Engraving Examples on Bolt Rifles

uplander01

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zimbabwe,Namibia, Mozambique, Canada (BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Newfoundland, Oueen Charlette Isl), USA Rocky Mountain Region, Alaska
Hello All

Contemplating a bit of engraving on a Custom pre-64 M70 project I have going, its going to be re-barreled to 404 Jeffery. Wondering if some of the members here have examples of rifles you own or have had done that are tactfully executed. I'm thinking more accent border engraving for this rifle, but a game scene on the bottom metal would be cool too. Never had a single thing engraved ever. I've seen some pics on here before of some really good stuff, that of course a guy can't re-find when you want to. If nothing else it will lead to a thread that will have some great pics of some beautiful rifles. Thanks -

Just engrave the bolt knob only. The only other engraving that I like on a bolt action hunting rifle are words like Rigby, Westley Richards, Holland and Holland, and so on.

Attached is a photo of my 458 Lott M70 by Roger Beisen.

Beisen 458 Lott.JPG

Beisen rifles are awesome, have a friend that has a 375 that is absolutely beautiful. Agree on bolt handles.

Nice to see a fellow Michigan resident on here. Hope you're ready for the incoming storm.

Here are photos of a 375 H&H M70 by Jim Kobe
This October I shot a lioness, buffalo, giraffe, zebra, baboon, monkeys, kudu and and other game with her. I also shot an American bison with her.

Kobe5.jpg
Kobe8.jpg
Kobe1.jpg
Kobe10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That wood is something, as well as the 4 panel bolt knob checkering. When you talk to builders about checkering it doesn't take long to realize that executing that correctly to that level is extremely difficult.

Jim has done some Barrel work for me and also did my 375 to 404 conversion

Jim Kobe is active on a sister forum. Chances are he might build you one like mine posted above : )

Thats really nice accent engraving, and really cool caliber.

I have posted this gun previously. This is a custom M70 in 7x57. The engraving is by William V. Wild, H&H trained and now on the assessment panel for the Worshipful Order of Gunmakers. For me, this is the perfect balance of engraving and case hardening on a bolt gun.

Image1671734169.244377.jpg

Bolt knob, bottom metal, and grip cap engraving are very nice!
Oh, and scope rings.
I like the case hardening.

I agree 100%. Very nicely done.

This is a M98 375 HH I have that is one of my go to rifles. Sight work and and bolt knob both really good examples of some fine talent. I know who did the stock work and have a pretty good idea who did the metal but its not verifiable. I know one of the previous owners,....supposedly there is a matching 458 WM out there somewhere.

IMG_1856.jpg
IMG_1859.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a M98 375 HH I have that is one of my go to rifles. Sight work and and bolt knob both really good examples of some fine talent. I know who did the stock work and have a pretty good idea who did the metal but its not verifiable. I know one of the previous owners,....supposedly there is a matching 458 WM out there somewhere.
Nicely done! I like the checkered Safety knob/lever!

Superb wood and great proportion and form.
Kevin, she comes right up as a "proper" rifle should. With pillar and glass bedding and a floated barrel she will put a bunch of 300 gr Barnes TSX into an MOA all day long. Can't reasonably need much more than than on a lovely hunting rifle!

It is such a fine balance to adorn a rifle tastefully, too much and it gets really garish. An animal scene can be very pleasing, but any trees and bush must be in keeping with the animal or it looks silly. I recently saw a spectacular buffalo executed on a double rifle, but the trees looked like Japanese bonsai's - totally spoilt it.

This is the engraving for the pistol grip of my 400 H&H. There is no other engraving on the rifle. I debated having a cape buffalo or something, but I went with a North American animal, as that is where I am.

IMG_90201.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bayshooter

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe
3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!