First Safari - I’ll hunt plains game - What caliber?

Dessert_Eagle

Reaction score
Hi,

I booked my first Safari which will be in the Eastern Cape of South Africa in 2026. I will hunt Kudu, Blue Wildebeest, Blesbluk, Springbuk, and Impala.

I might add Sable and Gemsbuk/Oryx. Maybe in the far future I’d look at Zebra, but likely not this trip.

For this trip, I would like to buy a nice bolt action rifle such as the Anchutz 1782 D, which comes in 6.5 Creedmoor, .308, and 30-06. What is the lowest recoiling caliber of this bunch that you would find suitable for the trip?

I would like to bring something adequate but not unnecessarily powerful (to the extent there is flexibility).

Thank you!

If those are your choices, definitely go with the .30-06. The .308 will also work. I’ve hunted Africa with a 6.5 GAP SAUM and it was a bit underpowered in my opinion.

30/06 as a first choice then 308 as second choice. Every PH would be happy to see those calibers. There are also a lot of good ammo choices with quality hunting bullets available. The 6.5 is light for the bigger plains game like kudu. The ammo selection is also geared much more towards target shooting than hunting with the 6.5 creedmoor.

Attachments

• Sako S20 Hunter .30-06 Sprg 24%22 5:8%22-24 Bbl Roughtech Green Rifle JRS20HRG320 For Sale - E...pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
I'd start by looking at the live weights of your target animals. The largest (bulls/stallions, sometimes cows) will average between 400 - 500 lbs, perhaps up to 600 lbs. Figure out the bullet types and minimum bullet weights you want to be smacking the vitals and bone structures of those size animals. Those consideration will direct you towards a set of calibers and cartridges to choose from.

Oh, yea - and have one heck of a good time!

Blue Wildebeest are notoriously tough if their adrenaline is up, that and the possibility of Zebra would point me to the 30-06.

My blue wildebeest bull tipped over instantly with 30-06 165 gr Partition.
2019-08-23 wildebeest.JPG

Same with this black wildebeest. Both shot at 100 yards.
20220821_094540.jpg

Pick a gun with a bit of weight, e.g. eight lbs, and you won't notice the recoil.

The first answer is whichever you shoot the best. A .243 in the right place trumps a .375 H&H in the wrong place every day of the week.

That said, I'd favor a .300 something. .30-06 is fine. .308 is fine for most everything but it's a bit light for eland and zebra. .300 Win/Wby is the sweet spot for me. The vast majority of my African PG hunting has been done with a .300 Win. But truthfully, being accurate on the sticks is what really matters. Bullet selection is probably more important than a specific caliber too.

If recoil is a concern, there's nothing wrong with a .308. A good suppressor will make a .300 Win feel like a .243. Muzzle brakes work too, but they're too loud to be in my wheelhouse. Stay away from lightweight rifles. They kick hard and they're too hard to hold steady.

.308 or .30-06 will do the job just fine. We just got back yesterday and 22 animals for our group including Kudu, Blue Wildebeest, Zebra, impala, steenbok, springbok, warthog, duiker, Nyala. All were shot with a .308 Winchester.

The suggestion of getting yourself a copy of the “the perfect shot” is a great suggestion as well.

I've hunted lots of plains game with my Kimber Mountain Ascent in .308, it's a really nice light gun, a real pleasure to tote around. And if I get to Africa and my luggage is lost, which has happened 3 times, I can always find ammo. In fact just today I was at the range dialing in some 180 grain Swift Aframes for this next trip in September.

Everything from .243 to 9.3x62 will work for you.

30-06. I’m taking a 300 PRC.

Any of your three would be acceptable, but I think the 30-06 will be better on wildebeest and kudu than the other two.

What’s your PH recommend?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lockstocknbarel

Latest profile posts

JG26Irish_2 wrote on WISafariHunter's profile.
About Lon's Elephant hunts w/Tokoloshe? I hear Lon is battling cancer? What is his long term prognosis? I am already booked to hunt Africa in 2024 2025. Might consider 2026 for another African hunt. I want to hunt a more wild open region devoid of civilization. Concern is the risk that I book f/2026 then find poor Lon has passed on? Does Lon have any assistance to carry on the business in his absence?
Life is Short live it how you want...
jgraco33 wrote on 85lc's profile.
Is your 22HP still available? If so have the original case?
tacklers wrote on ianevans's profile.
Hi Ian, I'm contemplating my first outing, leaving UK via Dubai to Africa, taking rifles as you did.

I presume it went okay for you, would you have done anything differently? Cheers, Richard East Sussex