Going it alone.....

Mr. 16 gauge

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
How many of you go hunting in Africa by yourself? Seems that most folks are going with family/friends.

I've only been once, but my wife went along..............she doesn't hunt, but loves to travel and she got to see and do some "touristy" things.

I would like to go back, but I have few friends who hunt and none of them want to spend the money on a trip to Africa. My wife is working on her "bucket list" and she wants to go to other countries (Australia, China, etc) and so she isn't interested in going back.

As I get older and have more health issues, I'm just wondering if I should be concerned or if I am making a big deal out of nothing. There always seems to be a problem that pops up and sometimes two heads can be better than one.

Just looking for experiences...........both pro and con.

Thanks...........

I have the same problem but found groups of hunters going over.

Depending on your time frame I'd suggest sending a message to Phillip Glass on the forum here. He is putting a group together for 2027 I believe to hunt at Frontier Safaries

I have done all but two trips to Africa alone. Two were with my son which were great, but otherwise, I actually prefer traveling alone. If I am hunting with a former outfitter or PH then it is great to renew friendships, and I enjoy making new ones. Most bunts in Europe are a combination short hunting expedition and then a longer holiday with my spouse.

I travel solo; got tired of last minute excuses by friends backing out.

The only con I have is not being able to share alike memories around a campfire.

The pro are numerous: (here are a just few)

Travel at will
Hunt at will
Can instantly adjust itinerary while traveling.
Not having to wait for others to commit or cancel
No lost hunting time or other adventures

Life is to short to wait on others.

How many of you go hunting in Africa by yourself? Seems that most folks are going with family/friends.

I've only been once, but my wife went along..............she doesn't hunt, but loves to travel and she got to see and do some "touristy" things.

I would like to go back, but I have few friends who hunt and none of them want to spend the money on a trip to Africa. My wife is working on her "bucket list" and she wants to go to other countries (Australia, China, etc) and so she isn't interested in going back.

As I get older and have more health issues, I'm just wondering if I should be concerned or if I am making a big deal out of nothing. There always seems to be a problem that pops up and sometimes two heads can be better than one.

Thanks...........
I went by myself on my first safari. I enjoyed it tremendously. It was a great adventure and traveling alone gave me a great sense of freedom. The PH went with me up to see Vic Falls as he was between clients and we had a good time. My wife went with me when I went back. We spent 4 days touring Jo'burg, Vic Falls and Chobe National Park. That was also a good time and my wife could see some if the animals that I would be hunting. That was also a good time, but different. I felt a little bit obligated to entertain my wife and worry about whether she was having a good time. So I have done it both ways and enjoyed both. I never have traveled to Africa with another hunter and really wouldn't be concerned about it either way. You're freer when you travel alone , but you have company and someone to assist with any issues that may come up while traveling if you go with someone else.

So I would say don't worry about it. If you've u decide on another safari make a plan and go. Plan on going alone, but if someone else wants to go along that works too, just alter your plan a little. Just go while you can.

Last edited:
I have done 6 trips. Two trips I had friends along and seemed ok, but was like there was competition. Who got the biggest?
I have had more fun by myself on the other 4 trips than with friends. I plan my trips now as solo trips, so all I have to worry about is me. I have health issues and have had to seek medical while there. A good PH always has a plan if you need medical. That's what I purchase Global Rescue and additional medical coverage for.

Thanks...........

I went alone my first 8ish trips. Then I started bringing one of my sons.

I recommend going alone strongly on your first safari.

Pro’s:

You aren’t lonely anyway, you get to spend a lot of time at camp with the staff, operator, and PH. You actually get to forge meaningful friendships when you have that 1:1 time.

You won’t be prone to jealousy, nobody shot something bigger than you.

The whole camp is invested in you, your triumphs, your tribulations. A group camp is melancholy with everyone in a different emotional state due to the various ups and downs happening simultaneously.

When problems happen, everyone is working for you. In a group, somebody else’s cruiser, or toilet, or firearm, or stuck vehicle ends up becoming your distraction as everyone diverts from hunting for you to helping for the other. (Vice versa of course, it goes both ways)

When you are struck by the beauty of a moment, it’s selfishly yours to cherish. The southern cross shines bright, or a tear forms in your eye as you stand next to an elephant, these are spiritual moments and they belong to you and your emotions.

Con’s:

Nightlife revelry isn’t profound. Drinking all night like a Frat boy has its place, and often times at our ages we haven’t done it in about 20 years. Having a blockbuster day in the field can lead to a memorable party with dear friends from back home.

It’s a really long flight. If you’re an extrovert, you can only read so many books and watch so many Netflix documentaries on snail husbandry until you just want to order a round of bourbons and talk with your buddies next to you on the plane. (Although I have drank bourbon on the plane standing for two hours in the aisles chatting with other safari hunters I just met which was great fun)

We are all dying someday. The person you skipped taking may be the person you never get to hunt with again. Kids are growing up too, when a kid graduates highschool they have consumed 95% of the days of contact with a parent they will have for the rest of their lives. You probably should have brought a child.

Most international hunts I’ve done myself. I’ve also done several with my Dad. There are a few hunters I’d really like to share a camp with but generally it’s easier to go alone and more enjoyable. No excuses, conflicting schedules, or different priorities that can make something that should be fun frustrating. I think hunting with another hunter who has similar goals for the hunt would be good especially around fire in evening, but I think the large group hunts present more negatives than advantages.

Thanks...........
In all my safaris I have only gone with a group of friends once. While I love my friends and loved the hunt going by myself is no problem at all for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DieterUlme

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]