Favorite Plains Game

Looks like an old basterd!! Congrats!!

Yes sir, that he was. Hooves long and curled. Hide scared where he'd been fighting younger bulls. My PH said he might have lived another 2 years maybe, better to give him a clean end rather than let the hyenas have him. I figure he died with a curled lip as he had his nose buryed in a cows tail when I took him.

YYes

es sirdeold fella.finitan ely ,

What? No love for the nyala?

IMG_5311.JPG

View attachment 453197
I have to say springbok. I've hunted(chased) them on all my safaris and they can be fun and frustrating. We played tag with bands every hunt. We'd see a bunch, put on a stalk and just as we got close enough for a shot they'd take off and circle just out of range. We'd drive like hell to cut them off and they'd circle again. Round and round for most of the day until one would make a mistake and stand still long enough for a shot.

Out of the four I have, the only one to give me a good shot was my copper. The tracker was herding the band toward us and we ambushed the springbok from behind a boulder. I never tire of playing with the little devils, and they taste good, too.

… I will step up x1 & throw some luv towards the gorgeous Nyala. Last year was the 1st time I dedicated specific hunt days to Nyala & that’s another crafty/elusive trophy especially in E. Cape thick scrub bush hill country. I’m from N.D. so what they call ‘Hills’ I call ‘Mtn’ …

66292172-7AB7-4931-AD57-C240E1844DC4.jpeg

Eland are definitely right up there but an even more challenging similar hunt is tracking bongo. It’s much hotter temperature, way more humidity, a lot thicker, cutting your way through the forest at times, getting cut up by sharp leaves and vines, crossing muddy streams, wet feet, climbing up and down ridges/hills, sweating from every pore and just all around way tougher. Even back at camp it’s very hot and hard to sleep in the heat and humidity. Awakened at night by the overnight heavy rains and lightning. Took me 14 grueling days of hiking from early morning to late afternoon to get mine. Dogs didn’t bay it up so I ran after it when it flushed nearby and popped of a quick shot as it streaked by. Got very lucky and hit it perfectly on the run as it passed through a small gap in the forest cover. The hunter in camp before me didn’t get a shot in 14 days. I booked 21 days and killed on day 14. Rugged but the most beautiful game animal on the planet. He makes you pay for it when hunted by tracking. I killed my Marco Polo sheep on my last day at 17,550 feet elevation but the bongo was all-around harder. Since the bongo is the most beautiful, it’s my favorite PG specie.

All the answers on here are reasonable and of a proper “sportsman” mentality answer.

Yes, I agree.

But I have to give you the fat kid that wants pie answer. Impala and zebra. While maybe not the same sporting experience, boy do I look forward to eating impala liver appetizers and zebra schnitzel on every hunt. I always pray somebody needs bait so I can shoot one or ride their coattails by eating a bit of it back at camp.

But yes, bushbuck and eland are definitely great sport and are delicious too.

I remember eating an entire bushbucks marrow bones slow roasted and smeared on garlic toast for dinner on the Zambezi many years ago. A great hunt and a top-10 lifetime meal too.

Free range eland. Find a track and try to walk him down.
This would have to be my pick as well. However the Kudu must be in the conversation as well. Both of these spiral horns are the kind of animal you would want to hunt over and over.

All the answers on here are reasonable and of a proper “sportsman” mentality answer.

Yes, I agree.

But I have to give you the fat kid that wants pie answer. Impala and zebra. While maybe not the same sporting experience, boy do I look forward to eating impala liver appetizers and zebra schnitzel on every hunt. I always pray somebody needs bait so I can shoot one or ride their coattails by eating a bit of it back at camp.

But yes, bushbuck and eland are definitely great sport and are delicious too.

I remember eating an entire bushbucks marrow bones slow roasted and smeared on garlic toast for dinner on the Zambezi many years ago. A great hunt and a top-10 lifetime meal too.

I´d go with the zebra, too. Having only hunted seven PG species yet my knowledge is quite humble, but a young plains zebra stallion was my first african animal and will stay in my brain and soul until the day I die.

Since I was a kid, I've always had a fascination for Mr. Kudu. In my eyes, they look so majestic, and their walk is almost Royal. Very classy animal, they seem to have this aura around them. I chased them for 3 1/2 days in the Limpopo area, until we finally connected with about 30 min of daylight left. I'm hunting Kudu again in May. :)

On the karoo? Springbok, extremely difficult to get close and when you finally settle on the right one in the herd and get set, they shuffle the order and move again.

Upon spotting a herd the conversation goes something like this:
Hunter: "Which one".
PH: "The second one from the left".
Hunter: "Second one from the left"?
PH: "No. Now he's the third one from the left in the back standing behind the second one".
Hunter: "The one with the tall horns"?
PH: "No. Now he's the third one from the right in the front of the last two."
Hunter: KABOOM! "Was that the right one"?
PH: "No, but he is still a nice one".

I have hunted 29 different species in SA, of which 25 would be plainsgame.

I can´t say I have a favorite, all are diffrent and all were taken under different circumstances, some very easily (luck is important) and some took as much as four days to get them.

My dream is a Bongo, which will remain unfulfilled, unless I win the lottery :E Laugh:

@rookhawk ... I am with you on eating zebra. I got to try everything I shot, and some things I didn't. Hands down the best was zebra. In a perfect world I'd have brought the whole thing back to Alaska with me, and entertained and amazed my friends here with the meals I shared. :D

Difficult question but my favorite memory is a Limpopo bushbuck hunt. I was on my first African plains game hunt in Limpopo with my wife. We looked for many hours for a bushbuck and finally got on one and I completely missed the buck at fairly close range through thick cover. The next day we began again, I was in the same general area as the first hunt but I had no idea where we were at. Finally, I got a second chance at another bushbuck again in thick cover but this time I waited for him to step out before shooting. He was down. We carefully walked up to the bushbuck and discovered it was the exact spot and cover where I missed this same buck just 24 hours before. REDEMPTION!

The bushbuck hide was destroyed in the dip and pack process. I need to find a hide and get him mounted. FAVORITE PLAINS GAME
Bushbuck.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FEJ

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]