Double rifles aren't just for Africa

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have heard a lot of people say, "I just can't justify spending that much on a rifle I'm only gonna use for one trip" Why? Why just one trip? I understand it is not for everyone, but with some practice, a double rifle can be employed in lots of hunts. I have been running the ballistics on the 470 and with a rifle that is capable of proper accuracy I feel like it is a solid 150 yard gun, and maybe 200 in some cases. I had the opportunity to test my theory today. The results were
1 buck at 135 yards, 1 doe at 77 yards, and
1 doe at 65 yards. All one shot kills, the shot on the buck was a touch back, I think that was me possibly, but it was still a clean one shot kill he ran about 50 yards and piled up. It pole axed both of the doe, they didn't even kick
20231114_180337.jpg
20231114_171122.jpg
20231114_170024.jpg

Nice buck! Looks like a very busy and productive day!
My 9.3x74R Chapuis will be headed to the mountains again elk hunting next week. It's already slain 3 prairie dogs at 140-170 yards. Missed a running coyote with it last year, lol. Farthest I've taken it out to is 225 yards. 6 shots on a piece of osb about 8" wide off a set of Gunstix. Doubles can be very accurate.

After today I am now extremely interested in the Idea of a smaller caliber double.
I leave for Arkansas Friday with a buddy of mine. We are going to hunt deer with dogs, which I have never done, but I'm taking the old 470 on this little adventure too.
On the subject of getting a smaller caliber DR I don't know if I would get a new set of barrels made for the Kreighoff or if I should buy a different rifle all together?

How small a caliber? If you went down to the 7x65R, the balance would probably be odd with the frame of your 470. But a set of 9.3x74R might work, with a noticeable drop in recoil, lol. One of the nice things about the non-DG chambered DRs is they typically can be found at a much lower price point. Might be less out of pocket to just find a complete rifle, than having a set of barrels made.

Well done. I’m a fan of the smaller doubles, with a 318 and a 280. Before the NE era, most of the BPE doubles made were actually “deer rifles”. While thought of as dangerous game implements today, they are actually just a sporting arm (vs military arm) since inception.

I have heard a lot of people say, "I just can't justify spending that much on a rifle I'm only gonna use for one trip" Why? Why just one trip? I understand it is not for everyone, but with some practice, a double rifle can be employed in lots of hunts. I have been running the ballistics on the 470 and with a rifle that is capable of proper accuracy I feel like it is a solid 150 yard gun, and maybe 200 in some cases. I had the opportunity to test my theory today. The results were
1 buck at 135 yards, 1 doe at 77 yards, and
1 doe at 65 yards. All one shot kills, the shot on the buck was a touch back, I think that was me possibly, but it was still a clean one shot kill he ran about 50 yards and piled up. It pole axed both of the doe, they didn't even kickView attachment 569467View attachment 569468View attachment 569469
Nice going.

Nice going! I agree, the double rifle, especially with a red dot sight, can be used out to about 150 yards. I think I am going to try and find a hog hunt here in Texas that I can do with my double. Kind of practice before I go on a ele/buffalo hunt in Zim next year.

This thread makes me want to take my double out to hunt deer or bear! The thing that has always stopped me in the past has been the rain. It's almost always raining during modern season here.

-Matt

After today I am now extremely interested in the Idea of a smaller caliber double.
I leave for Arkansas Friday with a buddy of mine. We are going to hunt deer with dogs, which I have never done, but I'm taking the old 470 on this little adventure too.
On the subject of getting a smaller caliber DR I don't know if I would get a new set of barrels made for the Kreighoff or if I should buy a different rifle all together?
I would definitely get a new double in a small frame, light and swingable. I will have the opportunity to shoot the Heym 89b light frame this June in 375 Flanged, I can’t wait.

Nice going! I agree, the double rifle, especially with a red dot sight, can be used out to about 150 yards. I think I am going to try and find a hog hunt here in Texas that I can do with my double. Kind of practice before I go on a ele/buffalo hunt in Zim next year.
Very good idea Bill.

This thread makes me want to take my double out to hunt deer or bear! The thing that has always stopped me in the past has been the rain. It's almost always raining during modern season here.

-Matt
Give it a spray over head to toe with silicone before you go, it will be just fine.

I don’t have any interest in buying or hunting with a double rifle myself, just no added value to the hunt for me personally, but can’t help but be impressed by 3 deer in a day with 470 double. You’ll be ready when you go back to Africa. Nice to see it get used as a working rifle.

Give it a spray over head to toe with silicone before you go, it will be just fine.
Not sure it would be a good idea to cover a double rifle in silicone. Wouldn't that be hard to remove later?

-Matt

Last edited:
I have the Blaser BBF with barrels in 06/06, 06/12G, hornet/20, and 9.2/9.2. It can do nearly everything it is legal. Yes, it's O/U but a blast.

The K Classic should and did come with 06/06 and 20/20 barrels as well. Balance isn't perfect but very good.

I have the Blaser BBF with barrels in 06/06, 06/12G, hornet/20, and 9.2/9.2. It can do nearly everything it is legal. Yes, it's O/U but a blast.

The K Classic should and did come with 06/06 and 20/20 barrels as well. Balance isn't perfect but very good.
Excellent....

Looking at a BBF 9.3x74R/6.5×57R at the moment.
If I could add 7x57R/12ga and 7x65R/7x65R barrels it would be a perfect setup for all PG

@Backyardsniper

What kind of red dot scope do you have mounted on your Kriegoff DR? And how is it mounted?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthaMcCl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.