Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, GSCO
Hunted
Saskatchewan, South Africa, Zimbabwe, 30 US states and counting
Just got notice from WTA tags that I drew it after 2 years of applying. I wasn’t ready for it! I’ve got a lot to do to prep for this one. Gun and load are the easy part!

Congrats! Have you picked an outfitter/guide yet? Good luck with the prep and hunt!

9F3FBC09-BEAF-4111-AF6E-1B30E8DB0349.jpeg

Congratulations on your Kodiak mountain goat tag. Here is my DG474 billy from a few years ago. Bring good rain gear. You will have a great time. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

Good for you! Sounds like an "adventure" in the making! Good luck, and looking forward to following along with you!

Buy good raingear. Bring a 2nd set.

Which area?

Congratulations!!

I'm finding out which area but don't know yet. I was told it was close to Kodiak itself. I will post here when I learn more.

I know it's wet out there. I was thinking of upgrading my rain gear to something like the Kuiu Yukon series (parka and pants)? Any other rain gear recommendations or gear recommendations from those who have done this? Any little tricks you learned along the way?

Congrats! Not big on mountain goats myself, but would love to go after blacktail there. Seems like an awesome place no matter what you are going after.

Those or the Stone Glacier M5/M7 set.

I'm finding out which area but don't know yet. I was told it was close to Kodiak itself. I will post here when I learn more.

I know it's wet out there. I was thinking of upgrading my rain gear to something like the Kuiu Yukon series (parka and pants)? Any other rain gear recommendations or gear recommendations from those who have done this? Any little tricks you learned along the way?

Congrats on the tag. I’ve applied the last couple of years through WTA, I haven’t drawn yet. Hopefully next year. Good luck on your hunt and I’ll be following closely and looking forward to following along with your preparation and hunt report.

I was going to hunt Kodiak for goats last year for the first time in my life (DIY, OTC tags) but my hunting buddy moved to MN.

I have a co-worker that is gung-ho to go so I am planning on being there this fall myself, at the southern end. It has a two goat limit. I am beyond excited.

@Green Chile ... Best of wishes sir. Planning is a big part of the fun.

I wanna bow hunt goat in the future . Not sure when I can stop thinking about africa Africa hunts though

Helly Hansen Impertech.
The further east you are on the island, the wetter it is.

Congrats! Not big on mountain goats myself, but would love to go after blacktail there. Seems like an awesome place no matter what you are going after.

we did blacktail on Kodiak a few years back... was a great experience.. every hunter in camp was successful while we were there.. it was a semi-guided hunt.. the guide basically dropped you off on the shore and gave some advice about how much elevation you needed to gain up the side of the particular hill/mountain you were at and some thoughts on where the bucks might be..

we also hunted sea ducks on the same trip...

these guys are a little pricey.. but well worth it.. they took great care of us... boats were in great shape.. the food was excellent.. lodge was nice (nothing compared to most South African lodges.. but a step up from most Alaskan fishing/hunting lodges we've seen).. staff was super friendly and helpful.. etc..

FWIW George Strait was coming in shortly after we left to do a bear hunt with them.. I figure if its good enough for King George.. its good enough for me.. :)

Yea sea ducks...the bad part about going early (Aug) is no ducks in season yet. Maybe we can watch the bears.

Never hunted goats but lots if time in similar conditions (rain, rain).

You probably know this but just in case... No rain gear is perfect. Most WPB (waterproof breathable) fabrics will eventually "wet out" or leak slightly. If the DWR (durable water repellent) layer wears off performance goes down. This has been extensively researched and discussed on an light backpacking site.

So, protect your rain gear from abrasion as much as possible. I carry a light windbreaker. I wear that until it starts to rain. This puts less wear and tear on the rain gear.
Even with perfect rain gear you eventually get a bit soggy from condensation and water working in from your sleeves and face. I always have a fleece to wear during the day. I have enough camp insulation that I can do without the fleece in the evening (it will probably be soggy).

Make sure your boots have good traction on wet rocks and mud. I had a pair of Obitz on a bear hunt and kept falling. Son was fine in hand me down mountain boots from grandpa. I bought new boots on the way home and couldn't believe how much more sure footed I felt.

Hi Green Chiles, Congrats on your Mt. Goat Draw. I've tried 3 times with no luck. I've hunted Brown Bear on Kodiak with Frank Bishop (Alaska Wildlife Adventures). See pic next to my name. He also does Mt. Goats that's why I've been trying to draw a tag. He's a Master Guide, 35+ years, and has a couple of asst. guides that are top-notch as well (John & Forrest). I highly recommend him and he's reasonably priced. Give him a call at 907-942-7632 and tell him I sent you. I've seen lots of Goats in his areas!!!

Good Luck and let me know how you make out.

PS: Good raingear is a must and get in the best shape you can....

Hello Green Chile,

Yes, Congrats on drawing the goat tag.
Yours Truly has lived in Alaska a tic over 40 years and I’ve hunted deer many times on both Kodiak Island and Afognak island, as well as our smaller islands, up and down the coast.

Although I have to confess that, I’ve never hunted mountain goat, (only Spanish goat on Hawaii), I can promise you that as others have already said, you will very likely need best quality rain gear on Kodiak.
I like Helly Hansen and I like Filson waxed canvas rain gear as well.
Wax canvas will stand a lot more physical abuse (scraps, scratches, stick pokes, etc.)
However, it is essentially too heavy to wear while climbing steep mountains.
So, there’s that.

Speaking of rain gear, my favorite boots for coastal Alaska (rain, fog and snow) while deer hunting here, are the LaCrosse brand “Burley” model, knee high rubber pull-on type, with the “air-bob” soles (rows and rows of rubber “bullet tips” on soles and heels).
I like the non-insulated ones and I just wear good socks.
When my socks get damp from sweating, I can just change them for dry ones.
Insulation in rubber boots becomes rancid within a few days of trekking through rough geography.

As for climbing up and down our wet, mossy cliffs for goat, I will say that there are likely better boots than mine available for same.
If I were young again (if a frog had wings) and was planning a Kodiak goat hunt, I would definitely buy a pair of top quality, water proof boots, that are designed for mountain climbing and could be laced down snug around my feet, ankles and calves.
Also, I would chose ones with tall tops (not the more popular ankle height ones).
Then, I would get busy wearing them to seriously train in, toward my mountain hunting plans.

You mentioned “tricks” for this sort of hunt.
Bring some extra pairs of 100% cotton socks, each pair in it’s own separate zip lock, quart size, freezer grade, food storage bag.
Bring an artist’s type paint brush (inch wide + or -) and cut the handle short.
A ladies makeup face powder brush also works well for this and already has a short handle.
In the event it doesn’t rain, the brush is very handy to keep your optics lenses free of dust, spruce needles and such, without scratching the lens coating.

I don’t know where to get plastic film canisters any more but, I always carry a pull-through bore oiler in one.
No doubt the internet would yield a source for some various small, water tight, sturdy, plastic containers of some description.
My pull-through is made from a tiny fishing sinker, a length of thin but super strong line and a tuft of stout cloth, impregnated with a little bit of Vaseline).

100 pound test braided fishing line (locally known as “halibut line” around here), is what works well but there are other strong thin lines which are suitable no doubt.
Upon firing a shot, of course your rifle bore becomes instantly set upon with invading moisture.
I have seen even stainless steel barrels with specks of rust in the rifling, from the owner failing to swab it after firing a shot in wet weather.

Parting Shot, as it were:

More Alaska hunters are killed while hunting mountain goat than all others combined up here.
Most are due to falling and some are due to heart attack.
So, please do be careful, as no goat stew is worth dying for.

Anyway, I’ve rambled on too long already so, now I will stop.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buck Africa

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well