First Buffalo hunt: Mozambique vs. South Africa

I have hunted South Africa and I have hunted Niassa twice. There is really no comparison. Niassa is really the Rolls Royce of Buffalo hunting. Niassa is adjacent to the Selous in Tanzania, separated by a corridor. Logistics are important when traveling to some place like Niassa. With that in mind, I can recommend Kwalata (Jaco Strauss) who is a site sponsor and Kambako (Jumbo Moore). I have hunted from both of their camps. They have the logistics to get you there safely with your guns and back home with no problems. The price will be a little higher but will be worth the difference in quality of experience. Glad to give more info through PM.

I have not hunted Mozambique yet but there is a significant difference in experience between wild hunts in concession areas and ranch hunts. A huge number of variables play into success on a hunt in a wild area. Time of year, previous rains, burning, lions, one week to next can be a very different hunt and different game numbers in area. A ranch hunt is much more predictable because of the fence and smaller area and most ranches have very few, if any, real predators. I think the question to ask yourself is what makes the trophy valuable to you. A wild buffalo to me is one that crossed boundaries, fought to breed, and was harassed by poachers and lions its whole life. Any degree of human management would start to diminish the trophy to me. The first buffalo I ever saw in RSA was getting chased down the highway along fence line. It was a trophy bull, I don’t know if it was an escape or a botched transport attempt. I also hunted plains game on property with only young bulls that were brought in and hunted a different property where two rouge bulls broke in from somewhere and I’ve driven past many breeding camps. The quality of buffalo hunting can vary a lot in South Africa. Many outfitters are not directly managing the areas they hunt there and sharing the areas with other outfitters. I’d ask clearly what self sustaining means and verify it if it’s an important consideration to you. The definition appears to have become very flexible and incorporated with game ranching industry there. There are good and bad concession areas as well, but game numbers can only increase naturally through good anti-poaching and adding water. Recognizing a quality concession area is more clear to me.
I’ve read and heard nothing but amazing things about Niassa, but from what I understand it is also one of the more expensive areas you can hunt. Have you considered looking into Zimbabwe? You could hunt some of the best areas there at same day rates as Niassa but significantly lower trophy fees on plains game and lower dip/pack costs and shipping home costs and no individual license fees. An area like Nyakasanga you will get wild Africa with no villages and see lions, elephants, buffalo most days. A community area like Dande with villages will be better pricing and a tougher hunt, but still nearly 100% success on buffalo. Zimbabwe might be a good compromise for you.
If you can afford and have the time, wild Africa really gives a better hunt in my opinion. Also the fenced areas will be there in 20 years. Many concession areas are under more pressure each day as the human population grows in Africa. I’d go while you can, they might not be there tomorrow.
Any recommendations for Zim outfitters? The Moz hunt I was looking at was about 60% more than the SA option which didn't seem terribly bad for a wild hunt. Flights from JNB to Pemba would add about $800 extra cost vs just going to JNB. Then outfitter said it's a 5 hour drive to the camp, no charter plane noted there.

I've also now read and heard that there are much higher costs to get animal out of Moz, and likely Zim as well, (both for dip n pack and overall shipping) vs South Africa. Is that accurate?

Somewhat wondering if my estimated ~60% cost premium is going to end up closer to 100% after all is said and done. That may put off the hunt to 2025.

Any recommendations for Zim outfitters? ...
CM Safaris, Buzz and Myles run a great outfit and you have a choice of multiple areas Dande, Nyakasanga, Gokwe, Kazuma etc., etc.). Have hunted with them in different areas on multiple occasions so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some have also pointed me to the Limcroma Buffalo package being offered for Limpopo. Has anyone done those? Did a quick search for trip reports with them for buffalo hunts but didn't notice anything recent. Curious on comparison of that to the wild Moz/Zim/etc hunts.

CM Safaris, Buzz and Myles run a great outfit and you have a choice of multiple areas Dande, Nyakasanga, Gokwe, Kazuma etc., etc.). Have hunted with them in different areas on multiple occasions so far.
Charlton McCallum safaris gets my recommendation too. My hunt with them in 2021 was one of my best. I’ll be returning in 2024.

I've also now read and heard that there are much higher costs to get animal out of Moz, and likely Zim as well, (both for dip n pack and overall shipping) vs South Africa. Is that accurate?
In Zimbabwe I spent I think $3500 for dip and pack plus shipping to port of entry in Aug 2022. I didn’t think it was too bad for as large a crate as I had. You honestly never know the shipping price though until you get the invoice unfortunately.
IMG_2905.jpeg

This was a recent thread on Mozambique shipping. The costs were really surprising to me.

Some have also pointed me to the Limcroma Buffalo package being offered for Limpopo. Has anyone done those? Did a quick search for trip reports with them for buffalo hunts but didn't notice anything recent. Curious on comparison of that to the wild Moz/Zim/etc hunts.
Like mentioned, a SA hunt may offer a similar experience to a wild hunt in Zimbabwe or Mozambique, but there is absolutely no guarantee it will be. Any buffalo hunt advertised in less than 7 days should give you an idea that it won’t be the same experience as a wild hunt. Most outfitters in Zimbabwe don’t want to hunt buffalo in less then 7 days, some won’t do it in less then 10. A lot can happen and it very well could take you all of 10 days to get a shot on a buffalo. Or you could get one on day one or two, it’s all luck and chance.

