Finally, my Heym 89b, 577 NE

I opened this topic to read and when the first photo downloaded I said oh snap! Beautiful rifle! I love that it isn't over the top with embellishments but that wood is fantastic! I also love the baby toy in the photo...hah. I hope you get at least 1 hunt with it. Any plans for using it?
Thank you! The funny thing is that I ordered this rifle before that kid (my youngest of three boys) was even a sparkle in our eyes.

Nothing in the books yet, but I plan on taking it to Africa after dangerous game at least a few times before I die.

Very good looking rifle FS and it is comforting that being a Heym it is mechanically up to it.
How long was the lead time in total?
I ordered this rifle in April of 2021, so that is 2 years, 11 months. The ammunition shortage probably didn’t speed things up any.

An absolute piece of artwork.

A Heym double is a dream gun for most of us.

What would one of these set you back today new from the shop? Is the 577NE priced higher than other offerings ie 500NE, 470NE?
I’m sure ordering one today would be more, but back in 2021 it was $30k. Chris basically gave me the wood upgrade for free. The .577 adds approximately $3k to $4k to the price above a standard chambering.

Congrats I should have my 577 about the same time or just behind yours. It shore seems like a lot of the new Heym 89b are being build in 577 nitro.
Wow, much bigger club than I anticipated. I’m glad to see many others placing orders for this caliber.

Very nice to see something a little different FrogSqealer. Looking forward to a range report. "grats.....FWB

I don't see a lot of .577 components available. Is there a good source or random findings? I shoot a .577 BPE and don't see much brass around.
You are spot on…not much available out there. I usually scour gunbroker and jump on any components that are reasonably priced. Accurate Molds has several designs that should work for a low cost option.

Beautiful Double Frog Stealer. Cant wait to hear how it shoots. I would love to hear what your loads are when you find a few that regulate well. I have been on Chris about finding a supply of ammo and brass for the 577s if a few others get on him maybe we can have someone to keep a steady supply in the USA.
I’m in…that would be great! I know Bertram does a few runs of 577 a year. Maybe we all can get in on a large group buy.

I don't see a lot of .577 components available. Is there a good source or random findings? I shoot a .577 BPE and don't see much brass around.
You know who I believe is back is Bob Stahl with "Colorado Custom Cartridges." Access to Bertram.

That would be a nice visit, they do seem like great people. .. How was the 577? subjective question .. if you care to share. Even 88 vs 89?
The 88 I shot in Texas was very similar to mine, case color and all. Honestly, I couldn’t tell much difference between the two, but again that was three years ago. I think it’s just the aesthetics of the 88 vs 89 action.

Not to detract from this topic but Champlins shows a Marcel Thys .577 NE for 24k...tribute gun to Shawu (one of the magnificent 7 one hundred pounder bulls in Kruger). It's a lighter weight of just 11 lbs 4 oz.

I'm already exhausted by days end. Tags still on it, in the event I have to try selling. It is the finest fit I've owned, however.
That 89 seems pretty upgraded, to me? ..
Actually, mine is pretty basic. The cheapest option for engraving, and case color are really all the adders. Chris probably felt sorry for me and threw in the nice wood upgrade for free.

Beautiful rifle!, congratulations. The smile it puts on your face is priceless.
Buffalo bore carries some ammo for the 577 ne that I have seen of late.. 40 a pop yikes!

Did you pick that stock blank or it was chosen for you? I'm curious what the blank looked like if you have that photo?

I know Tim Sundles has been working on .577 and .600 loads as he is a fan of the big bore doubles and uses them in Africa annually.

Did you pick that stock blank or it was chosen for you? I'm curious what the blank looked like if you have that photo?
GC, this was the first blank Chris showed when sitting in his office. Unfortunately, I didn’t take any pics of it. I obviously jumped on it right after he sprayed water on it to show the grain.

Oh you saw it in person. Fantastic. I've heard great things about Chris in general but haven't met him.

Actually, mine is pretty basic. The cheapest option for engraving, and case color are really all the adders. Chris probably felt sorry for me and threw in the nice wood upgrade for free.
Thanks for sharing your experience & all the above. You'll be living on adrenaline .. for quite a while. Many Congrats! .. really happy for ya!

The sheer size, engineering, rifling. Beautiful piece of art, Lord.

A beautiful rifle, it should serve you well for many decades and have the necessary build quality to extract its owner from many a dire situation!

Yes it's too light. 577's are normally heavier. They will always recoil but you don't want that sharp, nasty take your head off kind of recoil. 11 pound versions are about 140 lbs of recoil...13 lb guns are 120 lbs of recoil...14 pound gun is 110 lbs of recoil. A proper 500 nitro is about 70-80 lbs of recoil...and a 7 lb 30-06 with factory loads is about 25 lbs to give you a perspective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DemiClimps

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg