Elk at 688 yards with a 243

I see the 308 brung up a few times. Maybe because that’s what our military snipers were issued and people think that’s a sniper round must be a great round. Most snipers hate the 308 and 50 bmg. They are not the best tool for long range shooting.
The king of 2 miles I don’t believe has never been won by a 50 bmg. And the 308 is so slow and lethargic that 1 mph of wind is a 9 inch difference at a 1’000 yards That is a miss. Military grade is not what most people think I’m told.

Actually in trap you get no bonus points or handicap shooting against a 12 gauge. Skeet has its own gauge classes. Trap does not. But if you choose to shoot a 410 against a 12 gauge you are a fool. But now you have switched to shotguns which doesn’t translate into rifles.

There have been several times that I couldn't have closed that kind of distance, and been unlikely to have a shot if I did. And I often describe myself as a bowhunter that has to use a rifle (shoulder won't let me draw my bow anymore). But I do agree that the 243 is questionable beyond 200yds on an elk.
As to the bad rap, that occurs because we hunt; with any weapon, for any animal.

This was typical when I hunted Ft Carson years ago. Looking at game on the next hill was easy, seeing it on the one I was standing, it had to be very close. If we had gotten my 300WM registered on post (she can't handle the recoil), rather than the 270Win, my longest shot on an elk would have been 720yds. 7am and dead calm, I could have hit him where I wanted with that 130gr bullet, but didn't take the shot because I did not think the bullet would be adequate at that distance. The 180gr from the 300WM would have, and I've shot both enough at distance to know I could have made that shot, in those conditions. If there had been any breeze, I wouldn't consider it with either caliber.

We have marmots. Let's see some of these guys come out here and climb to timberline to whack the mountain version of the groundhog :ROFLMAO:
And carry it out with their backpack! Ha! Ha! Ha! My ex neighbor went with me and our group once where we elk hunt. Well, he had injured his back a bit a few weeks before but nothing major. When we got up to our camp, I told my hunting buddy Jeff that if Bob's (yes, another Bob) back goes out, he might have to carry Bob out on his back. Jeff said, "To hell with that, I have a game cart and I'll haul him out on that". Bob called us ass*****, and fortunately we didn't have to carry Bob out.

Go with the 7 mm it’ll out do the 300’s past 600 yards with less recoil as John the guy in the video you originally showed proposes.
7PRC, 7mmRM or 7mm Weatherby? With a MASSIVE brake and ear muffs to match at those distances.

7mm rem mag with 168’s will out shine a 300 ultra mag with 180’s past 600 yards. With a lot less recoil.

Actually in trap you get no bonus points or handicap shooting against a 12 gauge. Skeet has its own gauge classes. Trap does not. But if you choose to shoot a 410 against a 12 gauge you are a fool. But now you have switched to shotguns which doesn’t translate into rifles.
Wow, I didn't know that with regards to trap. I just assumed different gauges were in different classes? Anyway, each bullet cartridge diameter (or similar) SHOULD have separate classes with recoil energy factored in for a handicap? A 6.5 Weatherby would have a handicap versus a 6.5 Creedmoor as an example. Bob's @Bob Nelson 35Whelen .25 Samurai wildcat would have a handicap versus a .25-06, etc. Same with a .300 REMINGTON ULTRA MAGNUM would have a LARGE handicap over a .300 SAVAGE. Golf, horseshoes and maybe hand grenades have handicaps, why not rifle competition shooting? LOL

I see the 308 brung up a few times. Maybe because that’s what our military snipers were issued and people think that’s a sniper round must be a great round. Most snipers hate the 308 and 50 bmg. They are not the best tool for long range shooting.
The king of 2 miles I don’t believe has never been won by a 50 bmg. And the 308 is so slow and lethargic that 1 mph of wind is a 9 inch difference at a 1’000 yards That is a miss. Military grade is not what most people think I’m told.

I mentioned a 308 inside of 300 yards. Like you would not be my first choice for long range. I have ran 308s at 1600 yards, just not ideal.

7mm rem mag with 168’s will out shine a 300 ultra mag with 180’s past 600 yards. With a lot less recoil.
Maybe true, but wouldn't matter with a big ass brake on either. The 7mm would feel like a .243 and the Ultra Mag like a .25-06. But I still don't think a 10x scope (NO BDC) would get it done at 600 yds for ME?

Wow, I didn't know that with regards to trap. I just assumed different gauges were in different classes? Anyway, each bullet cartridge diameter (or similar) SHOULD have separate classes with recoil energy factored in for a handicap? A 6.5 Weatherby would have a handicap versus a 6.5 Creedmoor as an example. Bob's @Bob Nelson 35Whelen .25 Samurai wildcat would have a handicap versus a .25-06, etc. Same with a .300 REMINGTON ULTRA MAGNUM would have a LARGE handicap over a .300 SAVAGE. Golf, horseshoes and maybe hand grenades have handicaps, why not rifle competition shooting? LOL

In PRS your limits are 22cal to 30cal speeds not to exceed 3200fps. I have ran 7WSM down to 223, when you have 90 sec to put 10 rds on target. You have to be able to recover from your shots and watch trace, impact on steel (which way the plate swings so you can center up better on target, and splash from a miss so you can make a correction.

You do have classes of guns like mil, stock, unlimited. Then you have mil, women, and Jr

As far as a 50, I'm guessing you have never shot one. I personally do not find them enjoyable to shoot.

