Flat point VS Round nose solids

Flat point VS Round nose solids

• Total voters
Looks like the Flats have it. Its a shame barnes stopped making the flat nose solids but you never know they might start again. Never mind CEB do them so I just need to get some in to the UK

michael458 -

“The Barnes original FN Solids were all 65-66% meplat of caliber, nose profile was good, no real major issues there. It would feed in Winchester M70s 100%..........In the beginning, Barnes Touted the FN Solid as the best thing since sliced bread was invented, and RN could be eliminated from existence, RN was inferior in every way and useless, this is from Barnes in 2005........ I would concur with most of that at the time.

Then later, some model rifles was having issues feed and function....... I don't remember what year exactly, but Barnes committed a Tresonous Act, they became traitors to Superior Terminal Performance and proclaimed that FN Solids were not that good, that RN had been used for many years with success and they went back to the RN in many calibers........??? WTF??? This was because they could sell Round Nose bullets to the people who had inferior designed rifles, END OF STORY, and I went to war with them over it. Some well know writers and PHs that were paid by Barnes repeated the BS...... I called them out, and called them what they are.”

Just a guess, the management had to reconsider manufacturer legal duties and product liability laws. The laws vary somewhat among the various US states and other countries. There is a consistent and widely imposed duty for a product manufacturer to design and market products for the reasonably foreseeable uses and also reasonably foreseeable misuses of a product. Those duties mean the product must be designed to operate safely in those reasonably foreseeable uses.

Those duties are why a new cartridge design can be loaded fairly hot as it will be used new, modern rifles. Cartridges like .30-06 must operate safely in nearly 120 years rifles, so it is produced in fairly anemic offerings.

Obviously flat nose solids are used for dangerous game. A rifle jamming may result in severe injuries or death. The ammo manufacturer knows some of that ammo will be used in poorly made marginally functional rifles. So they manufacture to the lowest common denominator, not the top level of performance.

Keep in mind...

... that not all rifles will feed flat nose, or more appropriately said: truncated nose bullets, especially rifles that were tuned-up to feed round nose solids when these were the only game in town. And that includes rifles from the most prestigious makers (e.g. Holland & Holland, Rigby, Francotte, Griffin & Howe, etc.)

Whatever you prefer - and there seems to be convincing superior penetration evidence in favor of truncated nose bullets (but how much "more" do we seemingly ever want to have?) - the question "does it feed reliably in YOUR rifle" remains THE overarching factor.

This cannot be guessed, it has to be tried, including both deadly-silent slow motion, and lighting fast reloading, each of which can produce its own type of misfeed.

The third way...

... is to consider what I would call "semi-expanding solids" (e.g. Barnes TSX or equivalent) that perform double duty.

Emerging evidence from both professional culling and sport hunting in Africa seems to indicate that a TSX (or equivalent) penetrates as reliably an elephant skull, including from frontal shots, than any other solid, whether round or flat.

I have no such experience (culling elephants) myself, but I have yet to hear of a 500 gr TSX launched by a .458 Lott, or a 400 gr TSX launched by a full power .416 (pick your own: Rigby, Rem, Wby, etc.) failing to penetrate, and often exit, Buffalo, Elephant, Hippo skull or body.

Last edited:
Just a guess, the management had to reconsider manufacturer legal duties and product liability laws. The laws vary somewhat among the various US states and other countries. There is a consistent and widely imposed duty for a product manufacturer to design and market products for the reasonably foreseeable uses and also reasonably foreseeable misuses of a product.
Obviously flat nose solids are used for dangerous game. A rifle jamming may result in severe injuries or death. The ammo manufacturer knows some of that ammo will be used in poorly made marginally functional rifles.
Perhaps, however I personally would put this at a very low percentage of probability. I would be extremely prejudiced that it is more than likely the Bean Counters. From a reliable source in those days I was told that they had a couple of complaints concerning a certain model of rifle that would not feed the flat nose Barnes.... and I do mean a couple of complaints, not 10, not 20, truly two....... this made its way somehow to the bean counters, that took this as an opportunity to go backwards, to sell more bullets. Even producing a campaign with chosen PHs and Gun Writers to promote the Round Nose conspiracy. I was told that one of those complaints was some sort of rifle chambered in 9.3 caliber, and instead of going RN, they made the meplat much smaller, less than 50% of caliber, we tested those here, and honestly, a RN did much better, these were totally unstable.

That being said, I would think that those same laws would also apply to a rifle manufacturer, that touted a rifle as being a "Dangerous Game Rifle", and if it did not feed/function with all DG Bullets, then they should be held accountable as well? While I have never, and would NEVER own such a thing, I have seen them blow threw here, and Flat Nose Solids are not the only bullet they won't feed or function!

... that not all rifles will feed flat nose, or more appropriately said: truncated nose bullets, especially rifles that were tuned-up to feed round nose solids when these were the only game in town. And that includes rifles from the most prestigious makers (e.g. Holland & Holland, Rigby, Francotte, Griffin & Howe, etc.)
Whatever you prefer - and there seems to be convincing superior penetration evidence in favor of truncated nose bullets (but how much "more" do we seemingly ever want to have?) - the question "does it feed reliably in YOUR rifle" remains THE overarching factor.
So, Rifles from the "Most Prestigious" makers cannot build a Dangerous Game Rifle that can feed Dangerous Game Ammo or bullets? Even if this rifle costs $20,000 or more?

You know, if this was something that was out of reach, out of normal, almost could not be had without great tribulations and strife, then I could see a possible point. But I can buy a $2000 Winchester M70 458 Winchester and it will feed and function Flat Nose Solids, straight out of the factory box, no work, no modifications, no hassles and no worries. How is it that a Prestigious Gun Maker cannot do the same for $20,000 or more? Well, thank goodness you put in "Whatever You Prefer" in your statement, because I would prefer to have 10 Winchesters that feed/function than One of the other Prestigious rifles that does not.

I have a big Ruger Magnum that I had chambered in 510 Wells many years ago. Thing is, it won't feed Flat Nose Solids at all. I would never consider taking it to the field anyway, simply because the damn thing weighs 12 lbs.... No thanks......I suppose I could send it out so it would feed, but knowing I will never need it in the field I never bothered. Its a great rifles, shoots incredibly well, and it is a great test rifle for various .510 caliber bullets, it is also my go to rifle when I need to hammer some of these local rednecks that used to come visit and want to shoot "Big Guns", they normally don't return after I put them through a session with the 510 Wells, and yes, always from the bench... LOL..........

If you have a rifle you are determined to take to the field, and it does not say Winchester M70 Control Feed on it, then maybe you send it to a proper gunsmith that can sort it out. Chances are, if it won't feed FN Solids, there are also other issues that need to be addressed as well.

The third way...

... is to consider what I would call "semi-expanding solids" (e.g. Barnes TSX or equivalent) that perform double duty.

Emerging evidence from both professional culling and sport hunting in Africa seems to indicate that a TSX (or equivalent) penetrates as reliably an elephant skull, including from frontal shots, than any other solid, whether round or flat.

I have no such experience (culling elephants) myself, but I have yet to hear of a 500 gr TSX launched by a .458 Lott, or a 400 gr TSX launched by a full power .416 (pick your own: Rigby, Rem, Wby, etc.) failing to penetrate, and often exit, Buffalo, Elephant, Hippo skull or body.

Really? Really?.................. Emerging Evidence from Professional and Sport Hunters that TSX penetrates as reliably on elephant skulls than any other solids, round or Flat...........

This is absurd.

Can a TSX penetrate a elephant skull and get to the brain? Yes, it can....... I also have some .224 caliber bullets that can achieve the same goal, but that by no means makes it the GO TO Bullet for such activities. I once tested a 420 gr Cast performance on a side brain shot, "After Death" and it made it to the brain, and a couple of inches to the other side, did not exit. Does that make the 45/70 420 gr Cast Performance the Elephant Bullet of Choice? No, of course it does not. But, there was "Emerging Evidence that it Could".............. BS with all capitals............

In a no choice scenario, absolutely I would if I had to, caught out, and here comes Mr. Elephant...... By Choice? Stupid. Small tuskless elephants are not big bull elephants either..... All elephants are not created equal.......

Do you think if we conduct a Survey, a Poll, 10 years into the future, and we give shooters a choice for elephant Barnes TSX or Any other Flat Nose Solid, that the Barnes TSX is going to be over 90% of the chosen? I don't think so.

Don't get me wrong, I like TSX bullets......... But they are not elephant bullets.........

DSC04902-L.jpg
DSC05438-L.jpg
DSC05754-L.jpg
DSC05810-L.jpg
DSC07800-M.jpg

I suppose a TSX for Elephant is better than a spear.......... or a knife.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the Flats have it. Its a shame barnes stopped making the flat nose solids but you never know they might start again. Never mind CEB do them so I just need to get some in to the UK
I got some .458 flat point solids and matching HP Raptors from Mark at 1967Spud. They were a special order that was tagged on to his other types from CEB but came in reasonable time. Can I ask if you bought the CZ in 505 Gibbs from holts sale over the last few years? Can’t be many of those in the UK? If you did I nearly bid on that one myself but ended up with a 458 Lott instead.

None of the Buffalo, Elephant, Hippo or Rhino shot in Kruger Park seem to argue with a .375 or .458 calibre Dzombo solid. For that matter 220gr .308 Dzombo solids have dispatched many elephant cows out of a FN FAL in the park.

I’ve personally retrieved Dzombo 400gr .416 and .411 solids from buffalo and they performed flawlessly. Given the meplat technology I see no point in using a FMJ solid any longer.

Image1720181401.015729.jpg

Image1720181496.197930.jpg

Perhaps, however I personally would put this at a very low percentage of probability. I would be extremely prejudiced that it is more than likely the Bean Counters. From a reliable source in those days I was told that they had a couple of complaints concerning a certain model of rifle that would not feed the flat nose Barnes.... and I do mean a couple of complaints, not 10, not 20, truly two....... this made its way somehow to the bean counters, that took this as an opportunity to go backwards, to sell more bullets. Even producing a campaign with chosen PHs and Gun Writers to promote the Round Nose conspiracy. I was told that one of those complaints was some sort of rifle chambered in 9.3 caliber, and instead of going RN, they made the meplat much smaller, less than 50% of caliber, we tested those here, and honestly, a RN did much better, these were totally unstable.

That being said, I would think that those same laws would also apply to a rifle manufacturer, that touted a rifle as being a "Dangerous Game Rifle", and if it did not feed/function with all DG Bullets, then they should be held accountable as well? While I have never, and would NEVER own such a thing, I have seen them blow threw here, and Flat Nose Solids are not the only bullet they won't feed or function!

So, Rifles from the "Most Prestigious" makers cannot build a Dangerous Game Rifle that can feed Dangerous Game Ammo or bullets? Even if this rifle costs $20,000 or more?

You know, if this was something that was out of reach, out of normal, almost could not be had without great tribulations and strife, then I could see a possible point. But I can buy a $2000 Winchester M70 458 Winchester and it will feed and function Flat Nose Solids, straight out of the factory box, no work, no modifications, no hassles and no worries. How is it that a Prestigious Gun Maker cannot do the same for $20,000 or more? Well, thank goodness you put in "Whatever You Prefer" in your statement, because I would prefer to have 10 Winchesters that feed/function than One of the other Prestigious rifles that does not.

I have a big Ruger Magnum that I had chambered in 510 Wells many years ago. Thing is, it won't feed Flat Nose Solids at all. I would never consider taking it to the field anyway, simply because the damn thing weighs 12 lbs.... No thanks......I suppose I could send it out so it would feed, but knowing I will never need it in the field I never bothered. Its a great rifles, shoots incredibly well, and it is a great test rifle for various .510 caliber bullets, it is also my go to rifle when I need to hammer some of these local rednecks that used to come visit and want to shoot "Big Guns", they normally don't return after I put them through a session with the 510 Wells, and yes, always from the bench... LOL..........

If you have a rifle you are determined to take to the field, and it does not say Winchester M70 Control Feed on it, then maybe you send it to a proper gunsmith that can sort it out. Chances are, if it won't feed FN Solids, there are also other issues that need to be addressed as well.

Really? Really?.................. Emerging Evidence from Professional and Sport Hunters that TSX penetrates as reliably on elephant skulls than any other solids, round or Flat...........

This is absurd.

Can a TSX penetrate a elephant skull and get to the brain? Yes, it can....... I also have some .224 caliber bullets that can achieve the same goal, but that by no means makes it the GO TO Bullet for such activities. I once tested a 420 gr Cast performance on a side brain shot, "After Death" and it made it to the brain, and a couple of inches to the other side, did not exit. Does that make the 45/70 420 gr Cast Performance the Elephant Bullet of Choice? No, of course it does not. But, there was "Emerging Evidence that it Could".............. BS with all capitals............

