Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI,NRA
Hunted
namibia,zambia, Zimbabwe,Botswana, South Africa
I’ve read some discussion about this in other posts but I’d like to hear from members who do this routinely of any issues or conflicts you have had with TSA while checking carry on with scopes. I’m designing my Pelican 1700 layout for my upcoming safari to Zim and I really want to take two R8’s but that will require scopes in carry on. I’ve read they’re approved on TSA website but looking for actual experience at the checkpoint. Thanks for your help

I've had no issues other than on the scanner they tend to think it's a flashlight. Simple quick bag search and on the way. Just plan for some extra time. I have a scope and two sets of binos in a small carry-on plus two large flash lights in a larger one. Oh and two thermal sights.

With TSA being a hodgepodge of everything from decent hard working people to the obvious mentally retarded, every contact with them is a roll of the dice.
So, I will never put anything in my carryon bag that attaches to a firearm.

Last edited:
I've had issues with pushing the weight limit on rifle cases when I take 3 in a case and have removed scopes for that reason. I think this is my third trip with 3 per case. First trip I even had binos in the rifle cases. 10 trips and no real issues with optics in carry on. It is a good feeling to know your expensive optics are in your possession the whole time.

Can't argue the points about TSA and on this trip the worst incompetence was the Delta check in agent at the special baggage check spot. Coded my checked bag as a rifle case simply because it had the allowed ammo in it. That caused the bag to go God knows where in Joburg. Fortunately @Just Gina had put an Apple Air Tag in there. She showed the Famous Mr. X the location in the airport and he sent a great young airport worker to fetch it and got it straightened out. This young man was our VIP Meet and Greet guy. Turned out to be well worth having him!

The snafu with that bag delayed us long enough to have our checked bags to Zimbabwe get caught up in a power outage at the airport and so they didn't come with us to Victoria Falls. Fortunately we got them the next day but this is an example of a little screw up in Mogadishu Minnesota had a long tail that whipped us two days later in Zimbabwe. More dominoes tend to fall once the first one is toppled.

I had a Doha baggage screener hold me up on the way home. 3 rifle scopes and one bino in my carry on

we discussed how my military equipment was illegal . 2 supervisors and :45 later I was on my way.

As with everything, it’s the individual employees knowledge that causes issues.

I take my scopes in carryon no problem. However, last time flying out of Toronto with a bipod in my carryon did cause a delay and almost missed my flight. "What's that?" A bipod for my rifle. "Oh, that can't go. It's a gun part." The scopes were on "the list" but bipod is not. Took someone way up on top to change the list. I get why gun parts are not to be boarded. Some jhihadists could assemble them in the john and then send everyone to Paradise. So, do NOT put bolts or magazines in carryon! Or they will be gone. I had to give up three of these key fobs to airport security. And I get that too. Other passengers on the plane might/should freak out if they see someone flashing what appears to be ammunition.
17195075945403884143993028237367.jpg

It’s a good idea to put the serial numbers of your optics on your 4457. I’ve carried scopes in carry in with delta to SA and had no problems. They will show up on x rays and your carry on will get looked into, because they do look suspicious.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Looks like you’ll probably be ok taking scopes in carry on but probably expect additional scrutiny and the delays that go with it.

I always have a compact, aluminum flashlight in my carry on. It even has a scalloped edge around the lens. Nobody has ever said anything to me about it. It is most ricky tick as much of a defensive weapon as it is a flashlight. I don't believe there's a plastic surgeon on earth who could make that scar go away if I had to jab somebody in the face with it.

I always have a compact, aluminum flashlight in my carry on. It even has a scalloped edge around the lens. Nobody has ever said anything to me about it. It is most ricky tick as much of a defensive weapon as it is a flashlight. I don't believe there's a plastic surgeon on earth who could make that scar go away if I had to jab somebody in the face with it.
Someday it will get tagged. Last time I had a security agent at Joberg remove my red duct tape. "That can't go on the plane." Huh? Okay, not worth arguing over. She threw it in the drawer with her lunch. The previous safari a young security dude confiscated my mustache scissors from the kit my late wife gave me many years ago. First anniversary I think. These were TINY, smaller than fingernail scissors. I guess technically they are not allowed but I'd flown for years with that kit and no problem.

They will get you someday.

Doubtful. It is, in fact, a functional flashlight. That it could be used as an edged weapon would be lost on nearly everyone.

3 BINOS, 1 "ELECTRONIC SCOPE", 2 REGULAR SCOPES JUST FLEW ATL TO CPT IN CARRY ON.

Doubtful. It is, in fact, a functional flashlight. That it could be used as an edged weapon would be lost on nearly everyone.
And my duct tape was just functional duct tape. I guess it was also a blunt instrument? Who knows. She wanted it. Her boss was sitting there at computer and nodded okay. It's gone. If that's a nice flashlight, someone may take a shine to it. With sharp edges attached ... there it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BerryBidde

Latest profile posts

Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me