Maybe true, but wouldn't matter with a big ass brake on either. The 7mm would feel like a .243 and the Ultra Mag like a .25-06. But I still don't think a 10x scope (NO BDC) would get it done at 600 yds for ME?

Recoil wise it might feel that way, blast not so much. The concussion from the blast...you will not enjoy. That's why I'm going to suppressors on everything I can.

In PRS your limits are 22cal to 30cal speeds not to exceed 3200fps. I have ran 7WSM down to 223, when you have 90 sec to put 10 rds on target. You have to be able to recover from your shots and watch trace, impact on steel (which way the plate swings so you can center up better on target, and splash from a miss so you can make a correction.

You do have classes of guns like mil, stock, unlimited. Then you have mil, women, and Jr

As far as a 50, I'm guessing you have never shot one. I personally do not find them enjoyable to shoot.
Very interesting. No, I've never shot a .50 anything except a muzzleloader. A .458 Lott and .416 Rigby is about it. Although, a 3" 12ga turkey load is right up there with those two. So, why wouldn't a competitor always use a .223 versus a 7WSM with the significantly less recoil (and thus recovery) while being in the same class? Are you trying to trick me? I'm not nearly as braindead as Brandon? LOL

Recoil wise it might feel that way, blast not so much. The concussion from the blast...you will not enjoy. That's why I'm going to suppressors on everything I can.
I don't know? My (actually my son's) Remington .300WM with a 26" barrel and brake has some blast but recoils like a .243. I don't own a rifle with a brake, but it was pleasant to shoot WITH earplugs. I'd buy a suppressor if/when one doesn't need a Class 3 stamp and spend more on the suppressor than most of my individual rifles?

I’ve killed many animals with a .243 with Barnes TTSX. Some, including PG, out to almost 400 yards. I’ve killed a few Elk with Berger hunting bullets out to 350 yards with my 300 RUM hunting rifle. With the same Berger bullets I’ve shot targets out to 2,000 Yards. Done in 2-3 shot progressive intervals starting at 400 yards. I’m fairly certain I could kill an Elk with my 300 RUM at a 1,000 yards, but I choose to get closer. As good of a shot that I know I am, I would not attempt an Elk with a .243. It’s just my preference not to take that kind of a chance at wounding an Elk. Elk are tough! They deserve a better effort…

Even though I enjoy practicing shooting long distance and I’m confident in my shooting and ethical killing of animals, I also enjoy getting as close as possible! That’s hunting for me… On my recent Elk hunt to NM, I, along with my guide, were able to get within 15’ of Bull Elk! More than once. That is pretty special. Exciting and nerve racking, but very special…And it takes a special effort to get that close with a lot of walking and stalking over 5 days. I was 15’ feet away, on the other side of a bushy pine, from the Elk I took. Of course he winded us after close to a minute of us standing with me on the sticks, holding our breath, and starring at his legs… Then he ran away through the trees and across a meadow in to another section of trees160 yards away. The guide, from across the meadow, called him back to the edge of the trees he disappeared in with a few good bugle calls. We stood on the edge of the tree line, me on the sticks for another eternity, while he stared at us, staring at him… Frontal shot was not the safe shot, but that’s all he was presenting. He finally turned broadside and I took him with a scoped muzzle loader across a meadow at 160 yards. He went about 50 yards and went down. One of my most rewarding hunts.

300 RUM
IMG_5321.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't know? My (actually my son's) Remington .300WM with a 26" barrel and brake has some blast but recoils like a .243. I don't own a rifle with a brake, but it was pleasant to shoot WITH earplugs. I'd buy a suppressor if/when one doesn't need a Class 3 stamp and spend more on the suppressor than most of my individual rifles?

I'm not sure the brake that was on his rifle or how many times you shot it. In a match setting you can plan on 80-100 a day (PRS style)

I believe your view of a suppressor is a little skewed. You are paying for a tax stamp, they are not machine guns. The tax is BS, like anything else you can choose to pass or pay it. You can buy quality suppressors for 600.00 and find deals for less. I went from owning none to 12 in a year. It was that big of a difference for me.

Very interesting. No, I've never shot a .50 anything except a muzzleloader. A .458 Lott and .416 Rigby is about it. Although, a 3" 12ga turkey load is right up there with those two. So, why wouldn't a competitor always use a .223 versus a 7WSM with the significantly less recoil (and thus recovery) while being in the same class? Are you trying to trick me? I'm not nearly as braindead as Brandon? LOL

No tricks, several guys that know their rifle in 223 kick ass at matches. The guys at the top are shooting 6mm (br, bra, brx, Dasher, 6cm, 6gt, 6xc). They goal is to cut the wind and recoil shoft enough that when shooting off of a barricade they can watch trace. In comps bigger is not always better, it is a balance.

Some things that can be done, should not be done and this is a prime example of such. Irresponsible stunt, nothing more.

Completely agree..

Great shot..

But not one I would make (especially with a .243.. on something like an elk....)... or that I would ever encourage anyone else to make.. capable shooter or not..
I once heard a definition of integrity as “integrity what you do when no one is looking”.
The I read referring to long distant “hunting”. I have made shots like that before, but it is not a good idea to post pictures making the shots.

My question is which person do we rate the highest as to integrety?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DomenicTur

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?