English 450/400 Nitro Express Bolt Rifle For sale

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Selling off some additional guns including my Cogswell & Harrison Certus Rifle in 450/400 3-1/4" Nitro Express. British proofed for the standard 400gr bullet.

The Certus is one of the rarest English rifles ever made. They existed for only a couple years circa 1906. Here's a great article about them: https://www.countryclubuk.com/ci/ci76_rifles.pdf

This particular Certus is the finest example I've ever seen. (I've seen about a dozen) Cogswell & Harrison Gunmakers wanted one for their museum and bought one about ten years ago and it was in nowhere near as fine of condition. Good rifling. Good bluing. Nice wood. Nice engraving. Beautiful standing and folding sights. Magazine holds 3 plus one in the chamber. A comfortable lightweight rifle.

To paraphrase a legend: In his African Rifles and Cartridges, John "Pondoro" Taylor stated the 3¼-inch .450/400 NE was adequate for all African game in almost all conditions when used by an experienced hunter.

Dies, brass, bullets and loaded ammunition readily available from numerous sources.

Price options:

1.) Will sell the gun alone for $3800
2.) Will sell the gun and case now for $5000
3.) Will have the case reset to fit perfectly and will replace with the proper label for $5000 (and 5 weeks wait for case)

PM me or email dtroymoritz at gmail for more info. I also will likely be giving up a best grade 7x57 dakota with exhibition wood and a vintage rigby rifle in .303 in the coming days. Also my custom Kimber .404Jeff and a nice CZ550 in .375HH. (Taxidermy bills and another Africa trip!)

FullSizeRender[2].jpg
FullSizeRender[3].jpg
FullSizeRender[4].jpg
FullSizeRender[2].jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender[5].jpg
FullSizeRender[1].jpg
FullSizeRender[7].jpg
FullSizeRender[6].jpg

Attachments

• ci76_rifles.pdf
    343.8 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:
Wonderful rifle. Good luck with the sale!

Nice rifle Rookhawk, hope she finds a good home!
Cody

Rookhawk, you are always coming up with something out of the ordinary. I know the C and H brand but have never seen nor heard of this rifle. I also think it is it the first bolt gun I have heard of in 450/400. I have seen somewhere another rifle with the bolt handle placed far forward like this C and H does, but can't recall what or where it was!

Nice rifle and case!

Rookhawk, you are always coming up with something out of the ordinary. I know the C and H brand but have never seen nor heard of this rifle. I also think it is it the first bolt gun I have heard of in 450/400. I have seen somewhere another rifle with the bolt handle placed far forward like this C and H does, but can't recall what or where it was!

Thanks @sierraone my firearms tastes have been nothing if not "eclectic". I tried to own what a filthy rich aristocrat from Britain would have owned 100 years ago. Obviously times have changed and they are no longer aristocrat priced guns but the novelty and the honesty of hunting game with traditional weapons is my M.O.

As a bachelor with no non-hunting hobbies I was able to stockpile a fairly impressive collection of fine british arms from all the household names. Fast forward to my obsession with African safaris, mortgages, children and belt tightening and the net result is my collection is no longer 100+ strong.

You mentioned you saw another rifle with a forward positioned bolt somewhere. I'm quite sure it was a Mannlicher as they had such a configuration and were and are quite popular. Even the newer Blasers are somewhat reminiscent.

As to the Certus, it was a unique gun for its time. Rigby held the exclusive license on Mauser actions and each Brit firm was trying some way to provide Nitro guns to the masses. Cogswell & Harrison decided the best plan was to create a gun that would regulate with the same ammo as a double rifle so those on safari could have an affordable backup gun or so a middle class officer could hunt India and the Dark Continent affordably.

Unfortunately for the Certus, it didn't last as a gun because Rigby lost exclusivity to the Mauser action and in a couple short years everything was built on either Mauser or Enfield actions at much less cost.

That being said, where can you find an original 450/400 NE rifle made in London for these present costs? If it were a magnum mauser action the gun would be $15,000+ today for a nice example.

Here's some fun videos of another Certus (Don't know the person) firing theirs:

Last edited:
You really have some great rifles!

Hope it's sells fast! As it should.

Thanks @sierraone my firearms tastes have been nothing if not "eclectic". I tried to own what a filthy rich aristocrat from Britain would have owned 100 years ago. Obviously times have changed and they are no longer aristocrat priced guns but the novelty and the honesty of hunting game with traditional weapons is my M.O.

As a bachelor with no non-hunting hobbies I was able to stockpile a fairly impressive collection of fine british arms from all the household names. Fast forward to my obsession with African safaris, mortgages, children and belt tightening and the net result is my collection is no longer 100+ strong.

You mentioned you saw another rifle with a forward positioned bolt somewhere. I'm quite sure it was a Mannlicher as they had such a configuration and were and are quite popular. Even the newer Blasers are somewhat reminiscent.

As to the Certus, it was a unique gun for its time. Rigby held the exclusive license on Mauser actions and each Brit firm was trying some way to provide Nitro guns to the masses. Cogswell & Harrison decided the best plan was to create a gun that would regulate with the same ammo as a double rifle so those on safari could have an affordable backup gun or so a middle class officer could hunt India and the Dark Continent affordably.

Unfortunately for the Certus, it didn't last as a gun because Rigby lost exclusivity to the Mauser action and in a couple short years everything was built on either Mauser or Enfield actions at much less cost.

That being said, where can you find an original 450/400 NE rifle made in London for these present costs? If it were a magnum mauser action the gun would be $15,000+ today for a nice example.

Here's some fun videos of another Certus (Don't know the person) firing theirs:

I found the other gun I had seen with the forward bolt handle. It is a Webley and Scot .410 shotgun, I believe single shot. There are two of them on the Dig Hadoke Vintage Gun site on page 6. One is a De luxe model, one is standard. No comparison to your rifle for sale, but they have the forward bolt handle never the less.

You definitely have fine rifle tastes!(y) Beautiful!!!

Nice rifle, what are the stock LOP, Drop at comb and heel, and cast of?

How much have you shot this rifle? and any specific nuances?

Another great looking rifle @rookhawk! Best of luck with the sale, sounds like a great deal.

I'll look forward to seeing the other rifles you're planning on posting too!

Gun has been sent off for custom case. No longer available at the prices specified. It will be in a custom English leather case, two tiers with brass corners and its proper era makers label. (the shown case was for another C&H I didn't really want to part with) The gun will be $4500 firm at the point of return.

No idea what the drops and cast are. It was completely shootable dimensions with the 5-6 regulated sights. Length was quite reasonable, guessing 13.5"-13.75" or so as it didn't come up short. Nuances? It's a very rare, unique rifle so its idiosyncratic in its design.

Thanks for kicking the tires as always and good hunting.

What kind of groups does it shoot?

I've not done up loads for the gun. Rifling is good. Regulation on London guns is always good. Load is known. You should be able to buy woodleigh bullets, brass from several brands, and work up the load accordingly. I can have a load developed for $500 plus components using my British rifle guy if the buyer would prefer.

Since it has the cordite load it should be fairly easy to work up a load that regulates to the sights. I have a 450/400 double and a #1 in this caliber. I have also had good luck with Hawk bullets. I have a 15 1/8 LOP so would have to ad much thicker pad. will give it some thought as it is a very unique rifle.

Reach out to me if interested as I can have the case dimensions changed to fit the gun with a longer pad. They're cutting the case frame this week.

Beautiful rifle!! Have you tried Guns International. I've heard that they get more than 3 mil hits a day!!

Good luck

Run by a good friend, so yes I've heard of GI. Not my preference as a place to list. The mega dealers saturate the listings so it's hard to be seen. Most of the stuff is buyer beware so it creates a nervous and impersonal buyer. Lastly, half the contacts ask if you'll trade, and they are always really stupid trades at that.

Run by a good friend, so yes I've heard of GI. Not my preference as a place to list. The mega dealers saturate the listings so it's hard to be seen. Most of the stuff is buyer beware so it creates a nervous and impersonal buyer. Lastly, half the contacts ask if you'll trade, and they are always really stupid trades at that.
Unless GI has a special section for unique highly valued firearms, I concur with you to stay off. A good many Hollands and Westley Richards are commonly on the site. Expensive yes, unique no. My 2 cents! I'll trade you my 40 yr old 1100 for your Certus any time!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BenitoMurn

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg