Double rifles aren't just for Africa

Today, my .405 Winchester double, driven hunt, ready for action.....
20231118_094401.jpg

HWL

Beretta 689E come up on the usual sites in 06 and 9.3 all the time, including now. Occasionally you'll see a Browning in 06.

Everyone is fascinated by my Blaser BBFs in 9.3, 06, hornet and 20G but it's the most versatile kit I have. The R8 Typically gets the nod but that is because 375 is my best caliber.

This thread makes me want to take my double out to hunt deer or bear! The thing that has always stopped me in the past has been the rain. It's almost always raining during modern season here.

-Matt
Thanks Matt for your post. It allows me to ask this question of the forum.

I am interested in taking my VC 470 to Alaska to hunt coastal Brown bears. What are suggestions from the forum for protecting a traditional wood and steel rifle in such an environment?

Field strip and oil barrels and stock every night and morning. I’ve never had issues.

That is an interesting quandary. I guess the smart thing would be to get the extra K gun barrels, but then if something in your action breaks you are completely out of business. If you had an entire extra rifle in 9.3x74 at least you could still hunt. That is a tough one.

I would not call the a tough one. No one wants to think about selling a rifle. In the event you needed to. You would be able to sell one or the other. Leaving you one to hunt with or sell by itself. You might have to wait for the right person to come along to get what you have invested in both barrel sets. They will be married to that reciever. Just my .02

You’re making me want to buy a smaller double myself now

I am interested in taking my VC 470 to Alaska to hunt coastal Brown bears. What are suggestions from the forum for protecting a traditional wood and steel rifle in such an environment?
I don’t own a double yet. But I have hunted coastal brown bears in Alaska. My hunt was tent based and it rained and rained and rained. But some days it just poured. I used a Blaser R8. It held up well. I would not take a timber stocked blued steel rifle if I was worried about its looks.

Dragging a heavy rifle up and down mountains, through alders, trying to keep it dry and away from the occasional salt spray would be a rather character building experience. The last thing I’d want to do at night is worry about trying to dry out my rifle. My Blaser didn’t even get to sniff an oily rag on the trip. The synthetic stock survived with only a few extra beauty marks. The metal work remains unblemished.

IMO would and steel and the Alaskan coast do not go together.

AK is an even wetter version of WA, I would not hunt there with any gun that I was remotely worried about damage/rust.

-Matt

Well; when I posted this, about 6 hours ago, I didn’t own a double. Now I do :ROFLMAO:

I don’t own a double yet. But I have hunted coastal brown bears in Alaska. My hunt was tent based and it rained and rained and rained. But some days it just poured. I used a Blaser R8. It held up well. I would not take a timber stocked blued steel rifle if I was worried about its looks.

Dragging a heavy rifle up and down mountains, through alders, trying to keep it dry and away from the occasional salt spray would be a rather character building experience. The last thing I’d want to do at night is worry about trying to dry out my rifle. My Blaser didn’t even get to sniff an oily rag on the trip. The synthetic stock survived with only a few extra beauty marks. The metal work remains unblemished.

IMO would and steel and the Alaskan coast do not go together.

IMG_5942.jpeg
IMG_5943.jpeg
IMG_5940.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have anything useful to add, except I admire doubles and use mine for hunting at home as well as abroad. My Merkel 140AE .450-400 3" has successfully hunted cape buffalo in Namibia, but also elk and moose at home in Saskatchewan. My Beretta O/U 9.3x74R has shot two black bears to date, and is still waiting to be used on its first African safari.
IMG_0465.jpeg

I was at a friend's club and became an observer to a conversation taking place in the parking lot where a number of club members were gathered. A gentleman was showing off a double rifle he had made from what I believe was a .410 or 28Ga SxS shotgun frame. If memory serves it was a .243. He was saying "find yourself a sub-gauge SxS and I'll make you any caliber you want, or O/U for that matter". (I imagine for a larger caliber maybe a 12 or 20 Ga would be appropriate?). His work was visually stunning with some really nice engraving, I have no idea how they shoot, but the idea was intriguing. I guess some like the big names but ... it would be a one of a kind item.
Anyone have any experience with something like this?

There was a highly skilled gunsmith in Canada, Nick Makinson. Before is death he was known for converting Browning BSS 20 ga. shotguns into very nice double rifles. I have had work on my double guns done by Nick, he was a precision craftsman and an artist. But I have no personal experience with his shotgun-rifle conversion.

Hamms?!?

Absolutely. $5.89 for a six pack of tall boys at the local quick mart. Every dollar counts when you're saving for that next hunt :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
But that doesn't even qualify as beer :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthaMcCl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.