Going it alone.....

In my opinion, the only mistake would be to overthink it and not end up going at all.

Each trip is unique and comes with its own set of memories. I’ve enjoyed all of my trips and wouldn’t change the company if I had the chance to do it differently. Only once, for one night and with one solo hunter, have I had to share camp with others outside of my hunting party.

My wife and I went with another couple on our first trip. I’ve been with my brother (his first trip). My wife and I went by ourselves for our 20th wedding anniversary. My last trip I went solo.

Best of luck scheduling your trip, and finding a traveling companion if that is the route you so choose.

My first hunt, was going to be my “only” safari. My non hunting wife went with me. She went out in the truck with us the first day. Otherwise she’d stay in camp in the AM and go out with us in the PM. The PH would ask her: “Would Madam like to go for a drive?” She’d take pictures and do game viewing. I did take a couple of animals on the PM drives. Our hut overlooked the sand river and she’d watch the baboons playing and other game. In fact we were looking for a kudu and she showed us the camera and said: “Like this one?” Just by shear luck, I shot that one about a mile away the next day.
My brother is an avid photographer and I had invited him to go with my wife and I, but he declined. I think after he saw my pictures, when I asked him if he want to go to Namibia with me, he jumped on it. He had a great time. He shoots but doesn’t hunt. They asked him if he wanted to take a cull animal and he said he’d try. He took a cow eland. Probably the only animal he’ll ever shoot. He is always asking me when I’m going back.
Other than my brother, I have a nephew and a friend from the range that have expressed some interest in going to Africa that I wouldn’t mind going with. That said, they would still be 1x1 hunts. Meet up when or if we’d want and still share stories around the fire at night.

Traveling alone is fine with me. I have done it my entire career all over the world, including to Africa. Some people may not feel comfortable negotiating all the logistics by themselves which is understandable.
I think this is one of the biggest mental hurdles have for this type of adventure. Those of us who have solo traveled to this extent are not unique but certainly a rare bred compared to most travelers.
It’s a skill set most people don’t develop without work money for travel and if you have your own you probabaly have a team to take care of problems.

I think this is one of the biggest mental hurdles have for this type of adventure. Those of us who have solo traveled to this extent are not unique but certainly a rare bred compared to most travelers.
It’s a skill set most people don’t develop without work money for travel and if you have your own you probabaly have a team to take care of problems.
That's a really good point.
I've traveled globally on business for years and never give it a second thought on where I'm sent next. Conversely, I struggle to understand why so many of my relatives get so stressed out on a domestic flight if it involves a connection or delay.

On the contrary, I simply don’t much like taking care of problems for others - or acting as tour guide. Simply hire the right travel agent and go hunting.

My first hunt was with a friend. Of the next more than 15 (!), one was a friend, one with my son and one with my wife. The rest have been alone. I’ve often had my booking agent/outfitter with me who is Zimbabwean and lives there, to video my hunts. I trust him to get me where I need to be with the right people and he’s never let me down.

I do enjoy hunting with others, but I don’t like to plan around others or worry about others’ changes of plans. I do what I want to do, and if someone wants to come along, that’s fine, but nothing hinges on it. The hunting comes first.

I went alone my first 8ish trips. Then I started bringing one of my sons.

I recommend going alone strongly on your first safari.

Pro’s:

You aren’t lonely anyway, you get to spend a lot of time at camp with the staff, operator, and PH. You actually get to forge meaningful friendships when you have that 1:1 time.

You won’t be prone to jealousy, nobody shot something bigger than you.

The whole camp is invested in you, your triumphs, your tribulations. A group camp is melancholy with everyone in a different emotional state due to the various ups and downs happening simultaneously.

When problems happen, everyone is working for you. In a group, somebody else’s cruiser, or toilet, or firearm, or stuck vehicle ends up becoming your distraction as everyone diverts from hunting for you to helping for the other. (Vice versa of course, it goes both ways)

When you are struck by the beauty of a moment, it’s selfishly yours to cherish. The southern cross shines bright, or a tear forms in your eye as you stand next to an elephant, these are spiritual moments and they belong to you and your emotions.

Con’s:

Nightlife revelry isn’t profound. Drinking all night like a Frat boy has its place, and often times at our ages we haven’t done it in about 20 years. Having a blockbuster day in the field can lead to a memorable party with dear friends from back home.

It’s a really long flight. If you’re an extrovert, you can only read so many books and watch so many Netflix documentaries on snail husbandry until you just want to order a round of bourbons and talk with your buddies next to you on the plane. (Although I have drank bourbon on the plane standing for two hours in the aisles chatting with other safari hunters I just met which was great fun)

We are all dying someday. The person you skipped taking may be the person you never get to hunt with again. Kids are growing up too, when a kid graduates highschool they have consumed 95% of the days of contact with a parent they will have for the rest of their lives. You probably should have brought a child.
As a father of 4 kids. Your last two sentences hit me square in the chest... sounds like I need to take my kids to Africa before they are not kids anymore.

As a father of 4 kids. Your last two sentences hit me square in the chest... sounds like I need to take my kids to Africa before they are not kids anymore.

Nobody regrets taking a son or daughter to Africa. Our days of selfishness are over by the time we can read this forum. By the numbers, if you take a child over the age of 18 to Africa for 14 days, you're literally extending the amount of hours you will spend with that child for the rest of your life by about 10%.

Do the math. We're old. They aren't. Here's your chance.

Nobody regrets taking a son or daughter to Africa. Our days of selfishness are over by the time we can read this forum. By the numbers, if you take a child over the age of 18 to Africa for 14 days, you're literally extending the amount of hours you will spend with that child for the rest of your life by about 10%.

Do the math. We're old. They aren't. Here's your chance.
Thank you so much for these comments

I went (not hunting) by myself. I am planning a return trip and will probaby go solo - even though I'd like my wife to go - she is too freaked out.... (I might be able to take my daughter though).

My issue is very few of my friends give a rat's behind about Africa...

I travel solo; got tired of last minute excuses by friends backing out.

The only con I have is not being able to share alike memories around a campfire.

The pro are numerous: (here are a just few)

Travel at will
Hunt at will
Can instantly adjust itinerary while traveling.
Not having to wait for others to commit or cancel
No lost hunting time or other adventures

Life is to short to wait on others.

Nailed it.

I have 2 guys I hunt with pretty routinely because we all can't stand going/taking other people that are not organized, not ready, and are "fluid" with time.

We say something like this when others are invited: "I'm leaving my driveway AT (insert time) and you're welcome to come along if you make it."

Same for catching the mule to morning and afternoon hunts.

Thank you so much for these comments

I went to Zim about ten times, then starting bringing my fanatical hunter middle son when he was 9.

I don't remember every detail about taking a tusker, but I remember him sniping doves, pigeons, and guineas out the bakkie window for us to eat every lunchtime. I remember him drawing back and letting down on several warthogs and wildebeests with his bow because he didn't think it was an ethical shot. I remember him jumping out of the cruiser to help a chameleon across the road, or to photograph a tortoise.

At the end of my days, I don't remember nearly as much about my DG hunts as I do about taking a kid to Africa. It feels pretty damned good to have been able to expose my children to a culture and part of the world that was far beyond my means a the same age.

Go book it.

Nailed it.

I have 2 guys I hunt with pretty routinely because we all can't stand going/taking other people that are not organized, not ready, and are "fluid" with time.

We say something like this when others are invited: "I'm leaving my driveway AT (insert time) and you're welcome to come along if you make it."

Same for catching the mule to morning and afternoon hunts.

Tell me about it. There are 16 pesonality types on this planet, most of those that make any reasoanble income are detail oriented and have every mitigation plan figured out, leaving to the second, with a map and a budget. Then there are these 5% unicorns that are total F-ups that have no plans and for some damned reason, everything sorta works out in life to their favor anyway.

Those are the guys that are late to arrive for a hunt and you're the driver. Your job is to pack the parachutes, their job is to jump out of the plane without any forethought.

My first trip I invited my father to join me as an observer on a buffalo hunt. He ended up giving a PowerPoint at every Rotary, Elks, etc… organization he’s a member of. Told them about feeding the whole camp and then some, conservation, vegetation and animals. He had a blast! He even shot his second big game animal ever, a Blue Wildebeest. I thought I’d got the Africa bug out of my system.

A few years later a wounded buddy asked me if I’d take him to Africa on my next trip. Told him I’d ask the wife, but not to get his hopes up. The wife said “yes, you have to…” We had a blast. Both of us took more animals than we planned and he, a one-legged blind man, made took all but one animal with a single shot.

Fast forward to now. I’ve booked a non-exportable Caprivi elephant hunt. Dad would’ve loved to come along, but I was hesitant given he’s 87. Then, just a few weeks ago he had three stints put in so he and I will fly fish near his home in CO for a while. I offered to cap one buddy’s expenses at airfare and observer fees since he’s spooked by financial surprises. Too many unknowns for him so he backed out. Offered to pay all expenses for another friend, because he’s a good guy and a great wildlife photographer, but he’s never been gone from the missus more than 10 days and he’d be gone from his hobby farm too, so he’s staying home.

Gotta admit, other than potential lack of campfire conversation, I’m kind of excited about going solo.

I’ve done more solo Safaris than with friends and family. I must say that I enjoy the camaraderie with a group.

That being said, I’ve never experienced a jealousy issue as some others have posted. I’m just happy for everyone’s success whenever we are on the hunt.

Safaris have always been an adventure for me and when the drive becomes strong I go whether I have a travel partner or not.

So, my advice is to set goals and go often, you will have a much richer and fuller life for it.

John Ed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csaerotherm

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]