Favorite Plains Game

On the karoo? Springbok, extremely difficult to get close and when you finally settle on the right one in the herd and get set, they shuffle the order and move again.

Upon spotting a herd the conversation goes something like this:
Hunter: "Which one".
PH: "The second one from the left".
Hunter: "Second one from the left"?
PH: "No. Now he's the third one from the left in the back standing behind the second one".
Hunter: "The one with the tall horns"?
PH: "No. Now he's the third one from the right in the front of the last two."
Hunter: KABOOM! "Was that the right one"?
PH: "No, but he is still a nice one".
Man, does that sound familiar. As my Dad used to say, "They fly around like the button on an outhouse door." You just get lined up on one and he moves. My PH used to tell me,"Just shoot one."

You guys are getting me super-excited about bushbuck, which is next on my list. Hopefully by July this year I'll have gotten a nice Karoo bushbuck with one of my vintage British single shots--double the fun, double the satisfaction.

a vote for Sable with Nyala a close second.

All this talk about tracking hunts for Eland makes me realize I really want to experience it.. And that I don’t have a proper Eland rifle…

We can help with that! I will use a 9.3x62 on my next eland hunt.

Hmmmm, from the hunting I've done...

Kudu, a fantastic hunt all round and incredible animals.

Bushbuck for their attitude.

Vaalies for their eyesight.

@rookhawk ... I am with you on eating zebra. I got to try everything I shot, and some things I didn't. Hands down the best was zebra. In a perfect world I'd have brought the whole thing back to Alaska with me, and entertained and amazed my friends here with the meals I shared. :D
I had a goal in Namibia on my first trip. Get a zebra, make a ZLT. Zebra was my last animal and I had a ZLT the next day for lunch. It was great If I'm not the only one to do that, I'm of a small group. Great meat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeviHyde3

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt