YancyW

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, RMEF, Ducks Unlimited
Like many, I will use any conceivable reason to buy a new firearm. I am looking for a full stock, European made, rifle for my trip. 6.5x55 or 7x64 is the direction I am leaning.

Please give your thoughts on you favorite full stock rifles, I am leaning towards a Heym model 21 or a Mannlicher Schoenauer. Sako Bavarian is also an option, but I am looking for something a little different.

I own and love full stocked rifles, don't overlook CZs in full Mannlicher stocks. I took my CZ550 308 Mannlicher hunting in Africa. I also own a rare Montgomery Wards built by Heym back in the 60s
DSC00408.jpg

I own and love full stocked rifles, don't overlook CZs in full Mannlicher stocks. I took my CZ550 308 Mannlicher hunting in Africa. I also own a rare Montgomery Wards built by Heym back in the 60sView attachment 215487

Well hell, that is beautiful, I will take it.

Model 1903 6.5x54 Mannlicher Shoenauer. The world standard by which all other full stock rifles have been measured for 115 years. Just as effective and efficient now as it was then. A truly superb deer rifle.

Like many, I will use any conceivable reason to buy a new firearm. I am looking for a full stock, European made, rifle for my trip. 6.5x55 or 7x64 is the direction I am leaning.

Please give your thoughts on you favorite full stock rifles, I am leaning towards a Heym model 21 or a Mannlicher Schoenauer. Sako Bavarian is also an option, but I am looking for something a little different.

Hi YancyW,

Most of my hunting rifles are not full length stocked.
However, I do have a CZ model 550FS, in 6.5x55 and a CZ full stocked .22 that is the same only smaller.
I'm quite fond of these little rifles and wouldn't mind at all taking the 6.5 to Africa one day, to hunt some of the smallish antelopes, from Impala / Reedbok on down.
Plus, it'd be good for baboon, jackal and such as well.

Sadly, I probably will never reach the point in my life that I can afford to focus on a small critter safari but, I am keeping the 6.5, just in case I'm wrong.
It is very accurate and if I ever have grand children, it will also be excellent for them to learn on, as they progress from rimfire upwards.

That said, between the calibers you mention, I'd want the 7x64 Brenneke for general "plains game" hunting, as some of the larger antelopes plus zebra, can really soak up lead if not hit just right.
The 7x64 loaded with 175 grain A-Frames should do nicely on even large zebra stallion, waterbok bull and such tough guys.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

"I spent most of my money on properly made rifles and big game hunting, the rest I just wasted."

I love my 6.5 x 55 Swedes and took one to Africa a year and a half ago. Why not have a stock maker build a Mannlicher stock for you?

Well hell, that is beautiful, I will take it.
One came up on Gunbroker a while back in 30/06 like mine, it sold for 1000.00, no clue what they sold for back in the late 50s early 60s.

This is my little M1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer. It was originally built in 6.5x54 and some numbskull converted it to 6.5x57. Don't get me wrong, the 6.5 Mauser is a wonderful caliber and the ammunition is more easily obtainable, but such a classic should have been left alone. This one has claw mounts and a fifties era scope (still clear and useable - those Germans) but will be heading up the JJ Perodeau soon for a new set of rings to mount a quality modern scope. This particular carbine shoots 1.5 inch groups at 100 meters with S&B ammunition. I am sure Lance Hendershot and I can get it into a MOA with a quality bullet.

Got to love that Monkey Ward Heym. Congrats on finding that wonderful rifle. Just promise me you will get rid of that hideous Pachmayr White Line pad and grace that lovely thing with something like a classic Silver's. ;)

Hi YancyW,

However, I do have a CZ model 550FS, in 6.5x55 and a CZ full stocked .22 that is the same only smaller.
I'm quite fond of these little rifles and wouldn't mind at all taking the 6.5 to Africa one day, to hunt some of the smallish antelopes, from Impala / Reedbok on down.

Sadly, I probably will never reach the point in my life that I can afford to focus on a small critter safari but, I am keeping the 6.5, just in case I'm wrong.
It is very accurate and if I ever have grand children, it will also be excellent for them to learn on, as they progress from rimfire upwards.

That said, between the calibers you mention, I'd want the 7x64 Brenneke for general "plains game" hunting, as some of the larger antelopes plus zebra, can really soak up lead if not hit just right.
The 7x64 loaded with 175 grain A-Frames should do nicely on even large zebra stallion, waterbok bull and such tough guys.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

"I spent most of my money on properly made rifles and big game hunting, the rest I just wasted."

So what I hear you saying is, I need to buy both. I like the way you think.

A CZ in 7x64
l3KUlqJ.jpg

Steyr-Mannlicher Luxus in 7x57
0fzSSuw.jpg

Attachments

• 0fzSSuw.jpg
    0fzSSuw.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 875
  • l3KUlqJ.jpg
    l3KUlqJ.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,874
Last edited by a moderator:
This is my little M1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer. It was originally built in 6.5x54 and some numbskull converted it to 6.5x57. Don't get me wrong, the 6.5 Mauser is a wonderful caliber and the ammunition is more easily obtainable, but such a classic should have been left alone. This one has claw mounts and a fifties era scope (still clear and useable - those Germans) but will be heading up the JJ Perodeau soon for a new set of rings to mount a quality modern scope. This particular carbine shoots 1.5 inch groups at 100 meters with S&B ammunition. I am sure Lance Hendershot and I can get it into a MOA with a quality bullet.

Got to love that Monkey Ward Heym. Congrats on finding that wonderful rifle. Just promise me you will get rid of that hideous Pachmayr White Line pad and grace that lovely thing with something like a classic Silver's. ;)

I believe that s the recoil pad that the rifle was built with, I'd hate to change it, It wears a classic 3x9 gloss Leupold, I love to take that old guy to Africa when I go back.I do know a guy with a classic Mannlicher, I wonder what he'd take for it

I believe that s the recoil pad that the rifle was built with, I'd hate to change it, It wears a classic 3x9 gloss Leupold, I love to take that old guy to Africa when I go back.I do know a guy with a classic Mannlicher, I wonder what he'd take for it
If the pad is stamped with a US brand, that will tell you. The Steyr in 7x57Joe's photo above is wearing a more typical Euro pad. But heck, if you like it, no big thing - your rifle. Really nice find.

If the pad is stamped with a US brand, that will tell you. The Steyr in 7x57Joe's photo above is wearing a more typical Euro pad. But heck, if you like it, no big thing - your rifle. Really nice find.
I really didn't know what I had nor did Cabelas I bought it from so I got it pretty cheap, when I pulled it apart I discovered the Heym West Germany markings
DSC00381.jpg
DSC00391.jpg

I have not found a full stock rifle to equal my Brno 22F 7x57. I own several others, a Sako L61R 30-06, a Sauer 202 .308, an Anschutz 1433 .22 hornet. Tried a few more including an original Mannlicher-Schonauer 1903 6.5mm. The Brno is svelte, accurate, lively, and fits me like an extension of thought. I have used it to shoot coyotes on the run at 30M and moose at 250M.
P1040442.JPG

Longwalker, that Brno is one sweet rifle. If you ever need to make a little more room in the safe, I get first "dib's."

Those Brno 22F are very fine rifles but, I have never had the pleasure of owning one nor even being able to handle one.:( That being said, my Husqvarna 1600H matches the description you gave for your 22F. I wish it was 7x57 instead of .30'06 but, I can make do as is.;)
5jC2gtd.jpg

Attachments

• 5jC2gtd.jpg
    5jC2gtd.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 431
This is a G33-40 I stocked for a friend. He has bought a 60's precarve and wanted it inletted and reshaped for the G33-40 with military stepped ( very good) barrel in 8x57
Photo3032.jpg

and after a while returned this to him minus a great deal of wood .

DSCN0022.JPG

Hi YancyW,

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Exactly but you forgot to add
All times wasted that not spent hunting.

A CZ in 7x64
l3KUlqJ.jpg

Steyr-Mannlicher Luxus in 7x57
0fzSSuw.jpg

Very nice indeed. I personally probably w t but another full stock rifle. I had a short barrelled 308 years ago.
It was fast handling (but very loud 20” barrel).
I think the 7 x 64 would be excellent for plains game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoracioSpi

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?