Factory Mauser Sporter?

Pirkan

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I found this gun for sale here in Sweden for roughly 400 usd. It's only listed as an "Oberndorf bolt action" and looks pretty reminiscent of some factory sporters I've seen but I'm also far from an expert in this field. Is it actually one or just made by some gunsmith? Unfortunately this is the only picture of it but if I might be able to ask the seller for more if it's needed.

Unfortunately there's a limit to how many guns we can own here and I'm obviously at that limit so I'm afraid I can't buy it even if it turns out to be something rare and expensive.

Screenshot_20240708_213414_Blocket.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like a typical surplus WW2 K98 that has been sporterized to some degree. If it has matching serial numbers (original looking stamps) on bolt and bolt parts, that would be a huge plus, IMO.

It looks like a typical surplus WW2 K98 that has been sporterized to some degree. If it has matching serial numbers (original looking stamps) on bolt and bolt parts, that would be a huge plus, IMO.
That's definetly possible although sporterised K98s have never been common here. I've asked the seller for pics of any markings in the hopes that someone more knowledgeable than I can use them to tell me something

I have a similar Mauser M98 which I think is originally a sporter that has been customised by Benedikt Winkler, Ferlach with engraving etc. It has the same number on all the parts and the opening lever on the magazine lid is similar to what I have seen on original Mauser Sporters. The open sights are also similar to the picture you have attatched aswell as the barrel ring sling swivel.

20240125_122858.jpg
20231227_121452.jpg
20231227_130915.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a similar Mauser M98 which I think is originally a sporter that has been customised by Benedikt Winkler, Ferlach with engraving etc. It has the same number on all the parts and the opening lever on the magazine lid is similar to what I have seen on original Mauser Sporters. The open sights are also similar to the picture you have attatched aswell as the barrel ring sling swivel.
Man, what a beautiful rifle
Congratulation
Not easy to see such a good example of pure Old World craftmanship
Caliber?

Get more photos - especially of the left wall and proof marks on the front ring and left of the barrel at the breech.
Looks like an Oberndorf TypeB.
I assume it does in fact have the bolt(?)

I found this gun for sale here in Sweden for roughly 400 usd. It's only listed as an "Oberndorf bolt action" and looks pretty reminiscent of some factory sporters I've seen but I'm also far from an expert in this field. Is it actually one or just made by some gunsmith? Unfortunately this is the only picture of it but if I might be able to ask the seller for more if it's needed.

Unfortunately there's a limit to how many guns we can own here and I'm obviously at that limit so I'm afraid I can't buy it even if it turns out to be something rare and expensive.

View attachment 618454

It could be a so called Zivilmauser, rifles that were built for the hunters by the Mauserwerken in Oberndorf until 1945. In this case it would be a rarity, but to be sure one need more than only one pictures. Otherwise there are a lot of old und newer rifles, sporterized surplus military rifles or custom rifles built with Mauser 98 bolt actions.

Get more photos - especially of the left wall and proof marks on the front ring and left of the barrel at the breech.
I assume it does in fact have the bolt(?)
I've asked for pictures of all markings but I'll probably get them next week since the guy is away from home for a while. It should have the bolt yes.

View attachment 618470View attachment 618471View attachment 618472
Wasn't the thumb cutout specific to military versions? Also, it appears the stripper clip slot was removed underneath the rear sight bridge. I could be wrong but I thought commercial mausers had solid rear ring?

I agree. Stripper clip slot pretty much confirms it was military surplus.

Wasn't the thumb cutout specific to military versions? Also, it appears the stripper clip slot was removed underneath the rear sight bridge. I could be wrong but I thought commercial mausers had solid rear ring?
It seems that the thumb cut was retained in the civilian Mausers, at least for a while.

Attachments

• Speed-OrigOberndorfM98SporterVariations.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
It has military style sights, round bridge, hole for ammo striper clip.
I think it is sporterised military mauser.

First thing I saw was the stripper clip guide. Military.

Attachments

• I Have This Old Gun: Mauser “Cigarette” Rifle | An Official Journal Of The NRA.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 11

Attachments

• Mauser Commercial Type B Bolt Action Sporting Rifle | Rock Island Auction.pdf
    317.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Mauser type B - 8x60S | DORLEAC & DORLEAC.pdf
    328.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Mauser type B – 10,75x68 | DORLEAC & DORLEAC.pdf
    406.7 KB · Views: 7
You guys are regurgitating the same old lines about military vs. civilian ‘98s!

Almost ALL of the original Oberndorf sporting rifles had thumb cuts, stripper clip guides and round actions.
The rear sight on this rifle was common on TypeB sporting rifles as well.
As I said, more photos will tell the tale.

Oberndorf Mauser Sporters took actions straight off the manufacturing line and built them as sporters. Most every "early" factory sporter I've ever seen has the thumb cut out and stripper clip lips.

I agree, it appears to be a Type B.

Like early Winchester lever guns, these factory Sporters could be ordered with a variety of options...sights, triggers, stocks, etc...

Ed Z

I'll get my reference book out and try to get some pictures posted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VelvaRancl

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.