Frustration with doctor

So you know better than a doctor? Sound like most Americans wanting antibiotics for everything.
Never claimed to be a doctor, I’m just listening to what my ear is telling me. And it’s not happy. In fact, it’s beeching at me. I have asthma, and have had it all my life. I’m allergic to a LOT of stuff. I’ve had pneumonia twice, I’ve been to the ER numerous times for asthma attacks. Let me tell you, you don’t want to have a blood gas level test done where they try to pull blood out of your wrist. So I reckon I know what is happening with respiratory issues. The last time I went to see her was about two years ago feeling exactly the same and got a steroid shot. Hurt like hell, but it worked. Antibiotics do not work for viral infections, that’s not what I wanted the doxy for. I wanted it just in case.

Even an urgent care clinic will normally prescribe an antibiotic for travel. That bottle of Cipro has saved several of our trips.
I’m not sure if it is Pennsylvania specific but I’ve been told by several urgent cares that they cannot write travel prescriptions.

I’m not sure if it is Pennsylvania specific but I’ve been told by several urgent cares that they cannot write travel prescriptions.
Have had no issues with any UC PA here in Texas.

Guess I am a fool. Asked my Dr said tetanus booster and a I will be fine. Glad I survived 21 days in Africa without those foolish antibiotics. Listened to my Doctor and survived.

I won’t comment on whether you are a fool or not, but you are lucky. I have spent more time in Africa than most. Some was hunting, but many trips were to some of the worst hellholes on earth on humanitarian work. I have had malaria. I have had an intestinal disorder that CIPRO couldn’t beat and ultimately had to be knocked out with Flagyl (think 6 to 9 months to rebuild all the beneficial microbes you just killed). I would not use any doc that doesn’t take these issues seriously. The OP has a legitimate issue that should have gotten the nuclear treatment option given his intended travel. In his situation I would find a different Dr that takes these issues seriously.

Yep…

I once found myself laid up in a tribal clinic manned by a Somali “doctor” in Juba, South Sudan… with a glass jar IV feeding my arm through a musty yellow rubber line…

And that’s just one of a few times I’ve fallen less than well on the African continent..

So.. yeah… this fool carries some good meds these days… and sees a doctor that understands what traveling in the developing world can mean..

It’s not all 5 star lodges and western food… despite what some guys might experience on safari…

I travel these days with a suture kit, injectable steroids, local anesthetic, Doxycycline, Cipro, Flagyl, Celebrex, Imodium, Pepto, Tylenol, Phenergan, probiotics, and a couple other tidbits. My wife got plenty sick in Namibia once and was hospitalized when we finally made it home. This dummy poked around Windhoek pharmacies long enough to get what we needed, but they only gave it to me because I had a US medical license.

If outfitter thinks malaria preventative is good idea find a Dr that will prescribe that along with a course of Cipro. A logical plan that makes sense. I’m lucky to have a good PCP so don’t worry about having to “shop around” for basic service like travel prescriptions if needed. But over the last several years, I have also learned to distrust many Drs and the profession more and more. After thinking about it, I’ve begun to wonder if it’s a profession that has more interest in treating illness that preventing it- kind of a job security thing. Healthy clients won’t pay for college tuition for the kids nor for a comfortable retirement. ;)

I would suggest staying in reasonable shape, eating a healthy and varied diet, taking daily supplements like Vit C and a broad spectrum probiotic. If you have been taking antibiotics for whatever reason, chances are good your immune system is compromised and it will take quite a while being off the antibiotics along with regularly taking of probiotics to rebuild the immune system. Regular use of antibiotics is like being stuck in a self fulfilling negative cycle, creating a future , more likely need for antibiotics to treat or ward off illness during travel,

The posts about 3rd world countries having easier access to many common antibiotics is true. Many times being available over the counter.

Also, I tend to agree with the OP’s gut feeling about the Dr’s assessment of the ear ache being caused by an allergy… I guess it’s possible but something doesn’t sound right. An allergy can cause a sore throat but an ear infection or eustachian tube infection is something different and may very well require an antibiotic treatment…hmmm?

Most family docs are not up to speed on the issues facing foreign travelers, which vary by country. My family doc sent me to a PA whose only job was dealing with foreign travel. She did a great job checking our itinerary against country specific medical issues. Some were not obvious at least to me such as the need for proof of a Yellow Fever vaccination required by the Tanzanian government since the Texas southern border had Yellow Fever reports at the time. She also recommended a gamma globulin shot to boost the immune system as another less obvious recommendation. She checked the malaria maps and our previous reactions to anti-malaria meds.

Travel medicine is a niche speciality in medicine, but worth seeking out if available where you live.

Yes, Some third world countries and other remote areas may have meds of various types in reasonable supply, but are they still within a reasonable expiration date, nearing the expiration date, or past the expiration date.

It seems not long ago that one of the prime time investigative news shows, 60 minutes, 20/20, and alike, did a spot on pharmaceutical companies sending expired or nearly expired medicines to various foreign countries at nearly a third of the costs to what a US patient would have to pay for the same drug(s) prescribed by physicians, used by hospitals here in the US, to offset their bottom dollar.

I've been nursing an ear issue this week and my wife had a lot of congestion. We both took a Rona test Wednesday and both negative. As we are headed to RSA next week, I figured a trip to the doctor would be good prevention. I made an appt yesterday and I went to the local quack shack this morning. I've seen this doctor before and she's always been real thorough. Not today. She asked me what ailed me, so I gave her the symptoms. She looked in my ear, and not my throat, and said you've got allergies and they've backed up into your ear. "Keep taking your allergy meds and advil if it hurts." No prescriptions, no shots, nothing. I then asked her for a script for doxycycline for the trip and she said no. "I can't do that if you don't have anything wrong." Total disappointment. My wife, on the other hand, saw a different doctor. He ran a whole battery of tests and gave her a steroid shot in her ass. She feels a lot better this afternoon. I ain't looking forward to the pressure changes on the plane.
I have a new doctor(ess) and I am not certain what is her attitude.
In EU, going to doctor (as gun owner) is risky. Because as per law there are 19 various diagnosis which can result to gun confiscation by police. And any doctor has legal obligation to report his concerns for gun owner patient to the police. Then police takes the guns.
Gun owners sign agreement with this procedure before getting first gun license.
So, I dont like going to doctor.
This is special kind of frustration with doctors, beleive me.

Antibiotic on prescription, by "luck":
Anyway, I went hunting roe deer in the spring in north of the country.
I collected a tick.
So, I went to doctor and asked, for antibiotic as prevention to tick bite fever.
I got it. She BTW said to wait for few days if I get symptoms, and if having symptoms to take antibiotic.
I didnt get any symptoms, so I kept antibiotic. Will be back up for African trip.

Next is allergy. I did not have allergy attack since high school. But in recent years especially in my garden, and in my backyard, there is some plant in spring that cause me a breathing problems.
Effective medicine for this is Ventolin inhaler.
Issued on prescription.
Well, I prefer not to.
So, when travelling to work, offshore, I bought Ventolin inhaler to have in stock for back up, in pharmacy on international airport, no prescription.

I regularly take blood pressure pills.
When I was out of supply in Abu Dhabi, in local pharmacy they told me: If you have prescription you get it for free, if you dont have prescription you have to pay for it.

Bottom line: try to see what medicines are available in pharmacy at international airport or in other country without prescription. If planning Africa, try to see with Ph or outfitter, if they can get something for you without prescription. Different countries, different rules and different ways.

Last edited:
Quality medical care is easily accessible in South Africa and parts of Namibia if something happens. Elsewhere not so much or at all. I’m not going to a malaria area without malaria prophylaxis. Doxycycline is the one I prefer because I have no side effects for me. Dehydration from diarrhea on a tracking hunt in extreme heat can be a very serious situation as well particularly older hunters. Neither are something to take lightly.
@375Fox hope you don’t mind I altered your post. Doxycycline dose have side effects. It can make your skin very sensitive to the sun. if you’re hunting in the jungle all good. Namibia not so much fun.

I live in Michigan and also have to go to a travel clinic to get a prescription for malaria preventatives. Luckily the big medical network I use has a travel clinic. It is almost an hour's drive but using it my co-pays for prescriptions are very small. My wife and I also carry some super anti-diarrhea with us just in case.

Look at JASE medical

you answer a few questions online and then purchase any antibiotics you will need for a trip.
Someone pointed me to CVS minute clinic. I made an appointment for malaria prevention and got the prescription after a 10 minute appointment. I’ll be doing that in future instead of my doctor office, so much easier.
Thanks to @Altitude sickness and @375Fox! Great to know!

Now this is a little off topic but that's how threads grow;
Something I learned by experience. Before booking an African hunt, ask the outfitter and former clients what the PH has for:
1. First Aid kit for emergent and minor medical emergencies or problems. If the PH only has an old un-maintained old first aid kit behind the seat of the bakkie, run away from that outfit! After my first venture into Zimbabwe, I carry a small first aid kit in my pack. I ask that a tracker wear this pack which I give to him as a bonus (addition to money tip) upon leaving.
2. PH's plan for non-life threatening medical emergencies such as a bad earache, severe diarrhea/minor dysentery, sprained ankle, wrist and so on...
3. PH's plan for life threatening medical evacuations for clients with or without medical evacuation insurance.

I don't want to hunt with an outfit that isn't smart enough to plan for the worst!

I have seen that some international airport pharmacies have their contacts, or whatsapp numbers available on internet. So, who is interested, can drop them a message if they have some of medicine available without prescription.

Tell her(or hopefully another doc this week) you need Doxy for malaria, she can't argue that! And would share in your frustration for sure!

@375Fox hope you don’t mind I altered your post. Doxycycline dose have side effects. It can make your skin very sensitive to the sun. if you’re hunting in the jungle all good. Namibia not so much fun.
It’s been discussed here a few times. It seems mostly only individuals with extremely fair skin have that reaction. I’ve never had an issue with sunburn while using it if I apply sunscreen once in the morning including Namibia.

I travel these days with a suture kit, injectable steroids, local anesthetic, Doxycycline, Cipro, Flagyl, Celebrex, Imodium, Pepto, Tylenol, Phenergan, probiotics, and a couple other tidbits. My wife got plenty sick in Namibia once and was hospitalized when we finally made it home. This dummy poked around Windhoek pharmacies long enough to get what we needed, but they only gave it to me because I had a US medical license.

You sound like Slim Pickens reading off the contents of his survival kit in “Dr. Strangelove”!

Good to be prepared. IDK why anyone would risk a five figure trip without some basics of meds. Certainly most of these go unused, but why risk it?

I've used Doxy in the past as a malaria preventive. Never had a problem with sunburn. I applied sunscreen in the morning and took my Doxy in the evening. I'm doing a Cape Buffalo hunt next month. I asked my Dr. for Doxy for malaria prevention and some Ambien so I could sleep on the plane. No problem with either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwbybill

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.