Eland Cartridges for recoil sensitive shooter?

Like Lapman over the decades have taken a half dozen Eland. All were one shot kills, four dropped to the shot while using a 300 Win Mag. Two only staggered a couple steps then went down. For one using a 338 Win Mag and the other, a Lord Darby, while using a borrowed 375 H & H. I would not hesitate using an 06 With a big bullet. I do not take high risk shots.
might add, I am not very big, five feet eight inches and 145 pounds. Oh, and 85 years old

Last edited:
I would recommend that he use a .30/06 or a .300 mag with a can and very good, deep penetrating, bullets like a 180g barnes tsx or ttsx.

Or, just work with him until he can make very accurate shots off of sticks and just continue to use the 6.5 CM with 140g Nosler Partitions or heavy Barnes bullets like the tsx and get your PH to get him as close as possible. Double-lung him, and your son will have collected an eland.

My boy is quite thin and recoil shy. He is currently shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor. I have been willing to let him hunt elk with it (he hasn’t harvested one yet), but it wouldn’t be my first choice. Now we are in the early stages of planning a Namibia or SA hunt. I’m on a quest to complete the tiny ten, but he really wants an Eland.

Without getting into the rifle weight or other recoil mitigation efforts, what are the lowest recoiling cartridges we should be looking at for Eland? I don’t know where exactly we will be hunting yet, but I Id like to have him shooting something that can ethically be expected to dispatch an eland at reasonably distance.
Curious as to how many African safaris has the youngster been on and how many PG has he taken?

My boy is quite thin and recoil shy. He is currently shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor. I have been willing to let him hunt elk with it (he hasn’t harvested one yet), but it wouldn’t be my first choice. Now we are in the early stages of planning a Namibia or SA hunt. I’m on a quest to complete the tiny ten, but he really wants an Eland.

Without getting into the rifle weight or other recoil mitigation efforts, what are the lowest recoiling cartridges we should be looking at for Eland? I don’t know where exactly we will be hunting yet, but I Id like to have him shooting something that can ethically be expected to dispatch an eland at reasonably distance.
Get him a past recoil shield and proper fitting firearm and he will do quite well with a 308, 7x57, 7mm08 or 30-06

It's gone 2am and I'll probably regret the following rant...

You have a shooter who is on the light side and a little recoil shy...

What you can use is something from .270 (on the light side) to a 30.06 or a variation thereof.

People who are not listening to your parameters are just trying to push their own preferences.

6.5 is a little light unless you use it as a bayonet. .300 WM is going to kick unless you have the can and super dooper pad and mercury recoil thingy majig.

You want penetration without recoil. Punch without kick.

7x57

Premium bullets. Close enough. Bullet placement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious as to how many African safaris has the youngster been on and how many PG has he taken?
He has not been to Africa. Myself only once to Mozambique, so I am no expert either. As we talked about a PG trip to Namibia or SA (I want to complete my tiny ten) he has made it very clear he really wants to hunt Eland. I didn't have the heart or a good reason to discourage him, so I told him he might have to step up a notch in caliber and that if he practices enough off sticks at the range we can try. I felt it was a good goal/ incentive.

He has not been to Africa. Myself only once to Mozambique, so I am no expert either. As we talked about a PG trip to Namibia or SA (I want to complete my tiny ten) he has made it very clear he really wants to hunt Eland. I didn't have the heart or a good reason to discourage him, so I told him he might have to step up a notch in caliber and that if he practices enough off sticks at the range we can try. I felt it was a good goal/ incentive.
I for one commend you! A kid needs support and encouragement. As well as discipline, training, and the ability to make a few mistakes;)

I envy you that you have a son wanting to go hunt Africa with you:)

One option would be to practice on the sticks with a lighter recoiling rifle like a .223 or 6mm of some stripe, then work his way up through the 6.5 and then something larger, i.e. small steps at a time, all off the sticks and limit or stay away from bench work. In other words, ease in to it.

Edit: Even shooting a .22 LR or 17 HMR off the sticks is good practice. I use Rudolph sticks and shoot my 10/22 at clay birds staggered at different distances out to 100 meters as fast as I can. Makes for good muscle memory on them.

I took a .243 for my girls who are super recoil sensitive. They were shooting impala not Eland. The real game changer was the suppressor. I had a friend buy one for me in SA with the correct thread adapter. It worked like a charm. No reason you couldn’t do the same thing with a .308 and have a low recoil eland solution.
IMG_5161.jpeg

I recommend finding the source of the recoil sensitivity and training through it if possible. If that doesn’t work, get a suppressor. Avoid muzzle brakes at all costs.
Good advice. Yes, avoid a brake!! Yes, a suppressor is a very good alternative! Maybe a suppressed 30-06 shooting a good tough 180 gr bullet. Keep the shots at reasonable range. Suppressors are very common in Africa, especially in RSA. See if something like that may be available from the PH or outfitter to use for eland. Allow for enough time and ammo after arriving for the young shooter to get used to any borrowed rifle. Just thinking out loud here. The young hunter needs assistance but if he hits an eland and loses it or it requires the PH to finish it off because of flinching or not using enough gun or not shooting with confidence and the shot goes south for any number of reasons.... the stigma will last forever.

I took a .243 for my girls who are super recoil sensitive. They were shooting impala not Eland. The real game changer was the suppressor. I had a friend buy one for me in SA with the correct thread adapter. It worked like a charm. No reason you couldn’t do the same thing with a .308 and have a low recoil eland solution. View attachment 572503
Just curious what a suppressor cost there? I’d consider this option with certain outfitters. I’ve always wanted a suppressor but never wanted the hassle on US side.

Just curious what a suppressor cost there? I’d consider this option with certain outfitters. I’ve always wanted a suppressor but never wanted the hassle on US side.
If I recall it was under 500 USD for a nice Swedish made suppressor. I left mine with my friend who is an outfitter. It will be there when I need it , and I don’t mind if he lets others borrow it.

If I was an outfitter I would have several camp suppressors to loan out.

Also just go ahead and bite the bullet and get some cans at home. I’m completely spoiled now. With places like silencer shop it has never been easier.

I envy you that you have a son wanting to go hunt Africa with you:)
It is wonderful to be able to have thoughtful discussions and noncombative dialog . I think it is the only safe subject these days. I found it interesting to see him and his twin sister just totally reverse roles right about 11. I have raised them pretty much the same. Same expectations to be able to handle certain situations (fix something, self-defense, etc). The girl always talked about going hunting with me, boy didn’t want to get his hands dirty and could care less about hunting. Then suddenly she (very reluctantly, was worried about disappointing me) told me she just didn’t want to hunt anymore (too stressful, too much of an emotional roller coaster). Out of the blue the boy said he wanted to tag along with me to Wyoming on a pronghorn hunt. Couldn’t believe he was willing to help me butcher, pack and totally dove in. I am so grateful he enjoys hunting together and the girl still enjoys fishing, shooting and the outdoors outside of hunting. It is indescribable to be able to share this appreciation for the outdoors.

One option would be to practice on the sticks with a lighter recoiling rifle like a .223 or 6mm of some stripe, then work his way up through the 6.5 and then something larger, i.e. small steps at a time, all off the sticks and limit or stay away from bench work. In other words, ease in to it.

Edit: Even shooting a .22 LR or 17 HMR off the sticks is good practice. I use Rudolph sticks and shoot my 10/22 at clay birds staggered at different distances out to 100 meters as fast as I can. Makes for good muscle memory on them.
I am just now learning the importance of shooting off sticks. I started practicing last year to prepare for my first African hunt. I shot pretty well in Moz, but I never really got to the point of real comfort off the sticks. In fact, I hopped of the sticks and shot freehand or kneeling several times.

I realized I taught the kids to shoot pretty much the same way I was taught in the Marine Corps, sitting, kneeling, standing and prone. My personal preference is to get in the prone if at all possible, and I think I kind of pushed that on them in the beginning. Shooting in the prone is my go-to method, but I definitely noticed they enjoy off the sticks much more. It only makes sense.

I am just now learning the importance of shooting off sticks. I started practicing last year to prepare for my first African hunt. I shot pretty well in Moz, but I never really got to the point of real comfort off the sticks. In fact, I hopped of the sticks and shot freehand or kneeling several times.

I realized I taught the kids to shoot pretty much the same way I was taught in the Marine Corps, sitting, kneeling, standing and prone. My personal preference is to get in the prone if at all possible, and I think I kind of pushed that on them in the beginning. Shooting in the prone is my go-to method, but I definitely noticed they enjoy off the sticks much more. It only makes sense.
Shooting prone is desirable but really requires ideal conditions. Almost any amount of grass or uphill target can make prone shot impossible. Bipod is great for prone position but not great to carry the things. Throws the gun way out of balance! Never cared for the sitting position but I have used it effectively. It usually takes too much time to get situated. However, I did shoot a big buck fairly quickly from sitting position this year. I have shot most of my game in sixty years hunting from offhand standing. Never used sticks till I went to Africa. They work well for those conditions and that style of hunting. Personally, I do not like quad sticks, although I would recommend them for OP's boy.

IMG_2746.jpeg
IMG_1404.jpeg
IMG_1403.jpeg

Both my son & I have successfully downed quite a few eland & kudu bulls over the years with .30-06 Springfield & 7x57mm Mauser caliber rifles. The recoil of neither caliber is unpleasant, although it’s certainly more noticeable in the .30-06 Springfield.

It must be borne in mind that when hunting these largest of African antelope with calibers smaller than .338 Win Mag, shot placement becomes extremely critical. In the .30-06 Springfield, my favorite eland bullet (with which I enjoyed the most success over the years) is the old fashioned 220Gr Remington Core Lokt (even though it’s certainly not the most modern bullet design around). 220Gr Sako Hammerheads make for an excellent choice, as well.

In a 7x57mm Mauser, my greatest success was with the now unfortunately discontinued Winchester Super-X 175Gr soft point. My current personal preference is for Speer Grand Slam 175Gr soft points custom loaded by Hendershots Custom Ammunition. But bonded bullets are even better yet, especially when the point of aim is directed at the heavy shoulder bone/scapula itself (when the bullet will be required to hold together well so that it can break through this bone and reach the heart-lung region). 170Gr Rhino solid shanks or 177Gr Wim Degol Star Mantel bullets are excellent choices in this regard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thanpan

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia