Favorite Reticle

Short Track

Reaction score
What's your Favorite Reticle ?

I personally like the Swaro BRX so I can hold over or dial. I can hold over to 300-400 yards, then start dialing for further distance.

I’ve been messing around with the Zeiss Rapid Z on my 300 H&H lately… it’s growing on me…

I normally like a simple plex reticle .. most of my hunting is done at less than 200 yards… so a simple 1” high zero at 100 is about perfect for almost every shot I can imagine..

But I’m in the process of prepping for an Idaho elk hunt now where the possibility of a 300+ yard shot is a real possibility…

With the rapid z it’s looking like I can make shots out as far as 600 with the reticle doing all the holdover work for me…

For long range hunting I’ve successfully used different dial up scopes with standard duplex reticle but I like the simplicity and simpleness of the Leupold Boone & Crockett BDC, Vortex BDC and Nikon BDC. This for ranges out to 600 yards. For DG or anything under 300 yards I like a standard duplex or German #4.

I really like an illuminated German #4, but it I do like FFP Christmas trees for long range (i.e., VMR-4).

Honestly I prefer crossfire and tapered post.
It works like a front bead. Excellent on running targets as well as in thick bush. Unfortunately now available on special orders on European scopes only.

It works like a front bead. Excellent on running targets as well as in thick bush. Unfortunately now available on special orders on European scopes only.
Looking through my new "tactical" 1-4x Bushnell on 1x, the front bead and hood are in view: sort of a mega post reticle. At first this was a disappointment (which should have been anticipated when I ordered the scope), but I have become acclimated and no doubt the "obstruction" will be very handy should I need to snuff out running game ... before it snuffs me. The front sight disappears above 3x.
20240420_112851.jpg

Looking through my new "tactical" 1-4x Bushnell on 1x, the front bead and hood are in view: sort of a mega post reticle. At first this was a disappointment (which should have been anticipated when I ordered the scope), but I have become acclimated and no doubt the "obstruction" will be very handy should I need to snuff out running game ... before it snuffs me. The front sight disappears above 3x.
View attachment 616105
Exact same on my Leupold VX3 1.5-5 Illuminated duplex reticle mounted to CZ 416 Rigby but it doesn’t bother me.

1719332865227.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely different ones for different purposes (too many to mention.) Each selected is for a specific purpose (long range, short range wide field DG, rimfire, pistols, etc., etc.) but my most favorite is one that Leupold unfortunately doesn't manufacture or sell any longer...It's a 30mm 12" @100 black/illuminated red circle with a 1 Mil (black/illumated red) dot in the center. Also very handy for rangefinding with the 6" at 100 yd radius, 12" diam, 1" dot, etc. 'Have it on a short 30-06 pump that's taken more game than all guns combined...It (and the pump which essentially autoloads upon recoil AND you don't take your eye off the target, unlike most other actions) IS absolutely phenomenal for moving or running shots (out to about 300 yds, as it's a 1-5x). They had one w/ 150 yd parallax and another (for shotguns/muzzleloaders/short shot woods or swamp rifles) set a 75 yds. Gun shoots <1 Mil 5-shots (and <2 Mil 10 shots). IF ever hunting PG in Africa again (especially smaller, springier stuff, I'll bring the pump over as it's perfectly suited for same!) The Burris varmint BDC reticle scope comes to mind, as it's simply dead-on out to 750 yds using a 22-250 and 55-60 gr bullets (the finer lines are Very important for longer range varmint shooting, as the standard versions will cover up woodchucks or prairie dogs at 400 yds or longer-you literally cannot see the targets.) With all that great glass out there, hate to say it but the absolute Longest shots ever made on game (successfully) were with a Burris Fullfield II 4-14x 42 Illuminated BDC (400-750 yds regularly.) Trijicon 1-6x 30mm German #4 for DG (illuminated, no batteries required.) Illuminated because Black bear and Syncerus can be damn hard to aim at with Black reticles early and late in the day! Bushnell or Weaver "big game" scopes for rimfire rifles. :p Do NOT like the Nikon reticles with the hollow circles as aiming points-simply NOT precise enough, IMO based upon trying one out that came with a rifle (quickly sold it and replaced w/ Burris-borne out of Leupold!) Aimpoint-type red dots can work nicely on shorter range pistols, shotguns, muzzleloaders and older doubles, singles, etc. Shot a fair amount of game <100 yd using a red dot on a .44 RM once upon a time. Remember when the other "better" Euro scopes were $2K+ and the US' best were $1K (and, at that time the value of the EU:USD was 2:1.) When the USD:EU became 1:1, how come the prices didn't change?? ;) LOL When I selected the Trijicon DG scope, 'went to Europtic's showroom and we went outside in the parking lot, looking N. toward World's End S.P. with Kahles, Swaro, S&B, Zeiss (and poss others) and guess which was the absolute clearest (the $1K US military contractor scope!) Did same with binos and grabbed a pair of 10x42 Blaser Primus (for the same reason.) As they are made in Austria, I think they were 2.5K list (but they sold me the demo model for $1.5K.) Heavy, but phenomenal optics! GL with your choices. Sometimes I think optics fall into the "fashion show" category...plenty of Armani dresses on guns not typically utilized to their full potentials (in which case what's mentioned above gets the job done and the (Involuntary) cost of Bidenomics can be paid for with the "savings!" LOL

Last edited:

I just received a German post and crosshair that was put into a steel Redfield Ultimate Illuminator 4-12x56. The original crosshairs were too fine to see 30-60 minutes after Sundown. The post shows up. My shots are all on hogs at 100 yards or so. South Carolina allows shooting until 60 minutes after sundown. The scope needed repair so it was an additional $90 to change the crosshairs.

Ironically, the last few years all of my hog shots were well before sundown, one as early as 3:15 and last year at 4:15.

Exact same on my Leupold VX3 1.5-5 Illuminated duplex reticle mounted to CZ 416 Rigby but it doesn’t bother me.
You have the same scope on your DG gun as my 3006 gun below your post (excepting the reticle!) The way around the "iron sights in view at low power 1-2x" is to simply use higher rings. It has no bearing on accuracy for 100-200 yd gun purposes. Had low rings on my 416, but after NECG installed iron sights, wound up using high Q/D and the problem literally disappeared! I don't like seeing anything but clearly DG in scopes for that purpose!

I just received a German post and crosshair that was put into a steel Redfield Ultimate Illuminator 4-12x56. The original crosshairs were too fine to see 30-60 minutes after Sundown. The post shows up. My shots are all on hogs at 100 yards or so. South Carolina allows shooting until 60 minutes after sundown. The scope needed repair so it was an additional $90 to change the crosshairs.

Ironically, the last few years all of my hog shots were well before sundown, one as early as 3:15 and last year at 4:15.
Is Redfield still in business? I didn't think so. 'Did a job for them out in CO years back. Many copied their widefield view design (wide, but with the top and bottom of the view clipped off.) Ahead of its time back then!

You have the same scope on your DG gun as my 3006 gun below your post (excepting the reticle!) The way around the "iron sights in view at low power 1-2x" is to simply use higher rings. It has no bearing on accuracy for 100-200 yd gun purposes. Had low rings on my 416, but after NECG installed iron sights, wound up using high Q/D and the problem literally disappeared! I don't like seeing anything but clearly DG in scopes for that purpose!
Raising the scope typically affects fast acquisition which is critical for dangerous game. Cycling quickly for backup shots, one needs to be on the full field of view and crosshairs the instant gun is mounted, not hunting for view in a scope mounted too high. I can shut my eyes, mount the rifle, open my eyes, and full field of view is right there. Similarly, if I detach the scope, I can do the same thing and bead is in the crotch of the leaf. Same positioning on the gun scope on or off.

Scope turned up to 2x and I can see through the image of barrel and front sight still in field of view. Turn it up to 3x and only a ghost of front sight and barrel is barely visible. 4x and it is totally gone. I shot both my buffalo with 3x, the second on the run at 65 yards. Shot an incoming gemsbuck twice at less than 25 yards with my 30-06's 3-9x set on 5x. Both shots in the heart. For buffalo I will keep this scope on 2x. IMAX field of view and instant acquisition. Nothing hidden from view.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonV787184

Latest profile posts

JG26Irish_2 wrote on WISafariHunter's profile.
About Lon's Elephant hunts w/Tokoloshe? I hear Lon is battling cancer? What is his long term prognosis? I am already booked to hunt Africa in 2024 2025. Might consider 2026 for another African hunt. I want to hunt a more wild open region devoid of civilization. Concern is the risk that I book f/2026 then find poor Lon has passed on? Does Lon have any assistance to carry on the business in his absence?
Life is Short live it how you want...
jgraco33 wrote on 85lc's profile.
Is your 22HP still available? If so have the original case?
tacklers wrote on ianevans's profile.
Hi Ian, I'm contemplating my first outing, leaving UK via Dubai to Africa, taking rifles as you did.

I presume it went okay for you, would you have done anything differently? Cheers, Richard East Sussex