I was in the same boat as you but I never hunted South Africa, I ended up hunting in Zimbabwe. I’m glad I did and never looked back. I wanted to hunt buffalo the traditional way of tracking, not spot and stalk. I wanted to be sure it was wild and no supplemental feeding, no large pack of bulls without cows, and no put and take situations. Most Zim buff hunts will be between 14-18k all in depending if you hunt communal or a safari areas. I was in the same situation and worried about cost, but then I just figured I would wait an extra year to save more money so I could get the experience I wanted.

Here is my hunting report.

In Zim I personally would contact Len Taylor directly. He hunts quite a bit with CMS but has access to other areas as well. However, you won’t go wrong if you use CMS.

In my view, it´s all about choosing the right Outfitter, not the country.

It took me four days to hunt my buff in South Africa, in one of the largest game reserves in KwaZulu/Natal.

Imagen 073.jpg

just my two cents having just got back from a Zim buff hunt on 2 million acres no fence. while i certainly enjoyed it, got a nice buff the experience itself was no better to me versus my buff hunt in Limpopo. Both hunts took me seven days to get my bull and both involved walking up and down hills which i both was ready for and enjoyed. Zim cost me $7k more than Limpopo. to me it was important to experience the latter but i would not make that choice again, just my experience.
That will be very interesting topic/report to compare both adventures, in respect to "the expectations" before the hunt and the reality.
Hopefully you will share your experiences and thoughts in more details if time permits.
Kind regards!

If you do go to Mozambique I would not go to the swamps for the your first buffalo hunt.
Its a unique experience but not the same as a tracking hunt getting up early checking spoor at waterholes and so on.
Compared to the swamps the thing that is unuque is getting to the buff in the swamps and you will probarbly not have a close shot but rather 100yards.

I hunted with Kambako Safaris and you can’t go wrong there. By far my best buff hunt which includes the Selous for three and Binga tribal land in the Zim for two. You will go to a spring and pick up the track. If your lucky like me - 5 hours later you sneak in as they lay their in the shade. Bam as he stood to see what’s up at 40 yds!! I second that it is the Rolls Royce of hunting because you’re going to do the same story with your Eland- only 3 hours before bang!! My PH was Derren Ellerman trackers Crispen and Kattele 17 years together in 2022. Ryan or Paul will give you the same experience if they’re not available. Save your money and go with them by far the very best of my 20 hunts in Africa. My reports in AH.

just my two cents having just got back from a Zim buff hunt on 2 million acres no fence. while i certainly enjoyed it, got a nice buff the experience itself was no better to me versus my buff hunt in Limpopo. Both hunts took me seven days to get my bull and both involved walking up and down hills which i both was ready for and enjoyed. Zim cost me $7k more than Limpopo. to me it was important to experience the latter but i would not make that choice again, just my experience.
Would you mind sharing name of outfitter for Limpopo hunt, even if just in PM? Happen to have a trip report for either/both hunts?

There are outfitters in Limpopo that offer buffalo hunts on big hunting areas with no internal fence. Tracking buffalo in these areas are a hell of a experience.

Reactions: DWB
That will be very interesting topic/report to compare both adventures, in respect to "the expectations" before the hunt and the reality.
Hopefully you will share your experiences and thoughts in more details if time permits.
Kind regards!
i have if you look up my hunt with TSALA then my latest with Dalton & York you can read my reports

There are outfitters in Limpopo that offer buffalo hunts on big hunting areas with no internal fence. Tracking buffalo in these areas are a hell of an experience.
I’m not going to argue it can’t be a great experience. But if this discussion was about elk I don’t think there’d be an argument a high fence elk hunt in Texas is very different than private land in Colorado is very different than wilderness in northern BC. The same differences apply to buffalo hunting in my opinion. I haven’t seen private land I thought could compare to a wilderness concession area as far as the experience. I think too many have convinced themselves it’s out of reach and settle for less when they don’t have to. I think it all depends on a hunter’s priorities.

Good Day Sir

We at Tsala Safaris pride ourselves on our authentic buffalo hunting experience either in South African on our own 10 000 acres property or on our concession area in Mozambique.We also have a wonderfull concessions area bordering the Kruger National Park.

All our hunts are conducted on areas with self sustaining herds ,tracking on foot ,getting in close.

There are few buff hunt reviews of our operation on AH.

You are most welcome to contact us , even if its juts to talk buff hunting and get a feel for things.

Regards

Rouan
I absolutely can attest that Tsala has some huge buffalo, all self-sustaining. This is not a matter of driving up to a feedlot and picking out a buffalo, with Tsala, you'll earn your buffalo. I've been to Africa 18 times, and I have only ever returned to the same place one time, and that was with Tsala. There may be equally good outfitters out there, but no one is better than Tsala!!

126 square kilometers (31,135 acres) is the smallest natural range. The largest is 1075 square kilometers (265,638 acres). Just another item to consider.

Last edited:
I absolutely can attest that Tsala has some huge buffalo, all self-sustaining. This is not a matter of driving up to a feedlot and picking out a buffalo, with Tsala, you'll earn your buffalo. I've been to Africa 18 times, and I have only ever returned to the same place one time, and that was with Tsala. There may be equally good outfitters out there, but no one is better than Tsala!!
+1. i worked my skinny butt off taking 7 days to get my buff with them!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fox1

Latest profile posts

Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt