First Safari - I’ll hunt plains game - What caliber?

I missed the "lowest recoiling" part...change to 308...(unless you wear a man bun...)

30.06 is the obvious choice. You might look at the 7PRC as well. Just purchase quality bullets, exercise, and shoot whatever caliber you choose a lot. Please be sure to give a hunt report!
Not as well as a 35 Whelen or a 9.3x62.

Not as well as a 35 Whelen or a 9.3x62.
Sure, I just don’t think the caliber matters as much as being a good shot and in shape. I would rather be the best shot in the country and use a 22.250 to hunt whitetails than be shit and use a 500NE. Just pick one that has decent ballistics and go practice far more than you think necessary.

Apologies, my opinion might not have been clear in my first post.

.243 for plains game up to Roan and .375H&H for Tiny Ten and Small cats!

Most are giving very succinct advice. Become the best shot you can with either the 30-06 or 308. I like Barnes Bullets because they have served me well. Knowing how your rifle shoots, aided by good shot placement, is paramount. If you flinch, cant your rifle, yank the trigger, rush a shot, compromise due to duress, the largest caliber or most powerful will not bail you out.

I love the idea of being lucky, and the more I practice, the luckier I get…

A "raking shot" that might actually strike the rear leg may not make it all the way into the boiler room if it comes from a smaller, lighter caliber. Or a strike from say a.243 on a heavy shoulder bone may not penetrate to the heart/lungs of a kudu sized animal. A .300 Win Mag with 180 or 200:grains surely will.

Having said that, you are right that a broken leg doesn't much matter if the rifle is a .22-250 or a .458 Lott. Same with a broadside gut shot.
Thanks. I agree with you.

Bad shots don’t often work with any caliber.

A millimeter more is diameter doesn’t kill any better. Often worse.

Like many have said making a good shot is the most important.

On my first hunting trip to Africa I chose the rifle I was most comfortable and proficient with instead of more power, a 308 with a 165gr Federal Trophy Bonded Tip bullet at 2680fps. Between one of my sons and I we took 13 trophies with that rifle. Kudu, Wildebeest, Zebra, Waterbuck down to Springbok. 60-310 yards all clean one shot kills, never put our tracker to work.

So a .308 will get it done, but I still don't think its ideal for larger plains game. None of our bullets managed to exit the larger animals, little or no blood on the ground in a few cases. So since my focus has shifted from local game to Africa I have also changed what I practice with and carry in the woods most of the time. For my up coming plains game hunt I am taking a .338-06AI pushing a 186gr Hammer bullet at 3127. I may take a second rifle, if i do it will be in .35 Whelen, 245gr Hammer at 2800fps.

Exactly! A shot in.the right place is almost b always more effective with a larger, heavier bullet than lighter, slower bullet.
I disagree fully here. That’s where bullet selection comes into play.

Also it’s proven that smaller calibers are put into the right place more often than a larger caliber.

Less rexoil
Much much more practice

.243 for plains game up to Roan and .375H&H for Tiny Ten and Small cats!

Most are giving very succinct advice. Become the best shot you can with either the 30-06 or 308. I like Barnes Bullets because they have served me well. Knowing how your rifle shoots, aided by good shot placement, is paramount. If you flinch, cant your rifle, yank the trigger, rush a shot, compromise due to duress, the largest caliber or most powerful will not bail you out.

I love the idea of being lucky, and the more I practice, the luckier I get…

:A Naughty::A Stirring::A Popcorn::D Pop Popcorn::D Barman::D Beer Draft:

Oh man...Come on....(I couldnt resist Sleepy Joe)
Here we go again.:A Yell::E Rofl:

You just couldn't resist giving that "tomato stake" .243 cartridge a plug.

Knowing @Bob Nelson 35Whelen has and will chime back in to tell @Dessert_Eagle he needs a proper caliber and a proper bullet and plenty of range practice shooting off sticks.

We all know 30-06 and 375H&H are kings for PG anything else.....pure fairy tails (Yes! I meant tails not tales). Duh. IYKYK. LMFAOAT.

:A Naughty::A Stirring::A Popcorn::D Pop Popcorn::D Barman::D Beer Draft:

Oh man...Come on....(I couldnt resist Sleepy Joe)
Here we go again.:A Yell::E Rofl:

You just couldn't resist giving that "tomato stake" .243 cartridge a plug.

Knowing @Bob Nelson 35Whelen has and will chime back in to tell @Dessert_Eagle he needs a proper caliber and a proper bullet and plenty of range practice shooting off sticks.

We all know 30-06 and 375H&H are kings for PG anything else.....pure fairy tails (Yes! I meant tails not tales). Duh. IYKYK. LMFAOAT.
You may know that I’m here with it again… 3rd tour… Lots of animals in the salt now. More pictures will be posted soon, along with my hunting report. Tonight is my last night. Setting in the blind for Serval with the SAKO .375H&H right now because my PH was irritated that I was shooting too many .243 rounds (which he knows I intend to give him the remainder of) on PG, warthog, and Jackal. A big badger was dispatched 2 nights ago with the .243

User discretion may apply…

I disagree fully here. That’s where bullet selection comes into play.

Also it’s proven that smaller calibers are put into the right place more often than a larger caliber.

Less rexoil
Much much more practice
Proven? By who? Using comparable bullets, a .243 is never going to be as effective as a .300:Win Mag on large animals. Unless you just can't shoot the bigger rifle, in which case you need more practice. A shot in the right place is always the !most important thing, but it is not the only thing.

Proven? By who? Using comparable bullets, a .243 is never going to be as effective as a .300:Win Mag on large animals. Unless you just can't shoot the bigger rifle, in which case you need more practice. A shot in the right place is always the !most important thing, but it is not the only thing.
Exactly.......
Also not legal for the stated species.......

After you decide which caliber to get. Make sure you pick up a set of shooting sticks, and practice with them. I would suggest asking the PH what kind of shooting sticks they have, and I would consider taking the ones you've practice with.

In 2022 I went to the Eastern Cape and practiced with a set of Rudolph quad shooting sticks. I practiced and took those sticks with me. I ended up giving them to my PH. Best set of shooting sticks for the money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristalCon

Latest profile posts

Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better