First Convention: SCI or DSC?

franzfmdavis

Gold supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
I am planning to go to one convention this January, which will be my first safari convention.

Would you recommend one over the other between the Dallas Safari Club convention in Atlanta and the Safari Club International convention in Nashville; or, are they essentially similar?

(Im not a member of either organization yet)

Hard call this year I think...

I think the jury is out on DSC Atlanta.. It promises to be a good show.. DSC is always great.. but with the change in venue, the lack of the DSC 100 (volunteer group that many people say is the best "feature" DSC provides over SCI), etc.. I dont think anyone can really say how DSC is going to play out this year..

In years past I would have taken DSC over SCI easily... but this year.. I really dont know..

I know Ive spent a lot of time in both Atlanta and Nashville over the years (Im from Tennessee.. and lived 3 hours north of Atlanta and 2 hours east of Nashvile for a very long time)... I'll personally take Nashville over Atlanta... theres really no competition there IMO..

but purely from a "which show will be better" perspective... thats a pretty hard call to make this year I think.. DSC could be stellar... they certainly should be trying to pull out all stops in light of all of the controversy theyve been dealing with over the move, the recent resignation of the CEO, etc..

but can they pull it off? I dunno...

I think you’d enjoy both. I’ve only been to DSC show. Atlanta this year is a big unknown though. You know what you’ll get with SCI in Nashville. The DSC show is a lot cheaper than SCI show both in membership and show cost.

I’ve been to SCI the last 2 years in Nashville and have really enjoyed it both times. I plan on going back again in 2025. I am also going to try and make DSC since I live in Georgia, I have never been to a DSC show and I’m interested in seeing what it’s like. If I only do one though, it will SCI in Nashville.

I am planning to go to one convention this January, which will be my first safari convention.

Would you recommend one over the other between the Dallas Safari Club convention in Atlanta and the Safari Club International convention in Nashville; or, are they essentially similar?

(Im not a member of either organization yet)
While I love both SCI is geared more to Africa in terms of most outfitters as DSC has so many deer hunting and other type outfitters beyond Africa. If I am hunting Africa SCI is the clear choice

I preferred DSC when it was in Dallas. However, there is no way I’m going to a convention in Atlanta. I will be going to Nashville. SCI hit a home run in Nashville last year.

I preferred DSC when it was in Dallas. However, there is no way I’m going to a convention in Atlanta. I will be going to Nashville. SCI hit a home run in Nashville last year.
Never been to Nashville SCI and if I attend a show this year I will go to Nashville.

I love the DSC show, however announcing the move to Atlanta one week after buying my $1,500 life membership really put a bad taste in my mouth.

Normally I would say DSC. However, with DSC in Atlanta, unless you know your way around evening entertainment will be hard. Nashville, however, entertainment is SAFE walking distance.

Atlanta is just another concrete jungle. Nashville not so much, yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AddieWhitt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa