First Buffalo hunt: Mozambique vs. South Africa

I absolutely can attest that Tsala has some huge buffalo, all self-sustaining. This is not a matter of driving up to a feedlot and picking out a buffalo, with Tsala, you'll earn your buffalo. I've been to Africa 18 times, and I have only ever returned to the same place one time, and that was with Tsala. There may be equally good outfitters out there, but no one is better than Tsala!!
I'm booked with Tsala Safaris in June for Cape Buffalo and Sable and I absolutely cannot wait!

Ive had a client for 14 days, no buff!!
Next day new client arrives second morning done buff in the salt
Thats hunting in limpopo on a large area with lots of wild and wily buff

I’m not going to argue it can’t be a great experience. But if this discussion was about elk I don’t think there’d be an argument a high fence elk hunt in Texas is very different than private land in Colorado is very different than wilderness in northern BC. The same differences apply to buffalo hunting in my opinion. I haven’t seen private land I thought could compare to a wilderness concession area as far as the experience. I think too many have convinced themselves it’s out of reach and settle for less when they don’t have to. I think it all depends on a hunter’s priorities.
I’m not sure why someone would think it’s out of reach, if you do the research it will be very close in some cases. Checking prices on an outfit in this thread, they are actually the same cost for a buff hunt to what I paid in Zim for the exact same amount of hunting days.

I'm booked with Tsala Safaris in June for Cape Buffalo and Sable and I absolutely cannot wait!
I was there again this past September, believe me, they have some sable and buffalo, that if they are not 50", they are darn close!! A first class operation for sure!!

I admit to being fairly new to hunting in Africa, with just 2 South Africa hunts under my belt. First was on a Cabela's package in 2022 (using PH's rifle) and then booking on my own for 2023 (using my Blaser R8). A little while back I was looking at Cabela's packages for 2024 and their offering of a Cape Buffalo hunt caught my interest. It was to be booked in South Africa and was at first tempting as it seemed to include both a Sable and a Cape Buffalo at a price typical for just a buffalo, but they later changed description to just the Buffalo so not so much of a 'deal'. Though I decided not to book that, that set the idea of a buffalo hunt in my head. I started reading threads here on where to hunt and have some basic info of South Africa being less 'wild' that other locations.

I don't want to feel like I'm just out grocery shopping for a buffalo, even if its a very nice one that would be a great mount. The Kudu I shot on the last day of my first safari is still crisp in my memories as it took us 3 days trying to find one to get it, and that work for it made it all the much more rewarding. For a Buffalo, I want to have a high chance of success but I don't want to just get out of the vehicle on the first day, walk a mile, and shoot one. I want to work for it to find the right one for me, not just to find one.

I've talked with two outfitters, both well recommended here. One hunt would be in South Africa and the other would be in Mozambique's Niassa province. I'm trying to decide which one to do. I've seen some recent threads but haven't seen more specific info on the actual experience of the more 'wild' hunts. I'd appreciate any links to trip reports from anyone who has experienced each location or other threads with more specific details around differences between them.

I understand that the lodges will be more basic in Mozambique, not quite as nice as something like the South Africa lodge facilities that have been posted here in trip reports. But in terms of the hunt itself, how different is the environment? more flat in any area? more marshy/wetlands? I realize Mozambique will have no fences and a 15-20000 acre area in South Africa would have fencing. On my 2 hunts before, I know I was within some high fenced areas on some days (not for the Kudu). But other than entry driving through the fences, I don't recall seeing any fences during actual hunting.

For me, I'm in early 50s. I'd like to think I'll return to Africa each year or every other year at worst. But, I've seen too many friends and colleagues in past few years that pass away in their 40s and 50s having missed out on things they wanted to do in life. My original thought was to go with the South Africa hunt at lower cost and then if I like it to do the more wild hunt down the road. But now I'm more considering going for the Mozambique hunt to get the more wild experience and then decide if I want to repeat it down the road, try a less wild experience, or consider myself done with Buffalo and looking back to other animals. Any thoughts, experience, suggestions are appreciate. Thanks for reading my ramblings.
Mozambique for the real deal..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sara29R474

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]