In a no choice scenario, absolutely I would if I had to, caught out, and here comes Mr. Elephant...... By Choice? Stupid. Small tuskless elephants are not big bull elephants either..... All elephants are not created equal.......

Do you think if we conduct a Survey, a Poll, 10 years into the future, and we give shooters a choice for elephant Barnes TSX or Any other Flat Nose Solid, that the Barnes TSX is going to be over 90% of the chosen? I don't think so.

Don't get me wrong, I like TSX bullets......... But they are not elephant bullets.........

DSC04902-L.jpg

DSC05810-L.jpg

DSC05438-L.jpg

DSC05754-L.jpg

DSC07800-M.jpg

I suppose a TSX for Elephant is better than a spear.......... or a knife.
Fully agree TSX on elephant is a well.....stupid idea to say the least....I wonder who these so called professionals are......

Now a meplat solid monometal(brass in my case) with a 65 to70% meplat with an sd of about .330 at anywhere from 2200 to 2400 fps is the best for straight line penetration on DG......
My humble opinion.....
So 375 H&H 340gr
404 Jeff 420gr
416 410gr
458 500gr
510 600gr
And so forth.....

It looks like you may have misinterpreted the most important part of the statement ;)

I did not say that "the "Most Prestigious" makers cannot build a Dangerous Game Rifle that can feed Dangerous Game Ammo or bullets". This would be caricatural, of course they can!

I said "especially rifles that were tuned-up to feed round nose solids when these were the only game in town. And that includes rifles from the most prestigious makers". It seems obvious that I was referring to rifles built before flat nose bullets existed, and there are plenty such rifle in existence, and in use today, as I am sure you agree.

As I am sure you also agree, the tune-up of the feeding ramp and feeding rails is not the same, for the simple reason that truncated bullets can catch and stop on the upper square face of the barrel breach and/or front action bridge, which the round nose bullets did not. Beside, your post clearly confirms potential feeding issue...

As to whether a rifle can go back to a gunsmith for tune-up with different ammo, of course it can, but this is of little value to folks who discover in camp that their rifle does not feed their new ammo, and yes that too happens ... and more often than common sense would suggest ;)

So, all semantics aside, I will stick to my bottom line point: "this cannot be guessed, it has to be tried." I am willing to wager that you agree with me on this too :)

This is absurd.

Fully agree TSX on elephant is a well.....stupid idea to say the least....I wonder who these so called professionals are......

Well......... thank you for the constructive feedback :E Rofl:

But let us try to remain civil ;)

Now, I seem to remember that only a decade back, it was considered "absurd" or "stupid" to hunt Buffalo with anything but solids. Right? I am sure you remember that too, don't you?

It seems that nowadays with the better-penetrating monolithic bullets, the new wisdom is to absolutely avoid solids on Buffalo in order to not punch a second animal behind the one targeted. And even the TSX need to be used with caution on broadside shots because they invariably exit a Buff.

Why do you think that would be different with an Elephant?

I can think of few better bullets than a TSX (or equivalent) for an elephant behind-the-shoulder body shot, which remains a very deadly shot even if less "sexy" than the fabled brain shot ... that a lot of clients attempt and fumble...

For elephant as for about anything else, a TSX through both lungs is a much more effective medicine than a solid through both lungs. I would think that you will agree to that, right?

And if the brain shot presents itself, as you concede yourself, the TSX will do it just fine...

So, what is the problem and what in the above is absurd or stupid? Pray do explain :)

Of course if your goal - which is perfectly OK with me - is to have a bullet exit the anus after entering the trunk, then a solid is indeed better, and a truncated one is indeed even better, but I reckon that the elephant is dead by the time the bullet hits the brain, and plowing through 5 meters of elephant after that is somewhat irrelevant.

Sure, "solids only for elephant" remains the conventional wisdom, and I agree that it still applies if your soft is a AFrame or a Woodleigh, but those new monolithic bullets seem to progressively rewrite the book...

As to what pros use TSX to cull elephant, I just read a post about this right here on AH last week. I need to go back and find it in the AH maze, but if memory serves it was in Botswana. I hope to find it and re-post it in this thread...

Last edited:

I have no such experience (culling elephants) myself....

I would really like to know who these professional culling dudes are who are using TSX to cull elephant, including frontal brain shots......

