Explora LT capped bullets

318AE

AH fanatic
Joined
Feb 5, 2019
Messages
760
Reaction score
2,831
Media
16
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Hunted
Tanzania, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Namibia, RSA
I found this article interesting and thought others here might as well. I’ve seen vintage LT capped explora or paradox rounds, but did not know anyone was reviving those. Does anyone here have more insight?

 
They are made in Tasmania. I seriously doubt if they will be available commercially in the future because of cost implications. They are expensive and very time-consuming to make. A friend has shot a few of them for research purposes and the results are included in his book which will shortly be published.

I've handled a few of these, and they are very well made indeed. As the saying goes, they look like a million bucks and they cost a million bucks as well!
 
They are made in Tasmania. I seriously doubt if they will be available commercially in the future because of cost implications. They are expensive and very time-consuming to make. A friend has shot a few of them for research purposes and the results are included in his book which will shortly be published.

I've handled a few of these, and they are very well made indeed. As the saying goes, they look like a million bucks and they cost a million bucks as well!
They can look and cost like a million bucks, but let's not forget how they perform. Do they perform better than a modern Barnes TSX/TTSX, Swift A-Frame or Norma Oryx? Comparing a design that's more than 100 years old against modern technology is going to be an uphill battle. The article linked by @318AE is not much more than a sales brochure. If they want modern day hunters (the masses) to buy these, they need to perform to the level other bullets made in todays market.

Of course there will be a segment of the market that will want these. I would expect that segment to have not only the means to buy them, but the beautiful 100 plus year old firearms to shoot them. More of a display piece than a practical hunting piece of kit.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,243
Messages
1,569,399
Members
168,682
Latest member
JohnWardA2026
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top