First Safari - I’ll hunt plains game - What caliber?

Did you end up picking a caliber yet? Hahaha. Lots of votes. My vote would be for the 308 in a 165-175 grain all copper Barnes or a quality bonded bullet.

With the 308 you aren't giving up much power over the 30-06, but it is a decent bit less recoil.

I disagree with some opinions that a 30-06 is so much better suited to things like wildebeest, zebra, gemsbok, eland. Again, you aren't losing much by going to the 308. So anything people consider sufficient for 30-06 is essentially equally sufficient for 308.

Obviously opinions differ on this and anything caliber related, but these are mine.

You may know that I’m here with it again… 3rd tour… Lots of animals in the salt now. More pictures will be posted soon, along with my hunting report. Tonight is my last night. Setting in the blind for Serval with the SAKO .375H&H right now because my PH was irritated that I was shooting too many .243 rounds (which he knows I intend to give him the remainder of) on PG, warthog, and Jackal. A big badger was dispatched 2 nights ago with the .243

User discretion may apply…

Damn!!!...Oops...I hit Love on your thread....[Although I too like the .243 for certain species].

By mistake. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Just in case @Bob Nelson 35Whelen reads this.

I'm considering a trip to OZ and don't want to be in fear of a loud wiz of a 35 Whelen clipping my ear when I arrive. :E Rofl: the good use for a .243 is as a tomato stick.

Now to read your hunt report and see your photos of the animals of your latest hunt.

Planning my first African hunt.
It’s plains game this trip. It’s either a .338 Win Mag or .375 Ruger for me but of your choices I’d go with the 30-06.

Spend a lot of time shooting and then spend some more time shooting before you go. I use the .338 Win Mag for everything in the lower 48 and stepped up to the .375 Ruger for Alaska. It’s now my one and done rifle for anything in North America.

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor and it’s great for range practice with a lower recoiling rifle. I bought it because I lost my 6.5 X 284 in the bankruptcy. Spend a lot of time at the range and NOT shooting off the bench. Learn to read the wind. Know how your rifle shoots with a cold barrel and how your group will shift with a warm barrel.

There is no replacement for range time. Shoot in the rain. Shoot in the wind. Know how your rifle reacts in varying conditions. I prefer one rifle for everything over multiple rifles. Know your rifle better than your sexual partner.
@Neophyte
It's a crap rifle that won't group the same whether the barrel is cold or warm.
My Whelen shoots a ten shot string with different bullet weights into a 1.5" group at 100 yards
The exception is the 310gn that shoots spot on at the same distance.
Know your rifle and cartridge capabilities.
Bob
a539f4ff-3ed8-4967-89a6-4437c43f60ca-1_all_357.jpg
target with bullet weights from 209 to 275 grains.
Bullet near the centre bull is the 310 gn Woodleigh. Target shot starting with a cold barrel and at the finish it was to warn to touch.
1000003791.png

The cartridges used for the above group
Rifle Savage/Stevens 110 in 35 Whelen.
Bob

It’s been so long I forgot the original question…..
Don’t use a 243, they are gay…..6-08 is a better cartridge……
(wait for it)
The only advantage a 30-06 has over a 308 is the ability to throw a heavier pill at your target. I would work out what you want to shoot (animals), pick a calibre and projectiles to suit that game and then get a rifle in that calibre and practice
I’ve shot goats with a 17fireball and 20gn pills (longest shot was about 150yards), would I recommend it, no, but each was head shot and I was comfortable with that gun, now I use my 308…for most things from cats(domestic feral) to red deer. And as much as I hate to say it, the 35 whelan is a good choice also, can be downloaded or full power, I personally would use my 8x68S as I would like to have something with some grunt incase something with big teeth decided to become intimate
Gumpy

For the Eastern Cape, use something flat that will stretch out, and know where it hits to 300m at a minimum.

The '06 from your list for sure. And a 300WM or 7mmRM would be even better. ;)

@Neophyte
It's a crap rifle that won't group the same whether the barrel is cold or warm.
My Whelen shoots a ten shot string with different bullet weights into a 1.5" group at 100 yards
The exception is the 310gn that shoots spot on at the same distance.
Know your rifle and cartridge capabilities.
Bob
View attachment 633266target with bullet weights from 209 to 275 grains.
Bullet near the centre bull is the 310 gn Woodleigh. Target shot starting with a cold barrel and at the finish it was to warn to touch.View attachment 633267
The cartridges used for the above group
Rifle Savage/Stevens 110 in 35 Whelen.
Bob
Some rifles, especially off the shelf older rifles, tend to have a wandering zero when they get warm.

Better the OP knows if this is a trait of his rifle before he goes over there.

Damn!!!...Oops...I hit Love on your thread....[Although I too like the .243 for certain species].

I'm considering a trip to OZ and don't want to be in fear of a loud wiz of a 35 Whelen clipping my ear when I arrive. :E Rofl: the good use for a .243 is as a tomato stick.

Now to read your hunt report and see your photos of the animals of your latest hunt.
@Ridge Runner
Yes the 243 is fine for some species as long as it's not bigger than a field mouse.
You are forgiven for owning one as you have a multitude of others that are better
I know you just had to try it to find out it's not worth owning that horrible little noise maker.
Bob

@Ridge Runner
When you get to Oz if you have a 243 I won't clip your ears with a Whelen. To messy. I will just wait until you bend over to pick something up. My 35 is that accurate they wouldn't even see the bullet hole.
When you get here just drop by and I will lend you my Whelen or 25 with pleasure. You will also get a lesson on Bundy drinking and a taste of Vegemite. My door is open to you. If'n I ain't home just kick it in.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keysup

Latest profile posts

Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better