Double rifles aren't just for Africa

@Backyardsniper

What kind of red dot scope do you have mounted on your Kriegoff DR? And how is it mounted?
20231114_171122.jpg

@Backyardsniper have you thought about getting a second set of barrels for it in another caliber?
Considering it. Debating on getting barrels for this one or just getting a whole other DR. I like the idea of some 375 barrel or maybe 30/06 gor this one. I would probably go 375 just so um covered if I happened to want to shoot some DG or the bigger PG

The best hunt here in US with an open sight double might be stalking a nilgai imho.
I might try doing it at least for a day and before switching to a scoped bolt action rifle if unsuccesfull.
I wonder if anybody tried it?

I checked with Krieghoff and they will make you a set of barrels. the cost was about the same as a new Chapuis 9.3x74

I checked with Krieghoff and they will make you a set of barrels. the cost was about the same as a new Chapuis 9.3x74
That is an interesting quandary. I guess the smart thing would be to get the extra K gun barrels, but then if something in your action breaks you are completely out of business. If you had an entire extra rifle in 9.3x74 at least you could still hunt. That is a tough one.

People often claim the big bores are "overkill" for most North American game. I pesonally belive you cannot kill something too dead. Dead is dead. My 404 might be my favorite coyote gun even though I've only ever killed one with it, and it often gets taken out for pigs.

A 9.3x74 DR would be perfect for a NA game
I agree! And I think @NTO just sold a very nice English double in 9.3x74. I was pissed at myself as I did not see that post until the day it sold...I would have bought it for the price he was offering...that was a good buy on a nice old English double. Someone is going to have a very nice double to hunt with.

If you are in Europe, and you can live with an over&under, this might be the ticket:

Attachments

• HOLTS Auctioneers.pdf
    473.8 KB · Views: 60
My favorite part of the post was the assertion the deer when down "as if they'd be pole-axed." You think? I was thinking perhaps you were a bit under gunned.... ;-)

I would definitely get a new double in a small frame, light and swingable. I will have the opportunity to shoot the Heym 89b light frame this June in 375 Flanged, I can’t wait.
There was, now retired importer, loved the 375 Flanged.
that would complement the 89, nicely.

Considering it. Debating on getting barrels for this one or just getting a whole other DR. I like the idea of some 375 barrel or maybe 30/06 gor this one. I would probably go 375 just so um covered if I happened to want to shoot some DG or the bigger PG
I agree a 375 just gives you a more versatile rifle .

I think most double rifles were not made for Africa at all. My bigger calibres are all ex India . My light double a 303 was made for deer stalking in Scotland . I flattened a doe with it in early October at 130 yards . I also wouldn’t hesitate to use a 375 H&H on red deer and larger . Also great fun on pigs .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthaMcCl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.