Engraving Examples on Bolt Rifles

If you have not gotten quotes on how much your engraving will cost, that may influence how much if any you get done. I have only contracted one engraving job. Requested quotes from 2 different engravers. One quote was half the price of the other, but I went with the more expensive engraver simply because I had seen a large amount of his work and knew the job would be done right.

Have a look at some of the rifles made by John Bolliger. Fine rifles with tasteful engravings.

An example of (deep large scroll?) and some bulino for the buffalo:

Hubert Vereecke 416 Rigby:

Image1671802500.247373.jpg
IMG_5140.JPG

IMG_5135.JPG

Example of fine scroll on a Dumoulin 7x64:

IMG_4417.JPG

IMG_4413.JPG

IMG_4408.JPG

IMG_4416.JPG

I really need to take some better quality pictures though…

I know what you mean. I suck at photography, and it really shows when I try to take pics of guns, particularly engraving!

Some general thoughts:

(1) Get the rifle serial number engraved on the trigger guard and highlighted in gold - it saves time going through customs. On my return from Africa in the summer, I had this done on all my rifles and was charged £20 (from memory) per rifle;

(2) Get an 'S' (or 'F') engraved on the safety. Paul Roberts has a story about being confronted with a charging elephant and, using an unfamiliar rifle, being unsure which way to flip the flag safety; and,

(3) My old father thought that it was vulgar to get the oval in the stock engraved with the owner's initials. It certainly reduces the resale value.

Some general thoughts:

(3) My old father thought that it was vulgar to get the oval in the stock engraved with the owner's initials. It certainly reduces the resale value.

This one I do not understand, it is literally what it is made for….

Or perhaps he found the idea of putting one’s name on anything to be of bad taste?

It does reduce the resale value, but can’t it also be replaced?

This is the grip cap on my Heym 88. The initials are of the original owner who perhaps now accompanies me and her on hunts.

This is from the son of the former owner:
"That double was my father’s. I hunted all over southern Africa with him. I videoed him harvesting a white Rhino in South Africa using that rifle. That double has also harvested numerous elephants and cape buffaloes in Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Botswana and Mozambique. It has also harvested one lion on a dry land tracking hunt in Botswana."

Thus far I have killed the following with her:
Lioness
Buffalo
Giraffe
Wildebeast
And I held her at the ready as the PH and I faced at under 20 yards a wall of six teenage bull elephants. We held steady for a good minute until another walked even closer to us from our rear. I watched that one sniff us with his trunk then run around us with the first six following him.

This double has history. The original owner's initials only enhance this rifle in my eyes. I, like he was, am only its caretaker until I pass. Then it will go to hopefully a new caretaker who will cherish it as much as I do.

Heym 18.jpg

I have noticed that most English people tend to leave the ovals blank. I am not sure what the reason is for considering it vulgar. One of my father's other observations was that gentlemen don't gallop, and I don't understand why not either!

@Mark A Ouellette - Why are the screw heads for the grip cap not pointing front to back? I've never seen a Heym that didn't have them perfectly aligned that way.

@Mark A Ouellette - Why are the screw heads for the grip cap not pointing front to back? I've never seen a Heym that didn't have them perfectly aligned that way.
Because as long as those screws are secure, they are the last thing I worry about.
I have had the gun "refreshed", as the British say, since that photo was taken. I am not however going to take a photo of its properly clocked screws just so you will sleep better.

Or, I could have said, "Darned if I know! They are tight and both clock at 11 o'clock. Maybe that's how the late owner had his personalized non-Heym grip cap made. Sorry, I do not know what the significance of 11 o'clock had to him"

Last edited:
Because as long as those screws are secure, they are the last thing I worry about.
I have had the gun "refreshed", as the British say, since that photo was taken. I am not however going to take a photo of its properly clocked screws just so you will sleep better.

Or, I could have said, "Darned if I know! They are tight and both clock at 11 o'clock. Maybe that's how the late owner had his personalized non-Heym grip cap made. Sorry, I do not know what the significance of 11 o'clock had to him"
I'm not sure what (if any) of your post is serious or if it's all scarcasm.

I was not my intention to get under your skin about something as trivial as grip cap screws. It just caught my attention, so I asked. Apologies if I had you vexed.

I'm not sure what (if any) of your post is serious or if it's all scarcasm.

I was not my intention to get under your skin about something as trivial as grip cap screws. It just caught my attention, so I asked. Apologies if I had you vexed.
Heck, no apology necessary. You "called me on the carpet" for "something as trivial" and I gave you a "ration of shxt" back at you.

In all seriousness, my Heym is a working gun. I went through my gun collecting period where properly clocked screws were so important.

My Heym had (past tense) an area on the barrels that was clearly from "Africa Carry" by the former owner. There, the bluing was nearly gone! I was a little bit proud of the wear on her. This October, I let my lion hunting PH handle her. Evidently whatever was on his hand took ALL the bluing off her barrels just ahead of the forend. I darn near cried! We were in the ultra-dry Kalahari in October. I didn't wipe her down with oil after that day. My bust....

Just because you are such a good sport, and a much respected contributor to this forum, here are a couple quick shots of my refreshed Heym. Don't dog me out about my photography skills. I gave up my photo studio for my step-daughter's room. The price of love!

Even though my Heym's screws are not perfect, like the screws in my head..., they do not warrant a screw driver getting anywhere near their engraving... "Do no harm" as her caretaker.

IMG_20221224_060301642_3.jpg

Not very clear, but notice that I had JJ Perodeau mill groves into the rib for an RMR quick release mount. I haven't re-installed the RMR since returning from her refresh.
IMG_20221224_060358035_3.jpg

Last edited:
Some general thoughts:

He would probably really hate my old colt then. Lol!
5380FCD6-65AE-4A51-A4FC-AFDE70F8CB9E.jpeg

I have long been of the opinion that it is almost impossible to be too anal about guns and accoutrements. My nephew was not satisfied with the brightness of the engraved caliber markings on a custom barrel--actually had the maker peen blast the letters matte, taking care not to molest the blueing! Theodore Roosevelt was said to spend much more time worrying over his buttplate than his license plate. (rifle vs car) These things are just so personal, that the smallest thing seems to evoke feelings and expressions like, "vulgar." Folks spend inordinate amounts of money to get exactly what they want, without deference to others sensibilities. It is an altogether pleasant madness...

I have long been of the opinion that it is almost impossible to be too anal about guns and accoutrements. My nephew was not satisfied with the brightness of the engraved caliber markings on a custom barrel--actually had the maker peen blast the letters matte, taking care not to molest the blueing! Theodore Roosevelt was said to spend much more time worrying over his buttplate than his license plate. (rifle vs car) These things are just so personal, that the smallest thing seems to evoke feelings and expressions like, "vulgar." Folks spend inordinate amounts of money to get exactly what they want, without deference to others sensibilities. It is an altogether pleasant madness...
I like your philosophy. I have spent about 30 years of my life looking twix the ears of a good cow horse. A cow puncher may be a little vein; but a man who takes pride in his tools, takes pride in his work.

a man who takes pride in his tools, takes pride in his work.

that's a lovely saying. Never heard it before, but very true in my experience.

This is the engraving for the pistol grip of my 400 H&H. There is no other engraving on the rifle. I debated having a cape buffalo or something, but I went with a North American animal, as that is where I am.

View attachment 507011
Wow, that came out well.

that's a lovely saying. Never heard it before, but very true in my experience.
An old cow puncher told me that when I was a kid. He had a years wage into his saddle. I asked him why he would spend so much, and that’s what he told me. I always remember that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smilelounge

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe
3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!