First Safari - I’ll hunt plains game - What caliber?

I’ve read every major ballistics book and paper. I love the stuff.

Energy doesn’t kill an animal IMO. Tissue damage kills an animal. Modern bullets cause more tissue damage than older ones.

Only time energy matters at all is withe dangerous game.

If a bullet passes through then most of the energy is given to the dirt or tree or whatever on the other side.

Give me a smaller caliber faster fragmenting bullet any day of the week.

Go read the “223 for deer, bear, elk” thread on another site. Just google what I have in parentheses and read 100’s of examples.

Individual experience is tricky. You could have been doing the wrong thing your whole life, not know it, but think it’s the right thing. You have to look at data from multiple sources to actually get the full picture.
@Daisy
I may have been doing the wrong thing for most of my life by your standards but a shit ton of dead animals would tend to disagree with you.
Have you ever seen the energy dump out of a medium bore like the 35 Whelen with a big 250 grain round nose. The whole animal shudders the internals are destroyed and there's a hole out the other side. Works for me.
Don't start me on smaller calibres I've shot enough game with a very fast 25 cal ( read 100 gn monos and old cup and core ) at over 3,600fps. Yes the internal devastation can be massive, more so with frangible bullets than monos but both result in dead animal.
All animals react differently, to different shots. No two are the same.
I'm not here to start a pissing contest but game dies when hit with the correct bullet in the correct place if the calibre is sufficient.
I don't know to many HUNTERS that take the time to wait for an animal to present a perfect head shot or chest shot so they can slip a bullet into the spot to kill the animal.
HUNTERS I know use enough gun to get the job done even when the shot isn't ideal and a bullet may have to pace thru a paunch to reach the vitals or smash major bones to penetrate an animal.
I don't really care if'n y'all shoot deer, bear or elk with a 223 but what happens when it doesn't work. One wounded animal to suffer. Theres a reason why there's recommended calibres for different game.
Sorry I'll just keep doing the wrong thing for the rest of my life and use enough ( sometimes to much) gun for my hunting and continue to happily harvest game with said guns.
Bob

Please. You haven’t hunted much if you haven’t had an animal run after shooting it. Sometimes they drop instantly. Sometimes they won’t. Anyone here being honest would verify that.
I’ve seen a lot of shit shot in my life. The bigger you go on caliber the lower the average number of steps after impact they take even on marginal and non vital/cns shots. There are calibers which almost always sit them down instantly but most don’t hunt with them.

What does hunting elephants have to do with plains game hunting?

Humor usually hides poor arguments
@Daisy
You find more elephants on the plains than on mountains or in the sky. So this old fart would consider them plains game. Be it big and some times dangerous they is still plains game.
Ha Ha Ha Ha
Bob

Where can this be found?
@mark-hunter
1000003815.png

That's the website mate.
Maybe @Daisy could read it and stop believing in the tooth fairy, Santa Claus and YouTube.
Real world results from real world research by real people. Not you tube and other advertising garbage.
Bob ob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SharynNova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles