Going it alone.....

My very first trip I did a ton of work and gathered information and shared it. Near the last minute the peanut gallery (friends) started chattering about other options.
I came back rather quickly with the sentiment that Hank shared.
"I do what I want to do, and if someone wants to come along, that’s fine, but nothing hinges on it. The hunting comes first."
This is where, this is when, choose if you can make it, if not fine, I'm going. I did, they joined.
I have had more trips alone than with others. I enjoy my own company and meeting new people. I can also sit in a blind with a PH and say 10 words in 8 hours.

Do what you need to in order to feel comfortable and safe. Happy hunting.

I’ve got 2 buddies who’ve seen a several of the public land mule deer and elk I’ve killed and ask when I’m going to invite them. I’ve told them a couple times to pick a unit, dates and let’s go hunt, that I’m open to explore new places and they never do, or they ask why we can’t just hunt where I killed X,Y,Z. You know, the type of guys that worship certain archery hunting celebrities, but don’t really bring anything to the table themselves. I’m sure I’m not the only one that knows a few people like this.

Also got a bunch of other friends (including the 2 above) ask all the time about Africa. I’ve got no issues doing to leg work here, but when it’s time to write the check it’s excuse after excuse about why they can’t or it’s crickets from them. I’m going hunting with or without them, or anyone else and encourage everyone else to do the same even if it means going solo.

If you do go solo, a Garmin InReach, 66i, or 67i is great to update friends and family and for their peace of mind

I have trips to Africa with my wife, with a friend and with a small group of friends. Never solo. I would only go with my wife and 1 close friend (and his wife) only. Others make it hard work

I have done a number of trips to Namibia to 3 different outfits. All have been good trips. I enjoy the company of hunting companions on these trips. However trying to organise a party of 3 or 4 is akin to pushing water uphill !
This year I did a trip to @GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS with a friend of mine who came to hunt in Namibia for the first time in 2022.
Much easier to organise. Although aligning our flights to meet up was a bit problematical.
Btw, we had an awesome week with Game 4 Africa.

I have done almost all my traveling hunting trips solo. For the most part I prefer doing them solo.

Personally, for me, hunting is 10% social and 90% about hunting. I have noticed a good number of my friends back home and many hunters I meet in hunting camps feel the opposite and see it as 90% a social/drinking event and 10% about hunting. I have even seen multiple people just decide to not go out and stay back at camp and socialize and drink all day and late into the evening, foregoing hunting completely. I have a hard time understanding paying a lot of money for a guided hunt and doing the same thing you can do back home for free, but it's their money, and not my business.

I agree with all the things @Ridge Runner and @BRICKBURN said so far and I would echo all their comments.

A large part of why I started going on many adventures solo, or just with my wife if she was able, was because I noticed how many adventures got cancelled or "postponed" (usually indefinitely), when trying to plan them with others.

A great example was that I had always wanted to see the grand canyon. I was supposed to go many years ago with a friend, but at the last minute they backed out and the way they did it caused me not to be able to go as well. Same thing happened with alligator hunting before that. Now, I just plan a trip I want to go on by myself or with my wife and do it, by doing things that way, I have had more awesome adventures than anyone I personally know.

It isn't without it's own nervous feelings and risks. Of course traveling by yourself is always a bit more unsettling when you end up in bad situations. But 99% of the time it works out and that's part of the excitement as well.

In regards to, and back to just specifically about hunting: Something I notice about most "local" hunting groups of people that have hunted together forever is that there is a lot of jealousy and negativity. No part of me wants to bring that along to a new DIY hunt adventure or a paid guided hunt.

Like someone else said, if you take a bunch of people you know, it often turns into a bit of a competition. I don't really want to do that on a new hunt. I just want to enjoy it.

I also find it frustrating when you have done a ton of research to find a good quality hunt for a fair price on an animal you have done a bunch of research on, or have lots of experience with hunting. Then some random buddy in the group decides to google hunts for 3 minutes and comes back saying they found a cheaper deal or a fancier place and want to try and change everything up.

This is longwinded, but it's the wee hours of the morning and I just happened to have thought about this subject a lot lately. Because I was recently planning another trip and, as I always do when I first start planning another trip, I think, "I wonder if any of my other hunting buddies would want to go with me." Then I run through the list and it goes like this, "No, Tom is always busy and has no more vacation time. Not Mike, he refuses to spend money to hunt and only wants to hunt deer. Not Bob because he will say X animal isn't worth Y price and he can find a cheaper deal. Not Dave, he always backs out last minute. Not Mark because he gets super cranky anytime someone has success and he doesn't and ruins it for everyone else." Then I come to the conclusion I do 90% of the time, that it's way easier to plan and go on my own.

I will say, the largest drawback to hunting solo all the time is that it is becoming common to charge a large increase in price for a person booking a single guided hunt vs. with a group. Often even when it makes no sense to do it and being solo changes nothing about the setup of the hunt.

I went to RSA with a group, had a blast. I prefer going with family and friends but I wouldn't sweat going it alone. Two people, out of four person group, were placed with individual PH's. I was one of those two. 75% of my time was spent with my PH. It was nice seeing my family when I got back to camp at night for some beers but other than the airport/plane, that was the only time I spent with them. Like I said, I enjoyed it, but if I had to go solo at some point going forward I wouldn't blink.

If it's a first trip to Africa, going with a friend is probably more enjoyable.

As others have mentioned, cost is a consideration. You might end up paying more, individually, than if you are with a group.

On the bright side, you don't have to worry about your party cancelling last minute. The party I went with in May of 2023 is returning May of 2025. I can't go. One of the guys in the group supposedly cancelled. So now they have to fill that spot. I'm sure they will but its an added hassle.

I prefer solo.

I’m single, girlfriends don’t stick around long and I don’t want them around long anymore, and my friends always have some reason why they can’t do something. So I’m not waiting on anyone. I’m just going to go do what I want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristineHe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?