Favorite Plains Game

BLJC30

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
What is your favorite PG animal to hunt and why is it your favorite?
You can pick more than one. LOL

Free range eland. Find a track and try to walk him down.

+1 on Eland...a magnificent animal.
1645041641298.png

I haven't been to Africa yet. But, it seems to me that blue wildebeest, warthog and zebras are the most iconic of all African Plains Game but that means nothing when considering their level of challenge as a game animal.

What is the fascination with the Blue Wildebeest? Serious question, is it the look or something else?

After 3 safaris hands down it’s the bushbuck and reedbuck! I would love to get all of the varieties of bushbuck. I have Limpopo, cape and chobe, don’t think I could ever afford to go to Uganda, CAR, Ethiopia or Tanzania for the rest!

X 2, Eland … very crafty & elusive trophy! You rarely see them lingering around a waterhole by day & if you can cut a fresh track off a waterhole on big solo Bull & track him down!? Well, you’ve accomplished something as Hunter + PH/Tracker.

Not allot of attention on Waterbuck - another crafty & elusive trophy where dominant Bulls claim & defend their territory … outsmart a big solo Bull in their backyard! Well, again you’ve accomplished something as a Hunter + PH/Tracker.

Stalking in close & selecting the ‘right’ ole mature Buff Cow out of herd can be a challenging pucker moment!

Happy Trails

Beautiful, where were all those shot?
I made a goal of taking 100 bushbuck rams before I could say I truly understand how to hunt them.

I’m at 81. A few harnessed, chobe, Limpopo rams but most are cape bushbucks from south of Durban and the Eastern Cape in RSA.

I love eland and have taken a bunch (no East African yet l) but … they aren’t bushbucks.

I made a goal of taking 100 bushbuck rams before I could say I truly understand how to hunt them.

I’m at 81. A few harnessed, chobe, Limpopo rams but most are cape bushbucks from south of Durban and the Eastern Cape in RSA.

I love eland and have taken a bunch (no East African yet l) but … they aren’t bushbucks.
I don’t think I’ve ever been more jealous of something posted on AH before now. That’s a serious accomplishment.

I didn't see Eland where I hunted.

I liked hunting Warthog, you front tire of shooting pigs and Warthog are cool.

For me a free range eland is #1, followed closely by bushbuck, then warthog. They are my favorite because all the other species are the same style hunting to me. These require a bit more of a specialized or different effort, making them stand out.

20 minutes into my first day, trying to get the wind in our favor for a stalk on a wildebeest... we stumbled across three large eland bulls. My PH asked if I wanted the largest - 120 yards away and totally unaware; he looked massive. I declined. I don't regret declining - it allowed me to afford my cow buff later - but I think about that moment often. Eland is now on my list for a second trip. I get why so many have said eland.

That said... kudu, hands down. I spent over 30 years wanting one and was fortunate to harvest not one but two. And I want more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XeroAxis

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]