As well as who the sport hunters and the PH who are allowing clients to use TSX on elephant for frontal brain shots......

Crazyist thing I have heard for a long time......

Last edited by a moderator:

This is absurd.

I would really like to know who these professional culling dudes are who are using TSX to cull elephant, including frontal brain shots......

Crazyist thing I have heard for a long time......

Here you go my dear friends:

1720211190825.png

Needless to say that Lon at Tokoloshe Safaris is as real as it gets and that I would be more than careful about challenging his credibility ;)

As to whether the "expert PH" he refers to, is a "stupid" or "absurd" "dude", I again would be very, very careful about that. Actual licensed PH who actually guide client-hunts, other than taking their kids shoot a pig or an impala (great family pics by the way IvW), tend to be a lot more experienced than pretend-PH who just patronize on the internet ;)

As to me, I shall happily take Lon's word for it, and give it due weight.

Now does that mean that the TSX is the ideal solid to perforate an elephant from trunk to tail? The answer is obviously no. But does that mean that the TSX is "stupid" or "absurd" for a client, who likely should try to get a reliable double-lung shot before chancing a brain shot, well, each will decide for their own...........................................................

PS: pardon my faulty memory, I said previously that I thought that I remembered Botswana, but it seems that it was Zimbabwe.

Last edited:
Here you go my dear friends:

View attachment 617959

Needless to say that Lon at Tokoloshe Safaris is as real as it gets and that I would be more than careful about challenging his credibility ;)

As to whether the "expert PH" he refers to, is a "stupid" or "absurd" "dude", I again would be very, very careful about that. Actual licensed PH who actually guide client-hunts, other than taking their kids shoot a pig or an impala (great family pics by the way IvW), tend to be a lot more experienced than pretend-PH who just patronize on the internet ;)

As to me, I shall happily take Lon's word for it, and give it due weight.

Now does that mean that the TSX is the ideal solid to perforate an elephant from trunk to tail? The answer is obviously no. But does that mean that the TSX is "stupid" or "absurd" for a client, who likely should try to get a reliable double-lung shot before chancing a brain shot, well, each will decide for their own...........................................................

PS: pardon my faulty memory, I said previously that I thought that I remembered Botswana, but it seems that it was Zimbabwe.
He also says later in that thread that he was reluctant to make that post, and didn’t recommend the practice himself. I’ve had excellent results with Barnes TSX myself, but I don’t think I’d feel comfortable hunting elephant with them, knowing that there are much better choices. I agree, based on what I’ve seen them do to Buffalo, that they would probably work on body shots, if no heavy leg or shoulder bones were encountered , but I wouldn’t want any expansion whatsoever if that were the case. I’d prefer a bullet that would whistle right on through anything it encountered on the way to the vitals.

I got some .458 flat point solids and matching HP Raptors from Mark at 1967Spud. They were a special order that was tagged on to his other types from CEB but came in reasonable time. Can I ask if you bought the CZ in 505 Gibbs from holts sale over the last few years? Can’t be many of those in the UK? If you did I nearly bid on that one myself but ended up with a 458 Lott instead.
Yep. That CZ now sits in my cabinet. You're right not many of them in the UK. I might have a chat with Mark and see what he has, failing that I should be in the USA in Jan for the DSC

He also says later in that thread that he was reluctant to make that post, and didn’t recommend the practice himself. I’ve had excellent results with Barnes TSX myself, but I don’t think I’d feel comfortable hunting elephant with them, knowing that there are much better choices. I agree, based on what I’ve seen them do to Buffalo, that they would probably work on body shots, if no heavy leg or shoulder bones were encountered , but I wouldn’t want any expansion whatsoever if that were the case. I’d prefer a bullet that would whistle right on through anything it encountered on the way to the vitals.

I generally agree Toby. I guess that my perspective includes the fact that I do not believe that it is wise to pre-condition first-time elephant hunters to think that the only shot on elephant is the brain shot. That was fine for Walter Dalrymple Maitland Bell but his expertise and practice had nothing in common with the expertise and practice, or lack thereof, of the average modern elephant first-time, or few times, hunter, myself included.

I should have been more specific that I was speaking from the perspective of double-lung/heart body first shot, with the brain shot only a chance opportunity for a best case scenario: an animal immobile facing the right way at the right distance.

From this perspective, I believe that a 500 gr .458 TSX is likely the best medicine - because it does a lot more damage in the vitals than a solid, followed in the magazine or the second barrel by a solid. I was suggesting to "consider" a TSX, not to abandon the solid :)

All of which can be a respectful and rational discussion, as we are having, without the need for the name calling, especially since what I was saying "Emerging evidence from both professional culling and sport hunting in Africa seems to indicate that a TSX (or equivalent) penetrates as reliably an elephant skull, including from frontal shots, than any other solid, whether round or flat" is factual ;)

Last edited:
As to whether a rifle can go back to a gunsmith for tune-up with different ammo, of course it can, but this is of little value to folks who discover in camp that their rifle does not feed their new ammo, and yes that too happens ... and more often than common sense would suggest ;)

So, all semantics aside, I will stick to my bottom line point: "this cannot be guessed, it has to be tried." I am willing to wager that you agree with me on this too
Before I retired from hunting, I would fire from 300-500 rounds through the rifles I was planning to work with as normal operating preparing all aspects of the rifle, sights, bullet. Every session would involve full magazine, and full operation of the bolt or other mechanisms to make sure everything was in order.

It is astounding to me that a hunter would go to the field and the first time he tries his rifle is when he arrives in camp? I truly would have never in my life thought such was possible. But it is indeed true, that on occasion a "Goober" will show up and the PH has to sight his rifle in, the The Goober has not shot it, fired it, maybe even purchased his ammo from the Walmart..... maybe even has no idea what bullet he is shooting, or is being shot in his rifle......... But Goober paid his money, so the PH is stuck.

In a case like this, it just plain does not matter anyway, what bullet or rifle he is shooting or trying to shoot, the PH is going to do his best to show Goober a good time and a big adventure, and if all are lucky none of them will be killed or maimed.

I do not speak to Goobers. I speak to hunters, that I would hope would later become shooters. I speak to those that desire to learn and prepare for their adventure, and to take the best most reliable equipment and bullet tech available. I speak to those that desire to be the best on their endeavor, and that are willing to put in the time and effort to be successful. Goobers are just of no consequence and I refuse to waste time on them. Goober really does not belong in the field, and is an embarrassment to real hunters, and even more so to shooters. A lack of good genetics I suppose.

A shooter will make sure his rifle will feed and function with the best bullet tech for the mission at hand, regardless of whether its a $500 rifle or a $20,000 Rifle. A shooter will spend the time on the range testing all aspects of his equipment, he will know his bullet and how it performs, its limitations, and what can be expected of it. He will become familiar with his rifle, he will learn to shoot it effectively and efficiently. A shooter will have put the time and effort in to attempt to identify any issues ahead of time. A shooter once in the field, even if he experiences an issue unforeseen will have the ability to overcome the issue and complete the mission at hand.

Don't be a Goober...................

And if the brain shot presents itself, as you concede yourself, the TSX will do it just fine...

No, that is just not exactly true.......... There is a big difference between "Will do just Fine" and
"It Can"........... I concede only that in the very best of circumstances that a TSX "Can", I also stated that I had .224 caliber bullets that "Can"......... I also stated I had tested a 420 Cast Performance on an elephant head and it did, but just barely, and did not even exit side brain....... Can means possible, and many things are possible and many things would qualify as an Anomaly and far from the normal.
You misrepresent my statement. And, on my part, I should have stated as well, that "It Can under some perfect circumstances", I left you too much room to play word salad. My faul
lso have some .224 caliber bullets that can achieve the same goal, but that by no means makes it the GO TO Bullet for such activities. I once tested a 420 gr Cast performance on a side brain shot, "After Death" and it made it to the brain, and a couple of inches to the other side, did not exit. Does that make the 45/70 420 gr Cast Performance the Elephant Bullet of Choice? No, of course it does not.

So, what is the problem and what in the above is absurd or stupid? Pray do explain
The problem dear fellow is a simple matter of "Penetration".......... one is not always presented the "Perfect Shot" No expanding premium bullet, No 1st Generation or even 2cd Generation Trauma Inflicting CNC bullet can be counted on to get the amount of penetration and bone crunching that may be required on elephant. 1st and 2cd Gen CNC Trauma bullets such as Hammers, Maximus and Raptors nearly double the penetration in animal tissue over a TSX, but I personally would not count on that when life and limb might be on the line. Yes, I repeat over and over, it is Absurd to even consider this on elephant. However, if YOU believe in this concept, you may very well get away with it on your next elephant...... Especially considering your PH will take care of things if the S**T hits the fan, your PH will be loaded with SOLIDS..........

And, lets take a closer look at "Your Emerging Evidence from Professional Culling and sport hunting" Statement.........

I have hesitated writing this.

Recently 12 big bull elephant had to be destroyed, they had been badly burned in a fire.

A expertt PH was chosen to do the job. Caliber .458Lott bullet Barnes TSX all brain shots. Front or side shot one shot kills

I briefed through this thread and I did not find anymore information concerning this statement or shedding any light on the circumstances of it. I am quite sure that "Badly Burned" called for some emergency proceedures to dispatch, I can imagine all sorts of possibilities here as to bullet choices in an emergency situation, even to the possible point of using what you have with you? Or other possible scenarios, since nothing was explained further. I saw zero mention of "Sport Hunters" using TSX for elephant, and I saw no PH's that recommended using TSX on elephant. Now, I could have missed that somewhere, as stated I only briefed, if I did not see elephant, I did not give the post much concern......

Needless to say that Lon at @Tokoloshe Safaris is as real as it gets and that I would be more than careful about challenging his credibility
As to whether the "expert PH" he refers to, is a "stupid" or "absurd" "dude", I again would be very, very careful about that.

I can most certianly guarantee you that I myself have zero issues with calling out a PH that would recomment a Goober Client to use Barnes TSX, or any other expanding premium exclusively for elephant.... Yes I absolutely would and I would do it to his face as well......... PH.... Professional Hunter........ Any thing else is assumed only by the inexperienced shooters. Oh yes, I would have no qualms at all. I would say to their face....... "Absurd".........

But here is where you mislead once again in attempt to achieve your goals for using TSX.........

Here is what Lon at Tokoloshe said in the only other post I saw him make on this matter, in that thread...................

I hesitated mentioning, because Itcertainly would not be a practice I would recommend. Note, I was not present.
I repeat....... "Because it certainly would not be a practice I would recommend"

No experienced Elephant hunting PH would make that recommendation, end of story......

There is "No emerging Evidence"....... there is no recommendations made..........

You speak of double lung shot.... as I understand elephant lungs are attached, they do not collaspe when you poke holes in them. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this to be true. A poke with a TSX is not going to be quite as devasting as you might think. And a poke through the lungs is not like a poke in the heart......... a lung shot elephant can do a lot of damage before giving up. I know this, as I have experienced it on one particular elephant. It was a mistake on my part, an angled shot that I thought would hit the heart, but I only caught the lungs. I ended up dispatching that elephant at the end of the barrel while on my back, pointed up into the chest of the elephant.... a 500 gr 500 caliber #13 Solid at 2400 fps busted the heart on that elephant, and I was just lucky he turned 90degrees before coming down.

This is what a proper designed FN Solid does to the heart......

DSC03465-X2.jpg

DSC03466-X2.jpg

The last elephant I shot in 2013 was another heart shot..... this was a nice bull elephant, we had made our way to 12 steps in front of him without being winded or seen, on one knee I was setting up for the perfect frontal brain shot, when the wind shifted and he started running from left to right in front of me, I dropped to the heart shot and was able to get two rounds off before he disappeared in the brush, we found him 25 yards in down and out. This was a 458 B&M 18 inch gun shooting a 450 gr CEB #13 Solid at 2200 fps, it fully penetrated and exited.

S1120016aa-L.jpg

This elephant was a crop raider, and the second one taken on this trip. This was 2007, The first elephant was a classic Frontal Brain shot, and it was down and over executed properly. The second elephant was in the bottom of a dry river bed, about 25-30 yards out. Now, keep in mind, this is night time, it is dark..... The two PHs that are with me have a early Gen 1 or 2 night vision, they are doing the hunting. I am the shooter, I did not want the night vision to interfere with my vision when the lights came on....... they are directing me to where the elephants are, there are about 4-5 there. They tell me the location and how it is standing, when the light comes on, I have about 2 seconds to find my target and get the shot off. Lights come on, I find the target, presented only a heart shot, so I take it..... I am shooting a 50 B&M and a 510 gr JD/Lehigh Custom FN Solid at 2100 fps, at the first shot the elephant nearly goes down on his knees, but gathers himself up and I am looking to the rear of the elephant, I have about a 4-5 foot elevation advantage, so I am lookind down on him as he is running away, second shot goes in the top of the back and downward to the chest (next day after retrieving the heart we found two bullet holes, one from the angled side shot and the other from the rear, which would have been the second shot fired) The third shot hit another foot to the rear, this bullet was found in the chest cavity after traveling 7+ feet of elephant. The first shot of course exited, hitting the heart from the side, the second shot fired also exited the frontal chest after traveling 6+ feet or so and blowing a hole through the heart from the rear.........

i-954rxF2-X2.jpg

i-KXzFJ5v-X2.jpg

DSC02903-L.jpg

This elephant only went about 30-40 yards before going down for good...........I have only brain shot two of my elephants, the rest were heart with the exception of one elephant I had to play backup to my friend with. We were close, around 12-15 steps, he tried frontal brain and missed, I stepped up from behind him and by that time the elephant had turned completely and I was looking at the root of his tail, I had read that this shot would take an elephant down, just up about 6 inches maybe more and it was spine, I took the shot and the elephant immediately dropped and I let my friend finish it from there.

In earlier years I had shot a few elephant all with Round Nose Barnes Solids....... Yes, they were, and they are still dead, but there is a big difference in RN and FN doing damage and hitting hard up front, RN does very little of either...... Poking holes is about all.

I guess that my perspective includes the fact that I do not believe that it is wise to pre-condition first-time elephant hunters to think that the only shot on elephant is the brain shot. That was fine for Walter Dalrymple Maitland Bell but his expertise and practice had nothing in common with the expertise and practice, or lack thereof, of the average modern elephant first-time, or few times, hunter, myself included.
@One Day... On this point we are in full agreement 100%. It is foolish to consider only a brain shot, and comes more from "Nostalgia" and over reading African Books. I have only shot 10 elephant, only two of those were brain shots, one side brain and one frontal. My son took an elephant with a side brain. The rest have been heart shots, with an exception or two....... One should take the shot given at the moment. A heart shot elephant will not go far, especially with a proper designed FN Solid.

No, I would not use any expanding, or trauma inflicting bullet on elephant....... there is just too much possibility that things won't go perfect........ But then, your PH will have your back with his Rifle loaded with Solids......... so do as you please, and best of luck to you in your endeavors. Only a well designed FN Solid can solve most issues and problems when the crap hits the fan..........

If my memory serves correctly, Barnes did not stop production of their monolithic flat point solid because of feeding issues in some rifles. It was a decision forced on them by US/BATF/DOJ injunction or by threat from same because of the “Cop Killer Bullet” craze that swept trough those agencies, the media and the judicial at that time. The Cop Killer Bullet label was attached to their FP monolithic. The stories about other reasons for Barnes quitting FP monolithic production seem made up by third parties and those stories have taken on a life of their own.

As an aside, I wouldn’t trust any repeating/bolt hunting rifle that won’t reliably and smoothly feed/cycle FP bullets with any % meplat. My Montana ‘99 bolt and all my Win 70s feed and cycle any profile bullet including empty cases!! equally well.

I chuckled when I read, “Goober”.

My Big Bore bolt guns have all been Mod 70's so I have never had a problem with CEB Safari bullets .... When I had my 505 Gibbs built using a Granite Mt Action the Gunsmith asked for dummy rounds I gave him 4 rounds loaded with 525gr #13 Solids so there would not be a question

Yep. That CZ now sits in my cabinet. You're right not many of them in the UK. I might have a chat with Mark and see what he has, failing that I should be in the USA in Jan for the DSC
Brilliant, I’m glad it ended up with a good home! Was a nice and unusual lot. I think Henry Kranks have Bertram cases in 505 Gibbs

For DG, I've switched over to flat nose solids with excellent results. I think they penetrate further and straighter. They certainly sound different when hitting game...big slap sounds and dust coming off the animal very visibly. My PHs love the results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungR7748

Latest profile posts

We have been very busy hunting! Lots of pictures and videos in process!

expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Total con artist! Bradley Joseph Clemens!
expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Regarding Senga Senga. Brad Clemens. Do your research with him. He owes people money…took deposits, no hunt! Two words, for anyone who wants to hire him…..background check. His character shows and this character follows every aspect of his life. Not to be trusted at all!
Grandpa Moose wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Thanks for the advice/help. Hope the kids get a good plug from my mis post. Rain like crazy here