Further evaluations of the Sako Brown Bear

The RM 56. I think it's discontinued but they still have them in stock here. They also make one that will pop into a leupold QR scope base. This one sits low enough to cowitness the iron sights

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 6.54.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 6.54.22 AM.png
    635.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 6.54.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 6.54.26 AM.png
    736.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Nice rifle and red dot setup. Thanks for posting.
What is the weight of your rifle setup?
How is the recoil?
The CZ 550 I had was not too bad in recoil, but felt like handling, aiming a railroad crosstie.
This Sako looks and feels (a .416 Rigby I tried) more ergonomic.

Nice rifle and red dot setup. Thanks for posting.
What is the weight of your rifle setup?
How is the recoil?
The CZ 550 I had was not too bad in recoil, but felt like handling, aiming a railroad crosstie.
This Sako looks and feels (a .416 Rigby I tried) more ergonomic.
I've handled a Sako but never shot one. The stying is similar to the Blaser R8 that I do own and have shot extensively. I've also owned a CZ550 Safari.

The svelte feel and handling of the Sako/Blaser are amazing, but the narrow width of the butt pad can make shooting a .400+ a challenge to your shoulder. That is why I know Blaser offers a "safari" style recoil pad that is wider across and thicker in length (adding LOP) than their normal recoil pads. Not sure about the Sako, but I know several owners change out the recoil pad for something with more surface area and a little thicker. The CZ550, although blocky, has a substantial recoil pad surface area to soak up that force.

The trick is finding a rifle that fits you properly and has a good balance. As caliber goes up, rifle fit becomes more important. Second is weight vs caliber, it has to be within your tolerance limit to shoot it accurately. I'd think for a 416RIGBY with scope, ammo and sling that 9.5-10# would be in the ball park. Lastly would be stying...special piece of timber, engraving, special finish...etc, something to make it yours.

Lots of choices out there. Something to make everyone happy...at least until they pull the trigger. :ROFLMAO:

I've handled a Sako but never shot one. The stying is similar to the Blaser R8 that I do own and have shot extensively. I've also owned a CZ550 Safari.

The svelte feel and handling of the Sako/Blaser are amazing, but the narrow width of the butt pad can make shooting a .400+ a challenge to your shoulder. That is why I know Blaser offers a "safari" style recoil pad that is wider across and thicker in length (adding LOP) than their normal recoil pads. Not sure about the Sako, but I know several owners change out the recoil pad for something with more surface area and a little thicker. The CZ550, although blocky, has a substantial recoil pad surface area to soak up that force.

The trick is finding a rifle that fits you properly and has a good balance. As caliber goes up, rifle fit becomes more important. Second is weight vs caliber, it has to be within your tolerance limit to shoot it accurately. I'd think for a 416RIGBY with scope, ammo and sling that 9.5-10# would be in the ball park. Lastly would be stying...special piece of timber, engraving, special finish...etc, something to make it yours.

Lots of choices out there. Something to make everyone happy...at least until they pull the trigger. :ROFLMAO:
I had a kickkeez recoil pad installed on the 500. It is 9.5lb from the factory. I also had matt put a mercury reducer in it. I like the narrow forearm also because I can wrap my hand around the forearm and wrap my thumb over the barrel. This really affords you a lot of extra control with the hard kickers. It is sitting in the shooting house with me as I'm typing this. Hoping to test her out on a whitetail this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
van240784

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's