Explora LT capped bullets

318AE

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Tanzania, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Namibia, RSA
I found this article interesting and thought others here might as well. I’ve seen vintage LT capped explora or paradox rounds, but did not know anyone was reviving those. Does anyone here have more insight?

They are made in Tasmania. I seriously doubt if they will be available commercially in the future because of cost implications. They are expensive and very time-consuming to make. A friend has shot a few of them for research purposes and the results are included in his book which will shortly be published.

I've handled a few of these, and they are very well made indeed. As the saying goes, they look like a million bucks and they cost a million bucks as well!

They are made in Tasmania. I seriously doubt if they will be available commercially in the future because of cost implications. They are expensive and very time-consuming to make. A friend has shot a few of them for research purposes and the results are included in his book which will shortly be published.

I've handled a few of these, and they are very well made indeed. As the saying goes, they look like a million bucks and they cost a million bucks as well!
They can look and cost like a million bucks, but let's not forget how they perform. Do they perform better than a modern Barnes TSX/TTSX, Swift A-Frame or Norma Oryx? Comparing a design that's more than 100 years old against modern technology is going to be an uphill battle. The article linked by @318AE is not much more than a sales brochure. If they want modern day hunters (the masses) to buy these, they need to perform to the level other bullets made in todays market.

Of course there will be a segment of the market that will want these. I would expect that segment to have not only the means to buy them, but the beautiful 100 plus year old firearms to shoot them. More of a display piece than a practical hunting piece of kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas1836

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?