet is not optimal. A traditional cup and core bullet that opens up quickly and does a lot of damage seems just the ticket. Oh, and that bullet will be traveling at a modest velocity.

Firstly I am concerned that you say “you might hunt a leopard”. Quotas are tight and the cost is very high. Do you have a leopard hunt booked or not? Please don’t take this wrong I just don’t want you to be hoping for something that won’t happen.
I will go after another leopard next year with a .300 Win mag. I am already putting back some ammo for that trip. Although I am a huge Barnes fan and have hunted at least 5 different calibers with TSX the leopard needs a more easily expanding bullet. I will be using Swift Scirocco 180gr and they are in stock now on Swifts website.
If you are hunting other animals in Zim you will likely also need a .375.
best of luck on this adventure.
Philip
To answer your question is this a booked leopard hunt or not the answer to that is no. A leopard hunt is not on the list for this hunt although I have often thought of hunting for one. The US Rep for the safari operator that I will be using informed me that the area that I will be hunting has leopard, cull, tusk-less elephant and sable available this year. He said there are lots of cats and in this area they're commonly seen in daylight. This was something for me to keep in mind when when planning my hunt. A by chance leopard would be considerably less cost than a dedicated leopard hunt. Thus my comment that "I might hunt a leopard" I want to be prepared if I decide to act on a chance opportunity.

.300 Mag is perfectly legal in Zim- and it is excellent, as with a "soft" softpoint the hydrostatic shock
depends mostly on the speed of the bullet. I shot three Leopard with my custom-made.300 Mag and they just fell out of the tree stone dead. I would not use the .375 Mag as it is far too much gun for a leopard.
And, by the way, if your Tom weighs 75 KG you got a very good one...

To answer your question is this a booked leopard hunt or not the answer to that is no. A leopard hunt is not on the list for this hunt although I have often thought of hunting for one. The US Rep for the safari operator that I will be using informed me that the area that I will be hunting has leopard, cull, tusk-less elephant and sable available this year. He said there are lots of cats and in this area they're commonly seen in daylight. This was something for me to keep in mind when when planning my hunt. A by chance leopard would be considerably less cost than a dedicated leopard hunt. Thus my comment that "I might hunt a leopard" I want to be prepared if I decide to act on a chance opportunity.
Who will you be hunting with?

It sounds really great that your booking rep says your P.H. has quota available for leopard. etc during your hunt. We all like targets of opportunity, especially in Africa. Just do yourself (and the rest of the hunting community) a big favor and communicate directly with the P.H. (or outfitter) before you arrive. If your outfitter does not have a permit in his hand with your name on it and a Zim parks game scout in your presence, you may not legally shoot a leopard or tuskless or cull elephant. Just make sure you are legal before you leave camp. I don't want to be alarmist, just be careful and enjoy your hunt.

I used a Barnes 150gr tsx FN and it performed spectacularly. The FN has a much larger opening and therefore opens up my quicker than standard tsx. One shot all it took. Can run this projectile in 308,30-06 or 300 win. Good luck. Enjoy your trip.

Unless it is private area instead of a Parks or communal areas one has to procure the license before the hunt for leopard, elephant, lion etc.. So, seeing a leopard in daytime while walking around (despite the very, very low odds) does not mean you can shoot it if no license. Not to mention having the obligatory ranger with you.

Also, the leopard has to be male and over 6 (I think) years old. I don't think your PH will have a chance to verify all that on a leopard walking around.

Not to mention it would not make financial sense for an outfitter to let you shoot a leopard and use his quota when you are paying lower rates. He'd package it as a leopard hunt with appropriate daily rates and make his money.

If they are promising you a possibility of shooting a leopard during a cheaper hunt, then they are exaggerating if not outright lying. Don't forget also that leopards are nocturnal, so the odds of running across one during the day while hunting something else is very rare.

I have seen lions in the wild during a hunt but never leopards (except on bait) during daylight.

Who is the Outfitter???

Echoing everyone else's comments- I'd confirm with the outfitter regarding the leopard.

Regarding guns, on our last safari we brought 470NE, 375HH, and 300WM. The 300WM was unnecessary. 470NE for elephant and 375HH for everything else would have been perfect. 375HH will cover you for anything short of DG and is good enough for Hippo, buff, croc, etc.

But really, confirm with your outfitter about that leopard! Don't let them get your hopes up when there's no chance.

There are lots of leopard in Zim, but that should be the main focus of your hunt, with prices to match, if you actually want a leopard. I can say with pretty high confidence that you won't trip over a leopard by mistake.

It sounds really great that your booking rep says your P.H. has quota available for leopard. etc during your hunt. We all like targets of opportunity, especially in Africa. Just do yourself (and the rest of the hunting community) a big favor and communicate directly with the P.H. (or outfitter) before you arrive. If your outfitter does not have a permit in his hand with your name on it and a Zim parks game scout in your presence, you may not legally shoot a leopard or tuskless or cull elephant. Just make sure you are legal before you leave camp. I don't want to be alarmist, just be careful and enjoy your hunt.
This hunt is quite early in its planning stage and these issues will be addressed with the P/H as I always like my I's dotted and my T's crossed when I go on a hunt. I thank you your input and it's appreciated. I will know before I depart, just what is available to me in the way of a leopard. On my buffalo hunt we were accompanied by a game warden and I would expect the same with a cat. I believe that I have a good P/H but if something doesn't feel right I will not leave it to chance, I will not risk it. I will have to get more information from the P/H to see what the Representative was talking about. I wasn't planning on a cat at this particular time but it would be nice if it works out.

This hunt is quite early in its planning stage and these issues will be addressed with the P/H as I always like my I's dotted and my T's crossed when I go on a hunt. I thank you your input and it's appreciated. I will know before I depart, just what is available to me in the way of a leopard. On my buffalo hunt we were accompanied by a game warden and I would expect the same with a cat. I believe that I have a good P/H but if something doesn't feel right I will not leave it to chance, I will not risk it. I will have to get more information from the P/H to see what the Representative was talking about. I wasn't planning on a cat at this particular time but it would be nice if it works out.
So tell us who your PH/Outfitter is.

375HH is an ideal caliber for leopard. Ideally with a softer bullet like an Nosler Partition, Accubond, or something else that opens up real quick.

I found an A-Frame to work as well, but its really not ideal as it is too tough of a bullet.

Nothing wrong with 300WM as a gun but you can do better if you're going to fly halfway around the world to hunt leopard. Buy a 375hh.

A .300 RUM was my backup for my leopard hunt if Heym had not finished my 9.3x74R in time. A .300 WM will be fine as well. People have shot leopards with a .308, we are not talking about a lion with dense bones.

Your .300 WM is great for leopard. Rapid expansion is necessary. As someone mentioned the old A-Square lion load was perfect.
Your Zim. PH will have all permits for your leopard and the required NP game scout which he cannot get without the paper work.
Since your shot will most likely take place after dark (unless you are hunting on a NP estate) I would stress a scope with great optics and a very visible reticle.
Direct your questions to your Zim.PH and you will not go wrong.

As others have mentioned, a soft deer type bullet. Also a quality red dot scope. Bring the rifle you shoot the best.

Doug3006 mentioned the Sierra ProHunter round nosed bullets. I really think more people should consider round nosed bullets for Leopard because of the short ranges and rapid energy transfer. For handloaders, the 30-30 170gr round nosed Partition in any scoped 30 caliber rifle would probrably be close to perfect. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010506567

Also consider light for caliber fast loads with soft bullets in the 375HH and 9.3X62. Bigger holes are good thing with cats. But again, for your Leopard, bring the rifle you shoot the best. Shoot the cat precisely where your PH tells you to.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 9.17.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 9.17.09 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 9.17.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 9.17.13 AM.png
    807.3 KB · Views: 53

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
88clbcare

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with